Californicators lining up to help build Southern border wall

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 02:00 pm
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/miranda/la-et-cam-california-border-wall-construction-20170310-story.html

Quote:
International engineering corporations, boutique architectural firms and tiny mom-and-pop builders with names like “Loko-Koko” are lining up to help build President Trump’s border wall, despite the fact that Mexico has said it won’t pay for it and polls show that many Americans don’t want it.

Since the Department of Homeland Security placed a presolicitation notice on the Federal Business Opportunities website in late February for “the design and build of several prototype wall structures in the vicinity of the United States border Mexico,” more than 600 interested vendors across the country have signed on, including almost 100 entities from California.....

At this point, I am a little bit conflicted as to the necessity of an actual wall. That is, something like a 50 foot high electrified barbed wire/razor wire fence with land mines in front of it, sensors for movement both above and below, and one of those six barreled Dillon guns every quarter mile or so might be a better option. You could of course still have gates where people with legal and legitimate business traveling between the two countries could pass unobstructed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,568 • Replies: 13
No top replies

George

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 05:30 pm
@gungasnake,
Get your bid in.
That could be a winner!
camlok

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2017 01:35 pm
@George,
Another phony baloney 911 would pretty much assure you folks your wall.

And it'll be a great wall, the best wall, a wall you can see from Yuranus.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2017 02:01 pm
@gungasnake,
I am dead set against the wall, politically. But if there is a lucrative federal contract available that is going to go to someone, I am in.

camlok

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2017 04:12 pm
@maxdancona,
Morally doesn't figure in?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2017 04:17 pm
@camlok,
If the money is going to be spent anyway... and it is going to go to me or someone else, I don't think morality has anything to do with it.

Besides I can make twice the money. When I am done with the wall, I will start manufacturing ladders.

camlok

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2017 05:04 pm
@maxdancona,
Morality is often given short shrift by the US and Americans. If you're going to illegally invade another sovereign nation, I might as well make some good bucks off it.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2017 08:14 pm
@camlok,
It would be perfectly moral.

I never said I would sell the ladders. In truth, I would give them away for free.

(By the way, you have a very strange idea of what it means to "invade" another country. But then again, maybe our US marines would have had more success in Iraq if instead of dropping bombs, and driving tanks into Iraq... the just showed up to cook and clean for them do landscaping, and take care of their children.)
Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2017 08:28 pm
Don't play with the trolls, kids, you don't know where they've been.
gungasnake

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2017 11:54 pm
@maxdancona,
Many, many contracts....
camlok

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 01:05 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
(By the way, you have a very strange idea of what it means to "invade" another country. But then again, maybe our US marines would have had more success in Iraq if instead of dropping bombs, and driving tanks into Iraq... the just showed up to cook and clean for them do landscaping, and take care of their children.)

War on Afghanistan is Illegal

http://www.nlgmass.org/2011/02/war-on-afghanistan-is-illegal/

Though President Obama has frequently spoken of “renewing our commitment” to international law, he escalated military action in Afghanistan. The invasion of Afghanistan has been illegal from its inception, contrary to conventional wisdom that the horrific crimes of 9/11 and the Taliban’s “safe haven” for Al Qaeda justified full-scale war. America’s use of military force to punish, seize, kill, or dismantle Al Qaeda and the Taliban violates the Charter of the United Nations, the Geneva Conventions, and key provisions of eleven international agreements dealing with the suppression and control of terrorism.3 U.S. and NATO actions constitute war crimes pursuant to the Rome Statute, the 2002 treaty establishing the International Criminal Court to prosecute genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity.4

The UN Charter prohibits the use and threatened use of any force in member states’ international relations; states must settle their disputes by peaceful means. It prohibits the use of force to topple foreign governments. Article 2 of the Charter prohibits the use or threatened use of forces against another state. The Article 2 prohibition applies to all force and is a rule of customary international law. Professor Francis Boyle reminds us,

Bush Jr. went to the UN Security Council to get a resolution authorizing the use of military force against Afghanistan and Al Qaeda. He failed. You have to remember that. This war has never been authorized by the United Nations Security Council . . . . It constitutes an act and a war of aggression by the United States against Afghanistan.5

Article 51 of the Charter, which defines member states’ right of self-defense, does not create any right to make retaliatory attacks or to engage in the use of force to repel anticipated armed attacks. Former Guild President Marjorie Cohn explains that Operation Enduring Freedom was not legitimate self-defense under the Charter because the 9/11 attacks were crimes against humanity, not armed attacks by another country. Furthermore, there was not an imminent threat of an armed attack on the U.S. after 9/11, and the necessity for self-defense must be “instant, overwhelming, leaving no choice of means, and no moment for deliberation.”6 President Bush stretched traditional notions of self-defense by assigning the Taliban regime responsibility based on “harboring” Osama bin Laden and his operation.

Not only was the war unjustified, but there is mounting factual evidence that the war is “demonstrably criminal in its execution,” says Canadian military veteran John McNamer. In a brief sent to members of Parliament, McNamer documents substantial allegations of illegal torture; illegal and abusive detainments – sometimes leading to deaths in custody; civilian deaths from bombing and other indiscriminate use of force, and collusion with illegal “renditions” of individuals to and from other countries for purposes of torture.7 All national and international law forbid the killing of non-combatants. Total civilian deaths caused by U.S. led military actions are estimated at 8,991 to 28,583 direct and indirect deaths.8

“The Charter,” explains a treatise in International Law, “is based on the belief that international law should not be enforced by the commission of more crimes.” With every passing day, the U.S. commits more crimes in Afghanistan and the rationales for this war continue to crumble before reality.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 01:06 pm
@Setanta,
Oh boy, another anti-truther.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 01:10 pm
@gungasnake,
After stealing the land from the rightful owners, you joke about building a fence to keep them out.

Orwellian!
maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 01:15 pm
@camlok,
Well... building a fence before you have stolen the land doesn't make any sense.
0 Replies