The NEXT coming Oz election thread!

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 09:04 am
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/10/17/181007editoon_gallery__470x286,0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 09:29 am
Jeez.
With the "hand-picked supporters" (read party lackeys) of both sides as the audience? (Rather than the swinging voters?)
With or without the worm?
With some "political reporter" from Sky News (chosen by JH) moderating?
Sounds like JH has decided to bore us all to death (a non-event) & Rudd just caved in to the bullying! Rolling Eyes :

Howard-Rudd debate confirmed for Sunday
Posted 47 minutes ago
Updated 35 minutes ago
ABC online

The leaders' election debate will go ahead, with the Labor Leader Kevin Rudd bowing to pressure and confirming he will face Prime Minister John Howard on Sunday.

But Labor is not backing down from its calls for three debates.

After holding out, Mr Rudd finally agreed last night to the debate in Parliament's Great Hall.

Mr Howard welcomes the turnaround.

"He's been calling on me to debate him now for months, and he really should have agreed," he said.

"I'm surprised he's taken so long to do so."

It is the first and possibly the only leaders' debate of the campaign. ..<cont>

http://www.abc.com.au/news/stories/2007/10/19/2063620.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 09:42 am
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5708793,00.jpg

....Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd got in early: "I have said before that I have enjoyed The Chaser's work, but I would say to those guys at The Chaser, 'This is absolutely disgusting. Guys, you really need to lift your game. Guys, this is just wrong.' "

Prime Minister John Howard chimed in, labelling the song "totally distasteful" and calling on the team to produce "decent dirt-free humour". ...

http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/politicians-denounce-chasers-eulogy/2007/10/18/1192300954561.html
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 01:15 pm
Labor at war over IR laws
Ewin Hannan and Rick Wallace
October 18, 2007/the Australian

THE Victorian Labor Government has been accused of undermining one of Kevin Rudd's central election pitches by using the "full force" of John Howard's Work Choices in a bitter pay dispute with the state's hospital nurses.

Union leaders last night warned the state Government's use of Work Choices would damage the Actus political campaign against the Howard Government in the build-up to the November 24 poll.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22605656-601,00.html

Why is that at every election, the labor movement tries to self-destruct ? Now is not the time for infighting. Sort the problems out after the election, no matter who wins.
This industrial strife before an election is so predictable it make you wonder if a third column is at work.
If bonzai can't be turfed out of the lodge this time, the ALP might as well pack up.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 02:05 pm
Ah, the great liberal tradition of handing out presents...err bribes at christmas...errr election time, once again garners good will and chris...err...election cheer.

And after Christmas, duh election...well, the Libs follow it up with their other great tradition of digging their hands even deeper into your pocket, followed by that greatest of all Liberal traditions...claiming they are doing you (and the economy) a favour.

edit : btw, I'm not anti liberal, I have voted for them in the past, however Johny, for me, has been rather on the nose the last two elections.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 04:40 pm
Hmmm, Rudd gets caught in a strip joint, drunk.

Malcom Fraser gets caught minus his pants and drunk.

Labor is full of Unionists. Well duh. Labor was born from the union movement. Bob Hawke held the beer skulling record for decades, and married his biographer. Whoopee.

Talk about avoiding the real issues of education, health, housing affordability, and real wealth creation.

We are currently the highest taxed nation in the developed world. Thanks a lot Jonny. Now what is the current cash rate again??? He has no idea, and he's been in power so long, he's lost touch with the common man.

The current state of the economy has bugger-all to do with liberal management skills, and everything to do with selling off our base metals and carbon fuels at yesterday's prices to balance the books.

Oh, and while on that topic, does Howard think that all those miners are liberal voters?

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 08:47 pm
G'day, Builder! Good to see you again! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 08:58 pm
vikorr wrote:
I have voted for them in the past, however Johny, for me, has been rather on the nose the last two elections.

You're learning! :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 09:06 pm
bungie wrote:
THE Victorian Labor Government has been accused of undermining one of Kevin Rudd's central election pitches by using the "full force" of John Howard's Work Choices in a bitter pay dispute with the state's hospital nurses.

There's a new theory going around that the Victorian government is using WorkChoices legislation against the nurses to show voters just how nasty the legislation actually is! So it's all for Kevin07's cause! I like this theory, very novel approach! Laughing

So it isn't because the Victorian government is miserable & stingy toward its public sector workers at all, ya see!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 09:20 pm
Peter Costello used the C word about Julia Gillard!

Yep, she's a 'communist' - and we know how evil communists are, make sure you don't vote for her or her party.

Oh yeah - our largest trading partner is a country full of communists, we better boycott all trade with them till they learn the error of their ways.

Yeah, right. What a tw@t.

Does anyone believe any ALP leader of the last two decades would have used the Tampa tragedy to whip up latent racism to win an election?

That's enough reason alone not to vote lib. I'm sick of the moral vacuum. F*ck the economy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 09:38 pm
hingehead wrote:
Peter Costello used the C word about Julia Gillard!

Yep, she's a 'communist' - and we know how evil communists are, make sure you don't vote for her or her party.

Oh yeah - our largest trading partner is a country full of communists, we better boycott all trade with them till they learn the error of their ways.

Yeah, right. What a tw@t.

Does anyone believe any ALP leader of the last two decades would have used the Tampa tragedy to whip up latent racism to win an election?

That's enough reason alone not to vote lib. I'm sick of the moral vacuum. F*ck the economy.

I'll second that, hinge. F*ck the economy! There I said it!

The thing is, haven't JH & co ever heard of career unionists? You know, those who use the union movement as a stepping stone to parliament, then conveniently forget all about their "union ideals" once they hit the big time? Quite a few of those! You could say the same about radical rock star environmentalists, too. At least the Liberals don't change their stripes once they enter parliament! They know which side their on! :wink:
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 09:47 pm
msolga wrote:

The thing is, haven't JH & co ever heard of career unionists? You know, those who use the union movement as a stepping stone to parliament, then conveniently forget all about their "union ideals" once they hit the big time? Quite a few of those! You could say the same about radical rock star environmentalists, too. At least the Liberals don't change their stripes once they enter parliament! They know which side their on! :wink:

Yeah Olgs, I thought this too - how many started out in Young labour at uni, then needed a job that would help them further develop their political skills while waiting for an opportunity for preselection? It's a pretty standard career path. The lib ads will only score points with the absolutely politically ignorant - who already are voting liberal because that's how they always have.

Someone should do an analysis of the liberal MPs and see how many have privileged backgrounds.

Did you see 4 corners last monday?

The 'apolitical' Exclusive Bretheren ran newspaper ads attacking Bob Brown. The ads were 'mistakenly' invoiced to the Liberal Party. By each of the three newspapers involved. What a coincidence.

That rat really stinks.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 09:59 pm
msolga wrote:
Today's headlines:

Union dominance a danger: PM

And then:

Unions irrelevant, Hockey says

We're sure they'll sort it out soon.

Irrelevance danger a union, say Libs

That might do it.

I think Crikey nicely summed up the reds under the beds angle yesterday, hinge. BS. Of course, it's simply part of Howard's desperate scare campaign. Actually this amount of aggression (& such ruthless, dishonest opportunism is damned scary! Far more scary than anything he's actually saying, to me! Eek! Shocked
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 10:04 pm
hingehead wrote:
Did you see 4 corners last monday?

The 'apolitical' Exclusive Bretheren ran newspaper ads attacking Bob Brown. The ads were 'mistakenly' invoiced to the Liberal Party. By each of the three newspapers involved. What a coincidence.

That rat really stinks.

Yes, I saw it.
Incredible. And incredible that JH has apparently embraced this lot to his bosom! Anything goes, it seems! Shocked
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 10:05 pm
Didya see John and Brian last night?

John saying that his government were great economic managers. Then Brian asked about where the $34 billion came from.

<paraphrase>

Er, we found it.

Found it where?

Behind the piano, we must have walked past it a million times but we didn't notice it.

</paraphrase>
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 10:11 pm
I love that one of the Hardy's mesothelemia (sp?) victims came out and said they would have got nothing if it wasn't for Greg Combet and the unions. Half an hour later Howard is saying 'I never said unions were a bad thing.'

Tony Eastley had the mad monk on last night. Who was apparently a union member, in fact he organised a strike when some photographic workers were sacked and got them reinstated under contracts. Hmmmm.

It's the hypocrisy that's grating today.

Hey I just had a thought we're not a democracy, or a theocracy, or an autocracy... we're a hypocracy!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 10:37 pm
Is it a hypocrisy that most of the Liberal MPs got their start in political in the student union movement???
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 11:25 pm
hingehead wrote:
Didya see John and Brian last night?

John saying that his government were great economic managers. Then Brian asked about where the $34 billion came from.

<paraphrase>

Er, we found it.

Found it where?

Behind the piano, we must have walked past it a million times but we didn't notice it.

</paraphrase>

<I'm back. A little episode with the plumber interrupted me. My drains are unblocked! I'm ecstatic! Very Happy >

No, damn, I missed it!

I'll find it on the ABC site & read & post.

Behind the piano. Very funny! Laughing (Love those two!)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 11:34 pm
Wilso wrote:
Is it a hypocrisy that most of the Liberal MPs got their start in political in the student union movement???

I knew it was a few of them, Wilso. But most of them? Really? Gonna name some names?

This morning I heard Peter (Dollar Sweets) Costello <shudder> on local ABC radio being questioned on this very topic! He said he was approached by parties of all persuasions to join their ranks in his student politics days. Because he was so fantastic, so brilliant, so promising! Says he! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 11:49 pm
hingehead wrote:
Hey I just had a thought we're not a democracy, or a theocracy, or an autocracy... we're a hypocracy!

Absolutely!

You're right, you know! Laughing
0 Replies