Finally something with ambiguity

Baldimo

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:20 am
Piffka wrote:
The Washington Times? They're ALWAYS on top of the heap, aren't they?
So the story isn't legit because it didn't come from the NYT and CBS. I take it they are the gospel when it comes to news?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:26 am
ehBeth wrote:
That sure looks like the one they're referencing, ticomaya.

Beyond depressing if it's true.

Which part is depressing, if true?

Note the last bit of the story:

Quote:
On Wednesday, 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS e-mailed still images of the footage taken at the site to experts in Washington to see if the items captured on tape are the same kind of high explosives that went missing in Al Qaqaa. Those experts could not make that determination.

The footage is now in the hands of security experts to see if it is indeed the explosives in question
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:28 am
I would find it depressing to discover that the explosives had been stolen under the eye of U.S. troops. Surprised I had to explain that.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:32 am
ehBeth wrote:
I would find it depressing to discover that the explosives had been stolen under the eye of U.S. troops. Surprised I had to explain that.

I didn't want to assume what you were going to be depressed about. A better question is WHY are you depressed. These HMX & RDX explosives went missing - although it remains unclear whether it was 377 tons, or if that was overstated by about 130 tons. That is depressing regardless.

If you read the entire story, as I pointed out in my post above, we don't know whether the explosives described by these reporters were the explosives in question (HMX & RDX).
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:54 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Piffka wrote:
The Washington Times? They're ALWAYS on top of the heap, aren't they?
So the story isn't legit because it didn't come from the NYT and CBS. I take it they are the gospel when it comes to news?

Depends on what heap we're referring to, I guess.

Collective media truth is usually legitimate when it is published in a few different and reasonably unbiased sources, e.g.: The Washington POST, the New York Times, Christian Science Monitor, the Toronto Globe & Mail, London Times, London Independent, Reuters, I'm sure some folks can come up with more.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:59 pm
It would be depressing if one US soldier was killed or maimed by the contents of that ammo dump. And that's a non-partisan statement...I hope.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:04 pm
I think it quite likely that US soldiers and allied coalition soldiers and Iraqis of every pursuasion have been injured or killed by the contents of that ammo dump.

"If you have tears... shed them now."
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:13 pm
panzade wrote:
It would be depressing if one US soldier was killed or maimed by the contents of that ammo dump. And that's a non-partisan statement...I hope.

Absolutely ... regardless of the timing of the loss of the explosives. That is only important in the political fallout arena.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:20 pm
Agreed Tico....but let me ask you something. As a well spoken proponent of the right and the military. How can you condone the absolute incompetence that has been the modus operandi of the administration in military matters?

Why doesn't the right question this abysmal record since 9/11? Even the Chiefs of Staff have shown their abhorrance of the ineptness of Rummy and the rest of the handlers. Am I being too pessimistic here?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:34 pm
panzade wrote:
Agreed Tico....but let me ask you something. As a well spoken proponent of the right and the military. How can you condone the absolute incompetence that has been the modus operandi of the administration in military matters?

Why doesn't the right question this abysmal record since 9/11? Even the Chiefs of Staff have shown their abhorrance of the ineptness of Rummy and the rest of the handlers. Am I being too pessimistic here?

Yes, I believe you are. But that could just be the partisan in you. Very Happy

In military matters I believe we've kicked a** and taken names. Following the end of major combat operations, the insurgency collected itself into highly populated civilian areas, making it difficult to blow them away. As someone posted earlier (I think on this thread) the US military puts itself in danger, and takes extraordinary risks to avoid casualties to non-combatants. So, I take issue with your premise that there has been "absolute incompetence" in the "military matters." Ask members of the military whether there has been incompetence.

Has it been perfect. No, it has not. It is not expected to be. It is "war" after all. If one constantly and solely reads the NYT and other MSM (read "liberal), one will only be spoonfed the doom and gloom of what is going on in the war. That is the news that is sought to be printed. It isn't very salacious or interesting, nor does it sell newspapers, to print articles that show the positive things that are going on in Iraq. Nor is it advantageous for the NYT (and others) to do so, since that would be contrary to their political leanings.

So, it is very difficult to get a good picture of what is going on over there. But I don't accept your characterization that it is fraught with "absolute incompetence."
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:37 pm
Fair enough. Maybe the best view is that Iraq was a concious plan to attract terrorist organizations into a killing field where we wouldn't have to root them out but they would come to us...maybe.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 02:14 pm
panzade wrote:
Fair enough. Maybe the best view is that Iraq was a concious plan to attract terrorist organizations into a killing field where we wouldn't have to root them out but they would come to us...maybe.

Well, conscious or not, that certainly appears to be a result at any rate. And I suggest that I'd rather we be doing the fighting over there than over here.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 06:19 am
Anybody see the Nightline interview with David Kay last night? It kind of put this whole thing to bed with respect to whether or not the explosives were there when we arrived.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 06:27 am
Yes?...and?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 06:34 am
Being debated - with lots of articles and links - here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37148&start=0
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 06:35 am
Sorry, I guess I left something out. They showed video from an embedded news agency of soldiers arriving April 18th(?) and finding IAEA seals on some of the bunkers. They also showed barrels inside, and one soldier opened one and, according to David Kay, it looked very much like the explosives that we're missing.

In other words, the missing explosives were there when these soldiers arrived in mid-April.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 06:43 am
ty fd...what I thought....not good news for the Bush campaign.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 06:45 am
Though I have to say, I was enjoying his dig at Kerry that 'a president should know all the facts before making a decision'! I think that's one of the few things he's said that I agree with.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 06:47 am
Somebody posted about the video i mentioned here:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37546
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 06:50 am
I guess the other side was depending on the missing explosives remaining an ambiguity.
0 Replies