The NEXT coming Oz election thread!

msolga

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 08:59 am
But, bungie, he didn't say this at all. The PM said so! :wink: Laughing :

bungie wrote:
Australian Workers have never been better off ... Ha ..

Quote:
Abbott admission another Coalition controversy

AAP

16 November 2007

THE Coalition faces more headaches today after a video emerged of frontbencher Tony Abbott admitting Work Choices had stripped workers of protections.

Labor obtained the amateur footage of Mr Abbott telling a local electorate function on Tuesday that he accepted such protections "in inverted commas" had largely gone under the coalition's workplace reforms.

The health minister said the best protection for a sacked worker was to find a new job rather than seek reinstatement via unfair dismissal laws.

From the Townsville Bulletin
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 09:01 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/16/svCARTOON_NOV17_gallery__585x400.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 09:10 am
WOOHOO! Nearly over! Very Happy :

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/15/svCARTOON_NOV16_gallery__567x400.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 09:18 am
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/16/1711_cartoon_gallery__600x362.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 09:23 am
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/13/141107_cartoon_moir_gallery__600x361,0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 11:28 pm
More on the abuse of the Regional Projects Fund following this report yesterday:

bungie wrote:
Rort claims: PM looking down the barrel
Annabel Stafford and Jewel Topsfield, Canberra
November 16, 2007

A DAMNING report on the Howard Government's $328 million regional projects fund has reignited claims that the scheme has been blatantly used by the Government for pork-barrelling in Coalition electorates.

The report, by the National Audit Office, found the scheme had been plagued by political interference, disregard for rules and guidelines and a lack of transparency.

Full article here ...

Vaile's somewhat hysterical response to the Auditor-general's report. Note: JH is letting Vaile carry the can on this one..:

Vaile attacks auditor's office
Cath Hart and Selina Mitchell
November 17, 2007/the AUSTRALIAN

DEPUTY Prime Minister Mark Vaile has launched an extraordinary attack on the office of the Auditor-General following the release of a damning report exposing the Government's abuse of a $328million grants program for regional Australia.

The Nationals leader, who in 1996 argued for the Auditor-General's full independence, has attempted to turn the political blowtorch on the office for its campaign release of a 1200-page report into the controversial Regional Partnerships Program.

"To have an unelected individual who is a statutory office-holder making a decision on the release of a report like this with timing like that -- maybe that's something that needs to be looked at, maybe that's something the next government of Australia should have a look at," Mr Vaile said yesterday.

In October 1996, Mr Vaile outlined to parliament a blueprint for enhancing the independence of the Auditor-General.

"I am sure the Government will take up the recommendations in this report and it will be to the betterment of government and the better governance and scrutiny of governance in this country for many years to come," he said.

Yesterday, Mr Vaile hit out at the Australian National Audit Office, describing as "strange" the release of the report just nine days before the November 24poll.

He signalled that a re-elected Coalition would consider extending election-time caretaker provisions to other non-executive arms of government, such as officers of parliament.

But John Howard failed to back up his deputy yesterday, telling reporters he had "nothing critical to say about the Auditor-General".

The Prime Minister strongly defended the regional partnerships scheme and the involvement of ministers in the process. "I believe that from time to time ministers have every right not to take the advice of their department, otherwise you wouldn't bother having them," Mr Howard said. ... <cont>

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22772733-601,00.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 11:46 pm
... followed by this today! Shocked
I almost feel sorry for the man.
What a farce! How very embarrassing!
And a week before the election!
I think MV might be having a horror day today.:

Vaile in last-ditch pork barrel
Jonathan Pearlman and Phillip Coorey
November 17, 2007/SMH

THE Deputy Prime Minister, Mark Vaile, has announced two unapproved grants worth $900,000 for his own electorate since the election campaign started, under a funding program that has funnelled millions of dollars into rural Coalition seats.

On the same day he came under fire for overseeing the Regional Partnerships Program, which has made dozens of grants to Coalition seats against departmental advice, Mr Vaile pledged $500,000 for a surf lifesaving club at Bonny Hills in his northern NSW seat of Lyne.

A media release on the Nationals website from Thursday said a "new club house will be constructed". But it is understood the local committee that advises on the worthiness of the grant is not due to consider it until February.

On October 31 Mr Vaile, the Nationals leader, announced a grant of $400,000 - the maximum under the program's medical fund - for a medical centre in Lake Cathie.

But the grant was considered by the local Area Consultative Committee only last week, 10 days after Mr Vaile's announcement. It is understood the committee did not approve it because it was concerned it might not meet the program's guidelines.

Mr Vaile's office said the grants were election commitments and did not have to pass the usual approval process because the Government was in caretaker mode. "Neither of these are Government grants - they are election commitments to be delivered by a re-elected Coalition Government," a spokeswoman said. "Neither have been entered into the Regional Partnerships system and so have not been considered by the local Area Consultative Committee."

But Mr Vaile's media releases announcing the grants said they would come from the partnerships program or its medical counterpart. The spokeswoman accused Labor of promising $109 million under its Better Regions program without releasing funding guidelines or costings.

A 1200-page audit of the Regional Parternships Program made public this week quoted legal advice warning ministers not to make election commitments without ensuring they used public money effectively. ...<cont>

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/lastditch-pork-barrel/2007/11/16/1194766968042.html
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 12:16 am
He could say it was a "non-core" promise msolga.

Quote:
Vaile in last-ditch pork barrel
Jonathan Pearlman and Phillip Coorey
November 17, 2007/SMH

THE Deputy Prime Minister, Mark Vaile, has announced two unapproved grants worth $900,000 for his own electorate since the election campaign started, under a funding program that has funnelled millions of dollars into rural Coalition seats.
Mr Vaile's office said the grants were election commitments and did not have to pass the usual approval process because the Government was in caretaker mode.
A 1200-page audit of the Regional Parternships Program made public this week quoted legal advice warning ministers not to make election commitments without ensuring they used public money effectively. ...<cont>

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/lastditch-pork-barrel/2007/11/16/1194766968042.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 12:38 am
But hang on, bungie!
JH is now SUPPORTING Mark Vaile! This is a roller coaster, so exciting! Razz <gasp>

The argument goes that Vaile's most recent stuff-ups occurred during a period when the government was in care-taker mode. So he couldn't have POSSIBLY have had these newest bribes ... er grants .. processed properly (then duely granted!) could he?

(Ya gotta admire his gumption, gotta say that! Nice try, JH, but NO, that doesn't quite work! Laughing)

I mean, where the hell was Mark Vaile during all of this government's term, then? PLENTY of time for going through the proper processes!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 12:48 am
If any of you really want to check out some details of recent spending & pork barrelling (by both sides) here's the Pork-o-meter, courtesy of the AGE. Your taxes at work!:

http://www.theage.com.au/multimedia/pork-o-meter_oct07/november16/
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 01:06 am
Wasn't that fun?

(Loved the animation. Laughing )

It was interesting that there were "no contributions for today", yes?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 08:42 pm
Polls predict Labor to win in key seats
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2007 0:00am AEDT
ABC NEWS online

The Galaxy poll predicts the ALP will win 18 seats - including Mr Howard's electorate of Bennelong.

With less than a week to go until polling day, a new opinion poll shows Labor set to win in key marginal seats across the country.

Labor needs to take 16 seats from the Coalition to win power, and the Galaxy poll in today's Sunday Telegraph shows it in front in 18 seats, including 10 in New South Wales.

Of those, the poll has Prime Minister John Howard's seat of Bennelong to fall, as well as Malcolm Turnbull's seat of Wentworth, and the bellwether electorate of Eden-Monaro.

The survey of 4,000 voters has Labor picking up the key seats of Bass and Braddon in Northern Tasmania as well as two in Queensland, three in South Australia and one in the Northern Territory.

The polls were conducted after both the Coalition and Labor's campaign launches. .... <cont>

http://www.abc.com.au/news/stories/2007/11/18/2093896.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 08:50 pm
Rudd's winning plan
Kerry-Anne Walsh, Political Correspondent
November 18, 2007/SMH

THE first act of prime minister Kevin Rudd if he wins Saturday's election will be to ratify the Kyoto Protocol on climate change, the Labor leader has revealed.

As the final countdown to the November 24 poll begins, Mr Rudd outlined to The Sun-Herald his top five policy goals for the first 100 days if Labor forms government.

Declaring Christmas and Boxing Day the only holidays the first Labor cabinet in 11 years would enjoy over the summer break if victorious, he promised to oversee the implementation of policies in all portfolios.

"I believe leadership is about leading, with clear-cut direction," he said.

If victorious Mr Rudd wants to become known as "the education prime minister". He set five key goals for a Labor government's first three months:

1. Ratify the Kyoto Protocol. "We need to make sure we are around the negotiating table immediately ... for the next round of commitments on reducing global greenhouse gas emissions."

2. Start immediately to negotiate with the states on reform of hospital practices. "That is of crucial importance - we've got $2.5billion on the table but we'll need to frame a co-operative agreement around performance measures."

3. Begin the roll-out of the high-speed broadband network, along with connections to schools. In tandem, open up tenders for the $1 billion school computer program.

4. "Hit the ground running" with the implementation of the $2.5 billion program to upgrade trades training centres in secondary schools. "I went back to C block [the technical faculty] at [his old school] Nambour High the other day - it hadn't changed since I was there. It was like walking into a museum."

5. Begin negotiations with the Americans and Iraqis for the staged withdrawal by mid next year of Australian combat troops. "I have been very blunt with President Bush ... I have a no-surprises policy when it comes to these things."

Mr Rudd said a Labor government would start work immediately.... <cont>

http://www.smh.com.au/news/federal-election-2007-news/my-first-5-steps-as-pm/2007/11/17/1194767020799.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 01:59 am
Alas, these developments may be much, much too late to save Malcolm! :wink::

Gunns might yet find the miller's tale has an unhappy ending
James Kirby
November 18, 2007/the AGE

THE commercial logic of Tasmania's new pulp mill is crumbling by the day. If only Environment Minister Malcolm Turnbull could have delayed his approval for the monster mill a few more months, he might have saved himself a lot of bother.

It's extraordinary really, but in the six weeks since Turnbull signed off on the application from Gunns Ltd, bankers to the mill are dithering, while the builder doesn't think it will go ahead.

While Gunns chief executive John Gay has been looking over his shoulder threatening court action against environmentalists, he should have been looking straight ahead, because some stockbrokers have been losing faith in the company and are now arguing the mill could be a flop.

The backlash against Gunns from inside the market is based on fears that current high pulp prices cannot be sustained; forecasters believe pulp prices will begin a steep plunge in two year's time, just as the mill is set to open.

Of course, most brokers are keeping their mouths shut tight in the lead up to an election where the mill is a controversial issue. But the stockmarket never lies. After a false start when Gunns stock jumped more than 10% in the wake of the approval, the stock has been drifting down from almost $4 to $3.65.

In fact, nothing is going right for Gunns. The rising Australian dollar makes our pulp exports dearer, while rising interest rates and a crisis in the credit market mean the cost of finance is getting stretched.

Stockbrokers UBS suggest the delays and amendments prior to Turnbull's approval will cost Gunns an extra $200 million, while Charlie Aitken of Southern Cross Equities says: "There's a growing chance they commission the new mill right when pulp prices collapse. I think the Gunns board has taken a pretty big risk with the mill go-ahead."

Worse still, the sheer capacity of the proposed $2 billion mill means there is a strong argument that it will actually accelerate the collapse of global pulp prices. ...<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/business/the-millers-tale-may-have-an-unhappy-ending/2007/11/17/1194767021125.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 02:17 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/17/svCARTOON_NOV18_gallery__549x400.jpg
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 03:24 am
Okay, I'm going to have a little bitch here...This is the second night in a row (well, not consecutive, but relative) that Liberal Ads have been outnumbering Labor ones by about 10:1.

The sheer amount of them is getting really, really irritating...it seems like at least twice every add break.

Thank God (you're here) there's only one week left ...heheh...watching Thank God you're here, right now.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 03:29 am
Yeah, I've noticed the discrepancy in numbers. I think we're lucky that Bonzai is so on the nose. I don't think Labor have run a very smart campaign considering the ammunition they've got.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 04:34 am
Well, apart from the sheer number of ads, the main reason they are so annoying is they say nothing about what the Libs are going to do for Australia...it's all incredibly negative "don't trust labor, they'll stuff the economy, they'll make you pay more in interest, they're unionists, they'll ruin small business" and anything else the Libs can dream up.

That is to say, I'm not interested in hearing how bad the other party is...I prefer to know just what the party that wants to get elected has in plan for Australia.

Maybe I'm in the minority.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 06:28 am
vikorr wrote:

Maybe I'm in the minority.

Nope.
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 01:15 pm
dadpad wrote:
vikorr wrote: