Democrats and the Draft

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 01:50 pm
From all I have read and heard, I don't think either one of the candidates has any plan to bring back the draft. I think it is repugnant that the dems are using this scare tactic to try to sway voters and it is equally repugnant for someone to try to claim that Kerry will bring back the draft based on the evidence put forward here.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 01:52 pm
You've got your fair and balanced hat on today, CR. :wink:
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 01:56 pm
Ah Free, I think I am nearly always fair and balanced, aren't I?? Of course, maybe it is just you guys have convinced me to come over to the dark side......naw, that can't be it. It must be the fair and balanced thing. Smile
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 02:03 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
Ah Free, I think I am nearly always fair and balanced, aren't I?? Of course, maybe it is just you guys have convinced me to come over to the dark side......naw, that can't be it. It must be the fair and balanced thing. Smile

** Bonus points to CR for PF reference **
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 02:34 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I will agree that those introducing legislation to bring back the draft are Democrats. But they have very little support, even from within their own party. To extrapolate their actions to Kerry's intent is dubious.

Two little quibbles:

Quote:

-In the debates, Kerry said he will respond with military force wherever there is injustice in the world.

I don't recall this. I think he said he will respond with force to terrorism.

Quote:

-He said he will enter into unilateral negotiations with North Korea, without the involvement of the Chinese or any other country.

Not exactly. He did say he would enter into bilateral negotiations with North Korea. The part you added is speculation.

Quote:

-Last, and most important: Bush has said in the debates he will keep the military an all-volunteer service. Kerry, in the same debates, did not say he would do the same.

The question wasn't put to Kerry that I know of. Though I confess I did not search the transcript.

Not saying it isn't possible that he would bring it back, just saying that the case hasn't been made that he's more likely to do it than Bush. I find it hard to believe that Kerry would do something like that, given his feelings about Vietnam. (yes, i said the V word)

Here is the info re North Korea. As you said (my mistake), Kerry will open bilateral talks with North Korea. However, he will do so at the expense of current multinational negotiations.

Transcript:

Quote:
KERRY: I'm going to do it in four years, and I'm going to immediately set out to have bilateral talks with North Korea.

LEHRER: Your response to that?

BUSH: Again, I can't tell you how big a mistake I think that is, to have bilateral talks with North Korea. It's precisely what Kim Jong Il wants. It will cause the six-party talks to evaporate. It will mean that China no longer is involved in convincing, along with us, for Kim Jong Il to get rid of his weapons. It's a big mistake to do that.

We must have China's leverage on Kim Jong Il, besides ourselves.

And if you enter bilateral talks, they'll be happy to walk away from the table. I don't think that'll work.

But what causes me to believe Kerry will reinstate the Draft?

Here, again from the transcript:

Quote:
KERRY That's why, in my plan, I add two active duty divisions to the United States Army, not for Iraq, but for our general demands across the globe. I also intend to double the number of special forces so that we can do the job we need to do with respect fighting the terrorists around the world. And if we do that, then we have the ability to be able to respond more rapidly.

But I'll tell you this, as president, if it took American forces to some degree to coalesce the African Union, I'd be prepared to do it because we could never allow another Rwanda.

It's the moral responsibility for us and the world.

This should send chills up any liberal, anti-war Democratic partisan's spine. Yet, they remain silent, simply because they want a liberal as their president.

You are correct, Duck, that the question of a draft may not have been posed to Kerry. But he certainly hasn't gone out of his way to provide the same committment as Bush has on the question....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 02:37 pm
How many is a "division?"
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 02:37 pm
At this point, ALV, I'll chock it up to interpretation. It could very well be that he's hoping to internationalize the Iraq effort in order to free up our troops there, but I really don't know. Just as I really don't know how, under Bush, we will continue with the Iraq and Afghanistan projects and still be prepared to confront new threats.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 02:42 pm
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-09-15-edwards_x.htm

Quote:
During a question-and-answer session, the mother of a 23-year-old who recently graduated from West Virginia University asked Edwards whether the draft would be reinstated.

"There will be no draft when John Kerry is president," Edwards said, a statement that drew a standing ovation.

On doing a google search, it seems that Kerry is repeatedly saying there would be no draft under his administration. Granted, these are campaign promises, much like Bush's, but take them for what they're worth.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 02:43 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-09-15-edwards_x.htm

Quote:
During a question-and-answer session, the mother of a 23-year-old who recently graduated from West Virginia University asked Edwards whether the draft would be reinstated.

"There will be no draft when John Kerry is president," Edwards said, a statement that drew a standing ovation.

On doing a google search, it seems that Kerry is repeatedly saying there would be no draft under his administration. Granted, these are campaign promises, much like Bush's, but take them for what they're worth.

Given what I know about Kerry, I suspect if you do another google search you will find him repeatedly saying there will be a draft under his administration. I say wait about 10 minutes.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 02:44 pm
Good luck with that, Tico.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 02:45 pm
It seems rather disingenuous for either side to say definitively that 'there will not be a draft'.

The world is constantly changing. The situation with Arafat may stabilize an entire region very suddenly. Other things could change that no one expected.

They're all fools if they really believe that they can make a carte blanche statement like that.

Never mind. They are.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 02:47 pm
squinney wrote:
How many is a "division?"

Approximately 13,000 to 18,000 soldiers. Right now we have six 'heavy divisions' and four 'light divisions' for a total of 10 Divisions.

By adding two Divisions, Kerry will be increasing the size of the military by apporximately 20%.

Link: http://srp.army.mil/public/lm/armyorg/lesson3.jsp

Worried yet, squinney?
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 02:55 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

Quote:

I agree, Duck. There is no way to 100% effectively interpret exactly what either candidate will do.

However, ever since Kerry has repeatedly talked about his 'plan' for this and his 'plan' for that, I have tried to research as much informatiion as I can find.

And based on Kerry's statements, I find that it is difficult to imagine that he can implement his 'plan' without a draft.

And if he wins, I expect him to blame Bush into 'forcing' him to reinstating the draft.

But still, we don't hear any questions about this from liberal partisan Democrats......
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 02:58 pm
A Lone Voice wrote:
But still, we don't hear any questions about this from liberal partisan Democrats......

Sorta like we don't hear any questions from conservative partisan Republicans about the huge amount of damage the moron has done to our country and the world.

That's the way it is with partisans.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 03:04 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
A Lone Voice wrote:

Sorta like we don't hear any questions from conservative partisan Republicans about the huge amount of damage the moron has done to our country and the world.

Aw, c'mon Frank. If you want to ask me about any partisan thoughts I might have, do so. But maybe you should do so on a different thread?

You are simply changing the subject. I know you are not a liberal partisan Democrat......

So how about we let them answer the question for themselves? Smile
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 03:10 pm
A Lone Voice wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
A Lone Voice wrote:

Aw, c'mon Frank. If you want to ask me about any partisan thoughts I might have, do so. But maybe you should do so on a different thread?

You are simply changing the subject. I know you are not a liberal partisan Democrat......

So how about we let them answer the question for themselves? Smile

Okay! :wink:
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 02:45 am
And to add a bit more to this:

If Kerry wins, the draft will be reinstated by next summer.......
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 03:44 am
A Lone Voice wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 05:07 am
A Lone Voice wrote:

Either that or we'll all be dead before summer ever gets here. One thing for certain is that nobody will be volunteering for military duty if Kerry wins.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:48 am
gungasnake wrote:
A Lone Voice wrote:

Either that or we'll all be dead before summer ever gets here. One thing for certain is that nobody will be volunteering for military duty if Kerry wins.

You wouldn't want to bet a lot of money on that, would ya, Gunga?
0 Replies