The NEXT coming Oz election thread!

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 04:05 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/10/14/svCARTOON_gallery__470x338.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 04:23 am
Day 1 & the bribes ... er ... promises have started!

We're all gonna be rich! Laughing

Just imagine what he'll be promising by week 6 if the polls don't pick up soon! :wink: :

Coalition tables tax cut promises
Posted 6 hours 15 minutes ago
Updated 4 hours 29 minutes ago

Prime Minister John Howard has unveiled the Coalition's first big campaign pledge with a series of income tax cuts totalling $34 billion over three years.

Mr Howard has released the plan alongside his Treasurer Peter Costello who also outlined a future budget and fiscal policy for the country.

Mr Costello says the goal is for 98 per cent of taxpayers to face a marginal tax rate of 35 per cent or less.

They say that by 2010, the proposals would mean a tax cut of about $50 a week for a family where one parent is on average weekly earnings and the other is doing part-time work.

Mr Howard says he believes the most significant part of the plan is its impact on families.

He says as part of the reforms, 65 per cent of women who return to part-time work after having children will be on a tax rate of 15 per cent or less by 2010.

He says the tax cuts are affordable.

"This plan is all about further building and growing the Australian economy, it's about creating more not less jobs," he said.

"Unlike Labor's anti-small business industrial relations system it will lead to more people entering the workforce."

Threshold changes

Treasurer Peter Costello detailed plans to raise the tax-free threshold over the next three years, from $11,000 to $16,000.

The Coalition's five-year goal is for the tax-free threshold to be raised to $20,000.

Mr Costello also says over the next three years, the top tax rate of 45 cents in the dollar will be lowered to 42 cents and the second top tax rate to 37 cents in the dollar from 40 cents.

The Coalition says if re-elected they would cut tax for the next three years and from July 2010 people would be effectively tax free if they earn less than $16,000 and people would start paying 30 cents in the dollar on 37,000 a year.

The second highest tax rate would be 37 cents in the dollar and it would cut in at earnings of $80,000 a year.

The top tax rate would be 42 cents in the dollar and apply to people on 180,000 a year.

Mr Costello says the goal is for 98 per cent of taxpayers to face a marginal tax rate of 35 per cent or less.

"The reason we are doing this is to encourage more people to enter the workforce," he said.

He says the changes will hopefully see an additional 65,000 people in the workforce.

Mr Costello says the the Budget will remain in surplus by 1 per cent of GDP after the tax cuts.

Campaign

The announcement has been widely recognised as an unusual tactic, as major policy is not usually revealed the first day of the election campaign.

Mr Howard says the tax cuts come at a great cost to the Government but argues it would be good for the economy and do more to help struggling families than Labor's plans.

"We've heard a lot from Mr Rudd about cost of living pressures. We've been promised inquiries and we've had stunts and we've had shopping centre visits," he said.

"But rather than try and fiddle with a committee on prices isn't it better to give people additional purchasing power via a tax cut."

Labor leader Kevin Rudd has not given any indication of when the Opposition will be unveiling details of its tax policy.

"Well I note that in 1996 when Mr Howard was running for election that Mr Howard released his approach to tax three to four weeks into the campaign, can I say on tax we've already got several elements of policy out there," Mr Rudd said.

http://www.abc.com.au/news/stories/2007/10/15/2059904.htm
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 12:48 pm
Prime Minister John Howard has unveiled the Coalition's first big campaign pledge
with a series of income tax cuts totalling $34 billion over three years.

That suggests to me that we have been heavily overtaxed.

Mr Howard says the tax cuts come at a great cost to the Government but argues it would be
good for the economy and do more to help struggling families than Labor's plans.

With this fantastic economy we have, we still admit to having struggling families ?

http://www.abc.com.au/news/stories/2007/10/15/2059904.htm

bonzai did make a slip-up last night .... he said something to the
effect that the economy was good because
wages were kept down by WORKCHOICES. HA !
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 08:27 pm
I laughed when Kerry asked him about education funding dropping over the period of time in government. 'Kerry in the last two years we've added additional funding of $500,000,000' - of course he neglected to mention that most of the funding was for capital projects, which institutions will have to maintain out of their recurrent budgets. And that much of that funding was tied to getting academics to accept AWAs....

And he said it was wrong to focus on the eight years before that.

And then he waffled about how the states get 45% of their funding (65% in Tassie) from the federal government - as if the federal government generates income - we're the golden goose, we fund the federal government but we live in the states. I'm at a loss to understand how he thinks giving our money back to us is an act of magnanimity.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 03:34 am
Most of the reaction from the electorate has been cynicism. Looks like the tax carrot hasn't had much effect. Seems people are finally waking up to this asshole.
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 12:31 pm
http://www.nicholsoncartoons.com.au/cartoons/new/2007-10-17%20Libs%20claw%20back%20in%20polls%20226233.jpg

Nicholson of "The Australian" newspaper: www.nicholsoncartoons.com.au
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 02:07 am
hingehead wrote:
...I'm at a loss to understand how he thinks giving our money back to us is an act of magnanimity.

Well it's their surplus, to do as they choose, apparently! Rolling Eyes

But have you checked out the "savings" based on the different categories of earners? The folk at the bottom of the pile might be able to buy an extra weekly hamburger, or something, with their windfall. Those on the higher, more comfortable earning rates will be doing very nicely, thank you! My question is how is this supposed to help "the economy", as JH keeps claiming it will? Seems to me that the folk with plenty of $$$$ already will have even more $$$$ to splurge. Sounds like a recipe for inflation to me. I guess that the real strugglers will just have to continue eating cake?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 02:51 am
Well of course they should study it & come up with a decent response! I'd far prefer that to yet another mindless, off-the-cuff "Me-too"!:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5705108,00.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 02:55 am
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/10/16/cartoon1710_gallery__470x311,0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 03:11 am
Who wants a worm-free debate just because a certain person says so? Boring, boring, boring! (But perhaps that's the point?):

Catherine Deveny
October 17, 2007/the AGE

WHEN I read the headline "Howard will debate Rudd without the worm", I thought: "So what if Tony Abbott won't be there? That's not worth a headline. Maybe there's a Cold-Hearted Bastard meeting on that night and it's his turn to host." Then I realised that if there was a CHB meeting on, that would mean Philip Ruddock and Kevin Andrews wouldn't be around either. Which would mean Howard would be short three worms. At least he'd still have Peter Costello, and that would be a comfort to him.

Like most of you, I have been disgusted by the recent opportunism, back-pedalling, dog-whistling, pork-barrelling and dirt-digging by the Howard Administration. As well as the manipulation of the Australian Electoral Commission, the phoney campaigning and the blatant misuse of public funds for political advertising. Oh, and the eleventh-hour epiphany about indigenous reconciliation using the handy excuse: "It's not my fault I'm racist, I'm an old bloke."

When I say I'm disgusted, I'm also quietly hopeful. Hopeful that this avalanche of corruption and deception will stop people voting for Howard again. Then I realise that if they were stupid enough to be sucked in by him the first and the second time, there's not much hope. I just hope a few of them have died from xenophobia and affluenza.

What I am most appalled by is that Howard won't allow the worm on the televised debate. Where's the national outrage? It's not just a disgrace; it's an infringement of human rights. You can't have a televised debate without the worm. It's like election day without a sausage sizzle at the local school or election night without Antony Green.

I love the worm. We all love the worm. The only reason that anyone watches the televised debate is to watch the worm. Viewers don't listen to the debate, they watch the worm. Any person who watches a staged political debate to be informed is obviously a moron. But a vote's a vote, even if it is the moron vote.

Labor wants three debates and the Howard camp has only agreed to one at this stage, well before most of its policies are released. Worm free. Why should the Prime Minister be able to dictate the terms of the debate? What do we want? The worm! When do we want it? When the debate is on! ...<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/the-worm-must-return/2007/10/16/1192300763663.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 03:23 am
Look what I just found! Kevin07 wants to save the worm! Laughing :

Labor gets a wriggle on
Dewi Cooke
October 17, 2007 - 5:17PM/the AGE

The Prime Minister's dismissed it - but Labor has welcomed it like a long lost friend.

The much-maligned "worm" is facing a comeback after "Kevin07" launched an online campaign this afternoon to bring back the "time-honoured electronic method of tracking audience reaction".

A Labor spokesman said there had been a "great deal" of support for the worm on talkback radio and from the general public.

"We will keep people informed as to the national support that the worm is getting and hopefully persuade the Prime Minister to be wormed," he said.

The worm has not been seen since the 2001 federal election when it took a dip as Prime Minister Howard spoke about the GST and tax policy. .... <cont>

http://www.kevin07.com.au/get-involved/sign-a-petition/worm.html

http://www.theage.com.au/news/federalelection2007news/labor-gets-a-wriggle-on/2007/10/17/1192300848301.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 03:27 am
Let us hope that the worm has turned.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 06:33 am
This thread is getting to serious, let's inject a little humour seeing that Johnny Howard is the main talking point here.

It was getting a little crowded in Heaven, so God decided to change the admittance policy
The new law was that in order to get into Heaven, you had to have a really bad day on the day that you died
The policy would go into effect at noon the next day.
So the next day at 12:01 the first person came to the gates of Heaven.
The Angel at the gate, remembering the new policy, promptly asked the man, "Before I let you in, I need you to tell me how your day was going when you died."
"No problem," the man said. "I came home to my 25th-floor apartment on my lunch hour and caught my wife having an affair. But her lover was nowhere in sight. I immediately began searching for him. My wife was half naked and yelling at me as I searched the entire apartment. Just as I was about to give up, I happened to glance out onto the balcony and noticed that there was a man hanging off the edge by his fingertips!
The nerve of that guy!
Well, I ran out onto the balcony and stomped on his fingers until he fell to the ground. But wouldn't you know it, he landed in some trees and bushes that broke his fall and he didn't die. This pissed me off even more. In a rage, I went back inside to get the first heavy thing I could get my hands on to throw at him.
Oddly enough, the first thing I thought of was the refrigerator. I unplugged it, pushed it out onto the balcony, and tipped it over the side. It plummeted 25 stories and crushed him!
The excitement of the moment was so great that I had a heart attack and died almost instantly." The Angel sat back and thought a moment.
Technically, the guy did have a bad day,it was a crime of passion.
So, the Angel announced, "OK, sir. Welcome to the Kingdom of Heaven," and let him in.
A few seconds later the next guy came up. To the Angel's surprise, it was John Howard." Mr. Howard, before I can let you in, I need to hear about what your day was like when you died." Johnnie said, "No problem. But you're not going to believe this. I was on the balcony of a 26th floor apartment where we were staying for a conference doing my daily
exercises. I had been under a lot of pressure so I was really pushing hard to relieve my stress. I guess I got a little carried away, slipped, and accidentally fell over the side! Luckily, I was able to catch myself by the fingertips on the balcony below mine. But all of a sudden this crazy man comes running out of his apartment, starts cussing, and stomps on my fingers.
Well, of course I fell. I hit some trees and bushes at the bottom which broke my fall, so I didn't die right away.
As I'm laying there face up on the ground, unable to move and in excruciating pain, I see this guy push his refrigerator of all things off the balcony. It falls the 25 floors and lands on top of me, killing me instantly."
The Angel is quietly laughing to himself as Johnnie finishes his story. "I could get used to this new policy," he thinks to himself.
"Very well," the Angel announces. "Welcome to the Kingdom of Heaven," and he lets Howard enter.
A few seconds later, Shane Warne comes up to the gate. The Angel is almost too shocked to speak. Thoughts of demon bowlers or car accidents pour through the Angel's head. Finally he says, "Mr Warne , please tell me what it was like the day you died."
Shane says, "OK, picture this. I'm naked, inside a refrigerator......"
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 05:59 pm
That should be in the 'really bad jokes' thread.

Haven't heard it for decades.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 06:02 pm
hingehead wrote:
That should be in the 'really bad jokes' thread.

Haven't heard it for decades.

You must be as ancient as little Johnny himself. Laughing
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 06:04 pm
Now you're just being cruel dutchy, I heard it in the eighties. The NINETEEN eighties.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 07:36 am
From today's Crikey:

Today's headlines:

Union dominance a danger: PM

And then:

Unions irrelevant, Hockey says

We're sure they'll sort it out soon.

Irrelevance danger a union, say Libs

That might do it.

`
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 07:47 am
Howard's tax cuts are not cuts at all
Kenneth Davidson
October 18, 2007/the AGE

Indexed to inflation, the tax cuts deliver nothing to taxpayers.

JOHN Howard's $34 billion tax cut is neither a fistful of dollars nor tax reform. It is a chimera designed to give back to wage earners the growth in the tax burden as wages rise with inflation, pushing workers into higher tax brackets.

In other words, if wages don't keep pace with inflation or if inflation moves above the upper band of 3 per cent set by the Reserve Bank to manage monetary policy, wage earners' real disposable incomes could fall despite the nominal tax cuts. .... <cont>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 08:21 am
Labor at war over IR laws
Ewin Hannan and Rick Wallace
October 18, 2007/the Australian

THE Victorian Labor Government has been accused of undermining one of Kevin Rudd's central election pitches by using the "full force" of John Howard's Work Choices in a bitter pay dispute with the state's hospital nurses.

Union leaders last night warned the state Government's use of Work Choices would damage the Actus political campaign against the Howard Government in the build-up to the November 24 poll.

.....The Australian Nursing Federation last night urged the Opposition Leader to intervene after state Labor sanctioned the use of Work Choices to dock the pay of nurses involved in the dispute, which yesterday closed almost 350 hospital beds and forced the cancellation of up to 60 elective surgery cases.

"Nurses recognisee the hypocrisy of the Brumby Government, which spoke out against Work Choices and is now waving these bad laws in nurses' faces," the ANF's Victorian secretary, Lisa Fitzpatrick, said. ....<cont>

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22605656-601,00.html

Apart from the Victorian government threatening to use Howard's IR legislation, consider for a minute nurses' wage rises being tied to "productivity improvements". How on earth can any serviceindustry repeatedly expect its employees to do more work in the same time for each new pay rise? That's crazy. One nurse can only do so much work in one day.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/10/17/wbTOONtandberg_gallery__470x352,0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 08:54 am
UhOh!:

Howard closing the gap on Labor, Age poll finds
Michelle Grattan
October 19, 2007/the AGE

THE Coalition has drawn closer to Labor than at any time since Kevin Rudd took over as ALP leader and John Howard has dramatically narrowed the preferred prime minister gap, in the first major opinion poll of the election campaign.

After months of dominance, Labor's lead on a two-party basis has dropped by two percentage points, and Kevin Rudd's rating as preferred prime minister has slumped by five points, according to the Age/Nielsen poll.

While the Coalition will be encouraged by the figures, Labor still retains a commanding 54-46 per cent leadThe trend in the Age poll has been echoed in another survey published today, with the Galaxy poll showing Labor's two-party lead being cut to 53-47.
0 Replies