A Good Teacher

skinny

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 04:54 am
When I taught in language schools it was not uncommon to hear teachers say they dreaded teaching a certain group or particular level or grammatical point. But, strangely enough, there was always someone in the school who found that same group, structure or level to be the most enjoyable to teach. Ever since then whenever a class, a lesson or a grammatical explanation doesn't work I never blame the students. I always blame myself. The most important things a teacher takes to a classroom are her enthusiasm and willingness to learn to teach. Some method books are more interesting or; let's be honest, easier to teach than others, but that's no excuse for skipping the sections - a common practice - that are boring or complicated to explain. It's the teacher, not the student, who makes learning easy or difficult, fun or boring. Therein lies the challenge and the reward.
Gordon
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 608 • Replies: 1
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 09:43 am
Your spirit was praisable, but you might have overly blamed yourself. Since one teacher is different to another, and so is a student. When considering all teachers in the world as an entity, the entity can be perfect, because it can teach any students in accordance with their aptitude. But no one can substitute the entity, so you should not always blame yourself.

But blaming students is dangerous. How about going between?
0 Replies