The NEXT coming Oz election thread!

vikorr

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 01:50 pm
Then why, at every election, is most of the advertising negative...one would think that it must work (surely they research this sort of thing).

Of course this election period, the ads have been much worse than usual (probably because of the sheer number of them)
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 11:35 pm
Who saw K07 on Rove?

What'd you think?

I thought he was pretty damn good.

I thought Bob Brown was brilliant:

Rove: 'Who would you turn straight for?'

Bob: 'Missy Higgins'

LOL (we saw her the night before in Kuranda and understand Bob's feelings).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 01:28 am
vikorr wrote:
Then why, at every election, is most of the advertising negative...one would think that it must work (surely they research this sort of thing).

Of course this election period, the ads have been much worse than usual (probably because of the sheer number of them)

I'm glad I haven't been watching much television lately, vikorr ... or I might well be fretting along with you!

Most of the Libs' advertising is so negative because they have nought else to offer us voters. (Obviously!) So .... they try they to scare the living daylights out of us, instead!: CHANGE IS VERY, VERY DANGEROUS!

Must be costing heaps, but whose paying attention any more, hey? Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 01:32 am
hingehead wrote:

Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 03:14 am
Very funny! Laughing

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5756670,00.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 03:16 am
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/18/1911_cartoon_gallery__600x369,0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 03:37 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/18/svCARTOON_NOV19_gallery__572x400.jpg
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 06:34 am
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22783462-952,00.html

Quote:
Government spent $200m on ads, says report
THE Howard Government spent almost $200 million on advertising campaigns in the year to June 2007, a Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet report says.

$200M in the first half of the year, and the second half will have beaten that I should think.

Quote:

Considering she just admitted to being a lesbian, that's really clever (or was it that she swung both ways?)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 02:41 pm
vikorr wrote:

Considering she just admitted to being a lesbian

Like that was news to anyone!

JH is GONE. There's never been a consistent year of opinion polls that have been so wrong come the election. Unless everyone's been lying for the last 12 months, we're finally going to be rid of this right wing scum.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 07:16 pm
I'm still worried.

Hey - what are going to do to this thread post election?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 08:49 pm
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22789916-601,00.html

Quote:
PM denies Work Choices cover-up

JOHN Howard has denied that his government's decision to stop the release of controversial Work Choices documents showed it had planned to extend it.

Mr Howard today denied his government was planning a second wave of Work Choices laws two years ago.

The Howard government won a legal bid yesterday to suppress secret Work Choices documents, saying the release of the papers would lead to speculation that the coalition planned a new wave of workplace changes.

The Seven network reported last night that the government secretly planned to take its unpopular Work Choices laws further two years ago but shelved the idea.

The Seven network's and Australian newspaper's 29-month Freedom of Information battle to obtain departmental documents ended yesterday with the Administrative Appeals Tribunal refusing access.

FOI is one of those laws that really need change. Unless there is national security, personal security, or commercial security at risk, then there is no good reason to supress Government information.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 10:27 pm
vikorr wrote:

FOI is one of those laws that really need change. Unless there is national security, personal security, or commercial security at risk, then there is no good reason to supress Government information.

But that's the insidious cleverness of Howard - privatise everything so that govt departments become mere contract managers (not service deliverers) and everything becomes 'commercial in confidence'.

Ask Joe Hockey about the indigenous employment deal with the South Sydney bunnies.... Holmes ACourt did a majestic deal clinch you won't track down in FOI requests.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 01:08 am
hingehead wrote:
I'm still worried.

Yeah. Me, too.

It just seems too effortless, or something .... Too easy.

Mind you, hinge, I'm a worry wart!

hingehead wrote:
Hey - what are going to do to this thread post election?

My proposal is this: after our hysterical, hung-over jubilation about the banishment of JH forever ( Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ) - or our utter disbelief & revulsion that he has lived to face another term (Please no, PLEASE!!!!! Shocked )! ... that a new Oz politics thread be created to replace this one. (We replaced the last Oz election thread with this one after the 2004 election. <sob>)

Nominations are now formally called for the title of this new thread!

The NEXT, NEXT Oz Election thread? :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 01:18 am
hingehead wrote:
vikorr wrote:

But that's the insidious cleverness of Howard - privatise everything so that govt departments become mere contract managers (not service deliverers) and everything becomes 'commercial in confidence'.

Sadly, vikorr, my own (Labor, of course) state government has been guilty of exactly the same!

A huge disappointment to many of us who were ecstatic about the the defeat of the Kennett (Liberal) government by Labor. But Labor just carried on from pretty much where the Libs left off. Didn't miss a beat.Sad
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 01:22 am
what was wrong with my HOWARDS END thread? I just wanted you guys to know that US looks on Howard as erzats support of G bush, and I cant believe that the rest of the world is pleased with where the US is going.

We are linked by hope. Except you have a chance to correct things much sooner than we.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 01:52 am
farmerman wrote:
what was wrong with my HOWARDS END thread? I just wanted you guys to know that US looks on Howard as erzats support of G bush, and I cant believe that the rest of the world is pleased with where the US is going.

We are linked by hope. Except you have a chance to correct things much sooner than we.

Absolutely nothing was wrong with your thread, farmer.

Really!

You have absolutely no argument from most of us who frequent this thread.

We all know that John Howard is GWB's No 1 supporter, for god knows what reason! Hell, George didn't call him his "deputy sheriff" (gag) for nothing!

Anyway, the days of mindlessly following the US, wherever the US goes, appear to be coming to an end with the likely demise of Howard & the Liberal Party. (Howard did not even mention Iraq is his recent campaign"official" launch speech. Not exactly a vote winner, these days! :wink: Mind you we never supported the Iraq invasion in the first place! There was very strong opposition from the very start.)

Admittedly the Rudd (Labor) alternative is a damn sight more conservative than I personally would prefer, but the main thing (to many of us) is to see the end of a deeply depressing period in Oz political history.

So, yes, wish us luck, farmer. (We vote this Saturday night! <gulp>)

And the best of luck to the US in your coming election (not all that far off, really).

Here's to a saner, more compassionate world! Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 01:52 am
Farmerman, Mr. Howard has been Mr. Bush's puppy for far to long, come next Saturday and he'll wish he'd never hear of his master George because the Australian people will kick him to the proverbial scrapheap.

PM. Howard is unable to tell me what we are doing in Iraq! What have the Iraqi people done to Australia? 20 Million Iraqi nomads a threat to world peace, what utter bullsh*t! How can you vote for such an incompetent individual who believes that?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 05:02 am
ALP takes winning lead into final week
Dennis Shanahan, Political editor
November 20, 2007/the AUSTRALIAN

LABOR goes into the final days of the election campaign with a clear winning lead and voter satisfaction with Kevin Rudd back to near-record levels.

John Howard and the Coalition have made ground on Labor and its leader since the campaign began five weeks ago but still trail on a two-party-preferred basis by 46 per cent to 54 per cent.

According to the latest Newspoll survey, conducted exclusively for The Australian last weekend, primary vote support for the Coalition was 41 per cent, with the ALP on 46 per cent. There was a slight narrowing of Labor's lead from eight points a week earlier to five points.

The Opposition Leader and the Prime Minister continued to campaign in marginal seats yesterday, with both declaring the election will be tight. Mr Howard and Peter Costello also used a joint interview on the Seven Network's Today Tonight program to sell the Liberals' leadership team, joking about their marriage-like relationship and assuring voters that the Treasurer would be elected "unopposed" to replace Mr Howard if the Government were returned. But Labor's lead in the latest Newspoll is enough for it to gain the 16 seats it needs for victory if the support resulted in a uniform swing on Saturday.

In the final week, Mr Howard is trying to put pressure on Mr Rudd over Labor's record of economic management, which has been the Coalition's strong point over the Opposition.

Newspoll shows Mr Howard has kept his lead over Mr Rudd on the question of who would be the better economic manager by 51per cent to 35 per cent. The 16-point lead for the Prime Minister has improved since before the election was called and there has been an interest rate rise.

On the question of who is preferred prime minister, Mr Howard has closed Mr Rudd's lead and is at his best standing - 42 per cent to Mr Rudd's 46per cent - for several months.

But Mr Rudd has kept clear leads over Mr Howard on the issues of health and education.

In the area of health, where the federal Coalition has been targeting state governments over hospital failures, Mr Rudd leads Mr Howard by 53 per cent to 33 per cent, only a slight change since the start of the campaign.
Mr Rudd, who has promoted his "education revolution", has a 22-point lead over Mr Howard on the issue of education of 54 per cent to 32 per cent.

Satisfaction with Mr Rudd generally has climbed back to 64 per cent, the highest it has been during the election campaign and near his record high of 68 per cent earlier this year.

Mr Howard's satisfaction and dissatisfaction has been evenly split - 47 per cent and 46 per cent - essentially the same that it has been during the election campaign. ...<cont>

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22788090-601,00.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 05:09 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/19/svCARTOON_NOV20_gallery__600x292.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 05:11 am
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/19/201107_cartoon_moir_gallery__546x400,0.jpg
0 Replies