The NEXT coming Oz election thread!

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:51 am
:wink:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/11/svCARTOON_NOV12_gallery__554x400.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:05 am
Your vote buys these: PM

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/12/howardlaunch_wideweb__470x332,0.jpg
On a wave ... John and Janette Howard at the launch of the Liberal Party election campaign in Brisbane.
Photo: Reuters

November 12, 2007 - 4:26PM

Pledges:
· Childcare rebates paid upfront
· More childcare places
· School fees rebates
· Home savings account tax break

A re-elected coalition government would pay the childcare rebate up-front, give tax breaks for school fees, and for savings accounts to go towards first-time buyers' homes.

Brisbane Lord Mayor Campbell Newman officially opened the campaign launch in Brisbane, introducing members of the Howard cabinet to the 1700-strong crowd.

In scenes suited to a television game show, ministers stood up and waved to the crowd as they were introduced. ...<cont>

http://www.smh.com.au/news/federal-election-2007-news/your-vote-buys-these-pm/2007/11/12/1194766564639.html
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 06:32 am
The is the story of my life as per usual. Every time there is a government initiative we somehow just manage to miss out.

Evil or Very Mad

no need for childcare
own our home already
son has one year of school left.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:57 pm
dadpad wrote:
The is the story of my life as per usual. Every time there is a government initiative we somehow just manage to miss out.

Evil or Very Mad

no need for childcare
own our home already
son has one year of school left.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

ME TOO dadpad
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:03 pm
http://www.nicholsoncartoons.com.au/cartoons/new/2007-11-13%20Howard%20big%20spend%20226.jpg

Nicholson of "The Australian" newspaper: www.nicholsoncartoons.com.au
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:06 pm
ME TOO in reverse .......

Quote:
PM takes on Labor's working families

AAP

13 November 2007

PRIME Minister John Howard today will be out plugging the more than $9 billion in promises made at his campaign launch, while challenger Kevin Rudd swots for his big moment tomorrow.

With a week and a half left to polling day, Mr Howard unveiled election carrots in education, housing and childcare in Brisbane yesterday in a bid to claw back Labor's commanding lead.

The prime minister flirted with the "me too" habit of which he has often accused Mr Rudd by announcing a tax-free savings plan for first home buyers and tax deductions for education costs - both similar to Labor polices.

But he massively outspent the opposition in both areas that, until now, have been seen as Labor's election strengths.

Mr Howard will be hoping the family-friendly policies show voters the coalition is genuine about helping people who may still be struggling in otherwise good economic times.

He told the faithful at the Queensland Performing Arts Centre he wanted to be prime minister again to build a stronger and greater Australia.

The Liberal leader also warned voting for Labor because of storm clouds gathering over the economy.

Mr Rudd dismissed the speech as stale and lacking fresh policies, particularly on hospitals, climate change and infrastructure challenges.

He said Mr Howard, who plans to retire during the next term if re-elected, had run out of ideas for the future.

Mr Rudd said Labor's campaign launch - in Brisbane tomorrow at the same venue - will offer a much better vision while not spending as much.

Both leaders start the day in Brisbane, while Nationals leader Mark Vaile is in the central Queensland town of Emerald.

Copied from here
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:40 pm
dadpad wrote:

Wrong class/wrong wage bracket, perhaps? :wink::

Howard's new frontier: upper class welfare
Tony Wright
November 13, 2007/the AGE

What Mr Howard was really doing was redefining welfare. Once, it was for the poor. During John Howard's prime ministership, middle-class welfare has become the lurk of the times. Now, he was offering a whole new dimension: upper-class welfare.

Within a few minutes, he had managed to offer $9.3 billion to help parents avoid paying a third of their child-care costs; to pay parents to send their children to school; and to help families and young folk build a tax-free pile to lever their way into the first home owners' club.

There are obviously strong arguments for each of these initiatives. Lots of families and young would-be home owners need help, and among their ranks, Mr Howard may yet prove to be a champion for another go round.

But Mr Howard, whose really strong argument, unstated, was that he had to outdo the detestable Kevin Rudd somehow, wasn't about to means test any of these hand-outs.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:57 pm
...& that was such a divisive "official" JH/Lib launch!
All morning I've been listening to parents from public & private schools arguing like crazy about funding. I won't even call it "education funding" .... this has really been about putting money back into the pockets of folk whose children attend private schools.

And it'll make absolutely no difference at all to the quality of the education experience in this country.

Nor will Kevin07's "education revolution" based on (privately owned) computers, for heaven's sake! Rolling Eyes

I've said it before: FUND THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS PROPERLY, DAMMIT!
They can't survive on the smell of an oily rag forever, you know!
Equal access & equal opportunity of education for ALL Australian children, regardless of whether their parents are wealthy or which schools their parents "choose"!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:02 pm
<taking deep breath>

OK, rant over now.

There's something about Julie Bishop (on my radio just now) rabbiting on about "education choice" that does it to me, every time! Shocked
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:15 pm
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/12/1311_cartoon_gallery__600x342.jpg

" .... Yesterday's campaign launch added $9.34 billion to a shopping list that, on a Financial Review count, now tops $64 billion of tax cuts and new spending in just 3½ years. That would only rev up demand at a time when the Reserve says we have to slow it.

The Reserve now sees inflation topping its target zone of 2 to 3 per cent almost throughout 2008. Yet it argues that the two recent rate rises will help take excess heat out of the economy by then, bringing inflation back to 3 per cent by the end of next year. But then, it could be wrong. ..."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/federal-election-2007-news/btim-colebatchb/2007/11/12/1194766590337.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:28 pm
... & the word from Paul on Workchoices.:

PM a slave to ideology
Paul Keating

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/12/OP_wideweb__470x341,2.jpg
Illustration: Spooner

John Howard's mission to smash trade unions ignores the economic gains made with their co-operation.

... WorkChoices is nothing more than a bitchy ideologically based attempt to break down the wages and working conditions of the lowest-paid Australians; in the main, women and young people.

And the reason John Howard never mentioned WorkChoices in the 2004 election campaign was because he never expected to have control of the Senate after that election to pass such a draconian piece of law.

WorkChoices only happened because the unexpected control of the Senate gave Howard his lifetime chance to break the back of trade unions. The same trade unions which, by 2005, had given him nine years of moderate wage outcomes consistent with an inflation rate of 2.5 per cent. .....

http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/paul-keating/2007/11/12/1194766588111.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:44 pm
... & a bit more on JH & integrity. (I know you can't get enough of this stuff! :wink: :

The great deceiver is in a class of his own
Ross McMullin

VARIOUS commentators have highlighted similarities between the 1996 election campaign and the current one, especially concerning opposition tactics. But little recent attention has been paid to 1996 in the context of what happened after that election. This neglect suits John Howard.

In the lead-up to the 1996 election Howard delivered a series of vague "headland" speeches that were deliberately long on generalities and short on specifics.

What was specific was his guarantee during the campaign that an incoming Howard government would retain numerous social policy initiatives of the Keating government.

During the 1996 campaign Howard was asked whether this pledge was qualified in any way, whether he may have to modify it in response to unforeseen contingencies that he might encounter in office. Not at all, he insisted. The guarantee was absolute and unconditional.

Another feature of Howard's 1996 campaign, remarkable though this appears in hindsight, was his emphasis on restoring the electorate's trust in politicians.

Having won the 1996 election, Howard swiftly dismantled many of the previous government's initiatives that he had pledged to retain. While this breach of trust was most blatantly evident in higher education, labour market programs and the ABC, a range of other cuts in the 1996 horror budget also clearly contravened Howard's pre-election promises. Howard's justification has become part of Australian political folklore. These undertakings didn't really count, he explained, because they were non-core promises.

In the context of contested credibility in the 2007 campaign, some commentators have contrasted the failure to mention WorkChoices before the 2004 election with its subsequent introduction after the Howard Government's horizons expanded in response to its unexpected Senate majority.

However, it is the 1996 background, not 2004, that makes Howard's strident 2007 accusations about Labor's intentions most hypocritical.

Howard's own conduct in 1996 was the most flagrant display of precisely what he now desperately asserts is Labor's (alleged) reprehensible plan. He no doubt hopes that the current collective amnesia about 1996 persists.

Moreover, in view of Howard's record in government beyond 1996, he displays extraordinary effrontery in making accusations about trust and credibility at all.

This is not just a consequence of his predicament arising from his pledge on interest rates, which was the centrepiece of his 2004 election campaign and has left his economic credibility self-evidently in tatters.

It has become apparent that the purported premise for our involvement, weapons of mass destruction, also was obviously false.

Following America into Iraq has not been in our national interest. Iraq has become, as many commentators predicted, a bloody quagmire, and the invasion that we joined has not only created more potential terrorists but made Australia more of a terrorist target.

Australians understand this, even though Howard and his ministers keep denying the obvious and coerce officials into toeing the Government line.

In view of Howard's record on Iraq, it would be hard for Australians to believe or trust him if he declared in the future that there were compelling reasons for Australia to follow America into some other conflict. Howard's credibility is as diminished on national security as it is on interest rates.

John Howard, the leader who said in opposition he would make a priority of restoring trust in politicians, has in office placed himself in a class of his own for deceitfulness in modern Australian politics.Furthermore, it is not only Howard's repeated willingness to be cavalier with the truth that has undermined our political culture. The emergence of the concept of plausible deniability during his Government has debauched the bureaucracy. .... <cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/the-great-deceiver-is-in-a-class-of-his-own/2007/11/12/1194766588117.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 12:47 pm
Well they can't blame workers pay increases for this price rise.
How do the little people pass on their increased costs ?
I can see a lot more people defaulting on their house loans etc in the future.

Quote:
Food price shock

LENDL RYAN

14Nov07

THE cost of staple items are about to rise, a bottle of milk for the fifth time in the past six months.

And the National Retail Association says that's not all _ they are expecting a 25 per cent rise in dairy products, 25 per cent in poultry, a 15 per cent increase in beef and 10 per cent rise in the cost of bread _ all in the next six months.
Harold Street Mini Mart manager Steve Ward said bread companies had informed him of an estimated 20 cent rise in the next two weeks.
Parmalat and Dairy Farmers had also issued letters notifying of a 10 cent per litre rise _ their fifth this year.
Fruit juice companies are also expected to raise their prices by about 17 cents.
And Coca-Cola Amatil has advised of an increase in soft drinks as of December 3.
National Retail Association director Gary Black said the increases would be nationwide.

Townsville Bulletin
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 04:20 pm
True story.

I know someone who works for Dept Employment of Workplace Relations.

They are undergoing what can only be described as workplace bullying (by every definition I can find). They were so distraught last week that I called the dept's HR section (and emailed them) to find out the official DEWR procedure for having a perceived bullying issue investigated and resolved. I called because the person is fearful of repercussions for even asking the question. I'm sufficiently removed from this person (geographically and socially) to insulate them from any fallout (not that I'm suggesting there necessarily would be - but to ensure this person's ease of mind)

It's been 6 days and I have not received a response. What should my next move be? An open letter to the Australian? A letter to the minister? I'm an ex-public servant myself, and I'm appalled by the lack of response from the Dept - even in acknowledging receipt of the query.

This person is not a member of the union any more (had to resign to take an executive level position a long time ago). Advice appreciated.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 04:42 am
That's a hard one, hinge.

A pity the person is no longer a union member, as that would be the obvious place to take such a grievance.

And DEWR's HR dept could argue that it's inappropriate to respond to your concerns because it's an internal issue & you're an "outsider".

Hard to say whether it's a good idea to write a letter to the press without knowing the details. (I assume it's not just your "standard" type of workplace harassment (between individuals & by bosses), but that there's also a political element, too.)

The problem is, by drawing attention to any details of the situation you could be indirectly identifying your friend.

It's a vexing situation & I'm sorry, but I'm stumped.
I feel enormous sympathy for your friend & the stress s/he must be under. A bugger of a situation working for that lot, alright!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:55 am
Anything left in the kitty, do you think?:
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/13/wbTOONleunig1411_gallery__556x400,0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 07:03 am
Sigh. They've done it again!:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5749240,00.jpg

Man seeks justice after 5 years wrongful detention

THE Federal Government faces another humiliating compensation payout that could run into millions of dollars as a result of court action taken by a Vietnamese-born man.

Tony Tran, 35, was unlawfully detained for more than five years and badly bashed in early 2005 at the Baxter Detention Centre by a mentally ill inmate with a history of violence, a statement of claim filed in the Supreme Court of Victoria says. ....

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/man-seeks-justice-over-wrongful-detention/2007/11/13/1194766676846.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1[/quote]
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 07:40 am
Something I completely overlooked in JH's "official" launch the other night & someone pointed out in the paper today: He didn't mention Iraq once in that speech! No "staying till the job's finished" & "sticking by your mates" (ie Bush), etc, etc, etc ....

Surprised

Isn't that interesting?!
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 12:05 pm
Pork barreling ? no, no never .....

Quote:
Rort claims: PM looking down the barrel

Annabel Stafford and Jewel Topsfield, Canberra
November 16, 2007

A DAMNING report on the Howard Government's $328 million regional projects fund has reignited claims that the scheme has been blatantly used by the Government for pork-barrelling in Coalition electorates.

The report, by the National Audit Office, found the scheme had been plagued by political interference, disregard for rules and guidelines and a lack of transparency.

Full article here ...
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 12:08 pm
Australian Workers have never been better off ... Ha ..

Quote:
Abbott admission another Coalition controversy

AAP

16 November 2007

THE Coalition faces more headaches today after a video emerged of frontbencher Tony Abbott admitting Work Choices had stripped workers of protections.

Labor obtained the amateur footage of Mr Abbott telling a local electorate function on Tuesday that he accepted such protections "in inverted commas" had largely gone under the coalition's workplace reforms.

The health minister said the best protection for a sacked worker was to find a new job rather than seek reinstatement via unfair dismissal laws.

From the Townsville Bulletin
0 Replies