The NEXT coming Oz election thread!

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 06:01 pm
We had Aussie politics on the radio today.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 06:06 pm
littlek wrote:

Yes, k?

Predicting doom for the current (Liberal) government, I hope?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 06:16 pm
Piers was on Insiders today. wottatwot.

He agreed with Latham on 'there's no health crisis, no housing crisis' but disagreed with him on 'Rudd will be even more economically conservative than they appear in election mode', then called Latham an 'idiot savant' who got some things right and some completely wrong. And strangely didn't see the connection between Latham's 'right' and 'wrong' and his (Akkerman's) personal opinions. Who pays this toad (money or attention)? A model of self-delusion.

In wrap up Marr said why isn't anyone talking about Ruddock, Tampa and 2001, the stolen generation, refugee detention, etc. Akkerman's wrap up was a typed note he'd swiped from a noticeboard of a Bennelong senior citizen's club saying the meeting with Maxine McKew had been cancelled due to 'lack of interest'. Way to go with the journalist's incisive insight Piers.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 06:31 pm
Can't stand that man! Pompous git.<shudder>

I read Latham's article (Financial Review, I think?). I have this problem that I agree with most of his observations about the current version of the ALP & I also preferred his policies. That would make me crazy, too, I guess? Rolling Eyes

Actually, I believe a lot of the bad press about Latham's supposed craziness was hugely over-stated (by the press & both sides of politics.) Aggressive, I'll grant you, but hardly the monster that was painted for us. I think he was actually pretty astute.

I agree with David Marr. Australian voters have such short memories! But then, so much of the media coverage of this campaign has been absolute drivel. (Something damning about Julia Gillard's boyfriend of 15 years ago, today! Rolling Eyes )
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 06:38 pm
I went to school with Latham (the year below him). He wasn't politically active at school (captain of the school and the rugby team). But after graduating from Sydney Uni he became Gough's personal secretary (when Latham left that job a guy from my year got it). Guess there wasn't much of publicly educated talent pool in the western suburbs.

The rejection of Latham is what shaped the chosing of Rudd. This country has lost any zeal for the future and is settling into dotage.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 06:53 pm
Of course, the reason for this abysmal campaign is that both leaders refuse to participate in in-depth interviews, in case they blunder under close scrutiny. So we get very little of substance & lots of petty nonsense instead. Like who stuck their foot in their mouth today Rolling Eyes

I was listen to Jon Faine (774 ABC Melbourne radio) last week & he was talking to Barry Cassidy (as I recall) about how journalists are treated by the leaders. Apparently they're herded into buses at very short notice ... taking them to mystery places somewhere on the campaign trail, where there might be a story of interest or there may not be ... Consequently most of the coverage has been by very junior journos. The more "respected" & experienced political journalists refuse to be treated in this way.

Jon Faine was saying that it has been virtually impossible to arrange in depth interviews with either Howard or Rudd. Both of whom have been in Melbourne recently. They just want to do 5 minute grabs as they're driven to or from the airport. So nothing too lengthy or detailed about policies gets discussed & as for fielding listener's questions: forget it!.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 07:00 pm
hingehead wrote:
I went to school with Latham (the year below him). He wasn't politically active at school (captain of the school and the rugby team). But after graduating from Sydney Uni he became Gough's personal secretary (when Latham left that job a guy from my year got it). Guess there wasn't much of publicly educated talent pool in the western suburbs.

The rejection of Latham is what shaped the chosing of Rudd. This country has lost any zeal for the future and is settling into dotage.

Gosh, you went to school with him! Small world, hey?

I actually thought he was pretty hard working & an astute thinker about policy directions.

Yep, after the all the "excitement" of Latham we had to have a much more homogenized leader. A Mr Clean. Nothing vaguely risky allowed!

Have you ever read his diaries, hinge?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 07:05 pm
Hi Olgs, Nope never read the diaries, can't say I have much interest. In fact I don't think I've ever read any sort of political biography (except for a very old David Frost book on Gough that I found recently...).

When I'm down I think that the reason that Howard and Rudd won't give in depth interviews is not because they are scared of 'foot in mouth' but because there's nothing there, no substance, no 'character', no 'heart'.

I guess I can vote green in the senate....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 07:19 pm
Believe it or not, hinge, the diaries were a fascinating read. I must say was surprised. Some of his observations were very amusing & astute ... & as for policy formulation, the man lived & breathed the stuff! Prolific! I really believe he's been short-changed, though I can understand some of the "character" concerns, within the context of Oz politics.

I've read quite a bit about Gough ... though, sadly, I just don't feel the same about the man over his "explanations" about East Timor. Just don't ring true & I find that very disappointing. Oddly, I have developed a strange sort of respect for Malcolm, these days .... Whoda thunk? Confused

You might be right about the complete lack of substance or heart in both "leaders". Sigh.

I think I'll be voting Green, both houses.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 07:20 pm
msolga wrote:
littlek wrote:

Yes, k?

Unfortunately I was driving in Boston and could only half listen. They did seem to be indicating that Howard and his party were in for a hard slog.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 07:23 pm
littlek wrote:
msolga wrote:
littlek wrote:

Yes, k?

Unfortunately I was driving in Boston and could only half listen. They did seem to be indicating that Howard and his party were in for a hard slog.

They are, rather! Yay! Very Happy
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 07:24 pm
I know what you mean about Fraser.

Did you see Gough and Malcolm together on the 7.30 report early this year/last year with Kerry O'Brien?

The statesmenship of both and, dare I say it, camaraderie between them, bought a tear to our eyes.

Did you know Fraser's local indigenous had the utmost respect for him (mutual) before he entered politics. Hard to believe he could even work with Howard as his treasurer - then again PM at odds with their treasurers is a feature of recent Australian political history.

And you may have talked me into reading the Latham Diaries (to see if I get a mention Rolling Eyes )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 07:33 pm
Yes, I saw that interview. <sniff>

That man Fraser is full of surprises, isn't he? That's interesting!

Yeah, check out the diaries, if you get the opportunity, hinge. It's actually very readable, not heavy going at all. You could probably pick up the odd copy or two in a second hand bookshop, actually. :wink:

(And do let me know if you get a mention!)
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 08:05 pm
And it's November 11

Gough - The Whitlams (vale Stevie and Andy)

Little song about a man called Gough
and a little boy who wanted to be tarred with the same brush
He learnt Latin, held his head up high and he hated the
Liberals tho' he didn't know why

There were reasons - how long have you got?
There are always reasons - how long have you got?

The little boy he's on the stage tonight, his name is Anthony Hayes and he's doing alright
They both went to the same local Canberra school, but Stevie was nine in 1972

What a party - a big day for both of us
A big reason to party - a big day for both of us

Come over have dinner with me, we'll play chess and drink claret
Walk slowly down my little street, you can bring Margaret

November 11 was Armistice Day
A bushranger was slaughtered and Gough was betrayed
November 11 - he wouldn't survive the Governor General in '75
November 11 - a big day for all of us
I said November 11 - Ned Kelly died
Shame Fraser shame and we all cried
For you Gough you Gough you Gough
Edward Gough Whitlam
You Gough you Gough you Gough
Edward Gough Whitlam

Days of wine and roses, days of wine and roses
All the artists flew in and all the arseholes flew out in '72
Edward Gough Whitlam
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 08:11 pm
hingehead wrote:

Days of wine and roses, days of wine and roses
All the artists flew in and all the arseholes flew out in '72
Edward Gough Whitlam

Yeah!

Those were the glory days! Never to be repeated! <sigh>

Crikey, it is Nov 11th today, hinge! How did I miss that?Surprised

Thanks for reminding us!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 08:18 pm
http://www.oph.gov.au/dismissed/images/pictures/dismissed_cattledog.jpg
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 01:22 pm
Workplace watchdog cute and cuddly

http://www.nicholsoncartoons.com.au/cartoons/new/2007-11-10%20Workplace%20watch%20dog%20cute%20and%20cuddly%20226.jpg

Nicholson of "The Australian" newspaper: www.nicholsoncartoons.com.au
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:33 am
......then he got bigger, grew some teeth & became quite unpredictable!

Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:43 am
Lib's "official" launch today. More of the same. And a few more $$$ billions worth of bribes ...... & lots stuff about what terrific financial managers they are (with all these bribes? Laughing), how dangerous Labor is, etc, etc, etc .... :

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/11/11cartoon_gallery__600x392.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:49 am
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5745874,00.jpg

The Prime Minister's explanation for a policy commitment of $500,000 to aid Indonesian orangutans was that an 11-year-old boy called Daniel Clarke asked him to do it. "I thought, 'Gee if somebody is asking me to save the orangutans in the Wallabies dressing room, he's pretty resourceful'. I was really quite affected by it so I said to my staff we've got to do something about it," said the PM.

The question inspired by the federal government's half million dollar pledge is not whether Indonesian orangutans are a deserving species. The question is: why are the rest of us being taken for monkeys?

(from Crikey)
0 Replies