At which point did you switch off, Deb? Maybe we can catch you up. Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:11 am
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:17 am
This is very funny, Deb. You've switched off, to save your sanity, obviously. But I am SO switched onto the whole mess! (Obsessed, perhaps? Shocked ) I feel an almost personal responsibilty to find a solution to Labor's miserable state of affairs. Is there a cure for this condition, please, doctor? :wink:
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:20 am
Well the first polls close on the US election about midday AEDST

http://uselectionatlas.org/USPRESIDENT/national.php?year=2004&f=0

Right now it's about 7.30 on the East coast.

Wonder what sort of a world we'll have in 24 hours
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:22 am
Care to make a prediction, hinge? Not what you hope, what you think! :wink:
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:27 am
I'm actually leaning to Kerry, there is much talk of soft swings. Terrifyingly I think bad weather could be a factor, and long queues.

The Mackerras line mentioned somewhere here does have some validity. Noone who voted for Gore would vote for Bush (would they?) and surely Bush has lost some swinging voters.

So the new registrants hold the key.

My wild prediction - A plane will hit a building just before the polls open and Bush will be in for 4 terms, or until they find out it was the CIA organised the training of the pilots....

Sorry I have a very active imagination and a love for plot twists.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:35 am
You're really getting into the spirit of things, I see! Laughing

The Mackerras prediction is in the Views of the US election by non-US folk thread, posted yesterday.

I really, really do not want to wake up tomorrow morning & hear a Bush victory prediction! Shocked
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:36 am
msolga wrote:
This is very funny, Deb. You've switched off, to save your sanity, obviously. But I am SO switched onto the whole mess! (Obsessed, perhaps? Shocked ) I feel an almost personal responsibilty to find a solution to Labor's miserable state of affairs. Is there a cure for this condition, please, doctor? :wink:

Lol - well, as you know, we've been here, done this, before.

I am in a period of dissociation - especially as I have heard what they have planned - so far - in the teeth of their platform. At present, I assume they are drunk with power.

Labor will go through a period of disorganization and bloodletting - sad but true.

I will get active - but for now, sex, booze and my personal equivalent of macrame.

Reality is for those unable to afford drugs.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:37 am
I'm feeling a bit hyper, just wrote my first job app for Cairns and now I'm trying to wind down before attempting sleep.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:37 am
And - IF YOU BLOODY PEOPLE DON'T STOP PREDICTING A KERRY WIN, BUSH IS GONNA GET IN IN A LANDSLIDE - SO STOP IT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:38 am
Oh, good! What's the job, if it's OK to ask?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:46 am
dlowan wrote:
msolga wrote:

Lol - well, as you know, we've been here, done this, before.

I am in a period of dissociation - especially as I have heard what they have planned - so far - in the teeth of their platform. At present, I assume they are drunk with power.

Labor will go through a period of disorganization and bloodletting - sad but true.

I will get active - but for now, sex, booze and my personal equivalent of macrame.

Reality is for those unable to afford drugs.

I keep trying to get people here to talk about THEIR ideas re where Labor goes to from here .... Have posted articles with different views on the subject. But can I get a single, solitary one of you to say what you think? Nope. (PS ... no way am I suggesting that now (11:45 pm) is a good time to do this! :wink: )
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:47 am
I'm not super sure what the day to day would involve, some sort of systems support and advice to management in a Queensland state govt program to help DOGIT communities (Deeds of Government In Trust) become shire councils under state legislation, ie improving their services to their communities like sewarage water et al.

DOGIT communities are where the state goverment has given indigenous people 'land rights' without actual ownership (ergo 'In Trust').

That sounds more worthwhile, though less glamourous, than my present position at the country's premier sport institution.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:48 am
dlowan wrote:
And - IF YOU BLOODY PEOPLE DON'T STOP PREDICTING A KERRY WIN, BUSH IS GONNA GET IN IN A LANDSLIDE - SO STOP IT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huh? You serious, DEb?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:54 am
Oh yeah, I'm sure I had a rant about what happened to the ALP (shrinking constituencies among intellectuals and blue collar workers).

I have no solutions because what I think they should be and what will get them reelected are very, very different. It's not the ALP we have to change as much as we have to change the bloody electorate.

I liked Bill Clinton's sound grab 'Vote for the politician who wants you to hope and think'

Well I would Bill, if I could find the bugger under all that prevarication they feel they have to go through whenever a microphone is shoved in their faces.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:55 am
YES!!!! DAMMIT!!!!

Good luck Hinge.
0 Replies