A nice cup of tea could hold back Alzheimer's scientists say

Col Man

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 02:05 pm
Link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041026/323/f5b4i.html

LONDON (AFP) - A steaming cup of tea, the relaxing drink of choice for millions in countries such as Britain and China, could help ward off the effects of Alzheimer's disease, scientists said.

Laboratory tests found that regular cups of green and black tea inhibit the activity of certain enzymes in the brain which bring on Alzheimer's, a form of generative dementia that affects an estimated 10 million people worldwide.

The research by the Medicinal Plant Research Centre at Newcastle University, northeast England, is published in academic journal Phytotherapy Research.

Scientists tested coffee as well as green and black tea, the latter of which -- the variety enjoyed by most Britons -- is derived from the same plant as the green variety but has a different taste and appearance as it is fermented.

The results found that while coffee had no significant effect, both green and black tea inhibited the activity of enzymes associated with the development of Alzheimer's.

According to the journal, tea inhibited the activity of the enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE), which breaks down the chemical messenger, or neurotransmitter, acetylcholine. Alzheimer's is characterised by a drop in acetylcholine.

Green tea and black tea also hinder the activity of the enzyme butyrylcholinesterase (BuChE), seen in protein deposits found on the brains of patients with Alzheimer's.

However green tea alone had a further effect, obstructing the activity of beta-secretase, which has a role in the production of protein deposits in the brain associated with Alzheimer's.

The effects of green tea also last for a week, scientists found, as against only a day for black tea.

"Although there is no cure for Alzheimer's, tea could potentially be another weapon in the armoury which is used to treat this disease and slow down its development," said head researcher Dr Ed Okello.

"It would be wonderful if our work could help improve the quality of life for millions of sufferers and their carers.

"Our findings are particularly exciting as tea is already a very popular drink, it is inexpensive, and there do not seem to be any adverse side effects when it is consumed.

"Still, we expect it will be several years until we are able to produce anything marketable
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,977 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 04:49 pm
Wow! I'm brewing up some Green Tea even as we speak! Who'da thunk I was so smart and didn't even know it! Smile
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:24 am
Smile well if you just go with lifes flow, instead of trying to complicate it, like the rest do, i think you'll be amazed how instinctively intellegent you are Smile
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 01:34 pm
What a lovely compliment and I thank you kindly. Smile
Tis true actually. My life is very simple, very uncomplicated, very serene. I don't want for much and have very few material needs. I've been rich, I've been poor, I've had more worldly possessions than any ten people need and lost every one of them. I've loved deeply and been hurt badly. I have grieved the deaths of sixteen loved ones in a years time, cursed God wickedly for a long while and eventually came to my own conclusion that for me, it is better to accept than expect. Life is good. I think I'll have another cup of tea. Smile
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 04:02 pm
far out Lady J... you have truly ridden lifes roller-coaster...
my dear, you can either get bitter and twisted about it or you can realise the simple joy of being alive...
i feel you are more the wiser to have chosen the latter..
i often try to tell people they wont find true love outside... its inside.. but they dont seem to want to listen...
i wouldnt blame the creator, he/she/it simply started the ball rolling... he/she/it left it up to us to make life beautiful, and left us with spiritual guides and understandings...
sadly we turned our back on these, became material and divided... and this lonely, hatefilled and greedfilled world is the result...
we have only ourselves to blame....

love is here and now, you simply need to BE IT...
you either find it inside and shine it out, or you forever try to find it outside where it constantly eludes you...

enjoy your tea Smile im having one too Very Happy
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 11:44 pm
Wow! Not only are you a wealth of knowledge, but a wellspring of wisdom. That's a rare combination and very refreshing Smile
I also believe that everything we are now and ever will be comes from within. I too have seen the collective of humankind just as you have described. Desires obscuring basic accountability, especially to ones self. All the best things in my own life have grown from within, not out of chance or of luck, but by, as you mentioned, guides and understanding. Of course it hasn't always been the easiest path as I am guessing you well know yourself.

I figure that each day that I can get up has got to be a good day. Maybe even better than the one before. I wouldn't want to miss that!

The tea was great and I am pleased that you joined me I think the company and conversation were even better though. Smile
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 02:02 am
Col Man wrote:
far out Lady J... love is here and now, you simply need to BE IT...
you either find it inside and shine it out, or you forever try to find it outside where it constantly eludes you...

Gag, gag, gag!! Haven't you got any amusing stories about dwarf, lesbian Finns Col-boy??
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 03:39 am
The next research is to see if it is still true of tea with milk - the research has been done on tea sans milk.

(Sorry to interrupt the love fest!)
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 11:36 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Col Man wrote:
far out Lady J... love is here and now, you simply need to BE IT...

Gag, gag, gag!! Haven't you got any amusing stories about dwarf, lesbian Finns Col-boy??

thats the other forum my friend Wink
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 11:39 am
Lady J wrote:
Wow! Not only are you a wealth of knowledge, but a wellspring of wisdom. That's a rare combination and very refreshing Smile
I also believe that everything we are now and ever will be comes from within. I too have seen the collective of humankind just as you have described. Desires obscuring basic accountability, especially to ones self. All the best things in my own life have grown from within, not out of chance or of luck, but by, as you mentioned, guides and understanding. Of course it hasn't always been the easiest path as I am guessing you well know yourself.

I figure that each day that I can get up has got to be a good day. Maybe even better than the one before. I wouldn't want to miss that!

The tea was great and I am pleased that you joined me I think the company and conversation were even better though. Smile

Thank You, Lady J Very Happy
im with you on this Wink
i wish you all the best... Smile
see u around on a2k Very Happy
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 10:45 pm
You are very welcome, Col Man. I look forward to another chance meeting...

hehehe....I really looked out well for my health last night when I indulged in a hot fudge sundae for dinner. Smile
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:15 pm
Col-Man, I pour neat Scotch over a herbal tea-bag (lemon grass with hibiscus blooms) for my morning libation. But, I do avoid hot fudge sundaes - reckon I might be avoiding any number of diseases by this health regime?

Only trouble seems to be that I fall flat on my face when I try to arise from the breakfast table. Do you think there may be rabbits under the table tying my shoelaces together?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:22 pm
I have green tea, but am unsure of which are the black ones. Confused
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:34 pm
msolga wrote:
I have green tea, but am unsure of which are the black ones. Confused

No, no msolga, my dear - it's black LABEL!

http://www.tropicana.kz/image/black_label.jpg

It is made from malt, just like..... malt is. And we all know how healthy that is!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:36 pm
Now, about those wascily wabbits. The ones under my table seem to be shouting out, "Good on yer Deb!! Let's give that dickhead a real kicking!! Eviscerate his genitalia!!". Should I be necessarily worried by this?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:38 pm
But it's too early in the day for that, Stilly! ... In the meantime I'm worried about my hazy, forgetful brain .... I NEED some black tea, obviously ... Russian Caravan? Confused
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:40 pm
Example: I just called fbaezer nimh on another thread! Embarrassed
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 04:42 am
I just made mention of the Evil Bunny Queen when I meant....... ........ the Evil Queen Bunny. Boy, is my face red too!!
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 02:38 pm
You guys are too funny! Smile A li'l morning hair of the dog that bit you the night before is supposed to be a wonderful wake up call. I have never had the courage to try it myself, but I know others that recommend it
highly! of course it has been too many years to count since I was last bitten by said dog as well.....As for the bunnies under the table, I think some of the relatives of yours also reside under my table, but my clan is more inclined to crazy glue my shoes to the floor rather than just tie the laces together it seems. Devious little devils aren't they? Smile
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 02:40 pm
cup of what?
0 Replies