Business name - Opinions Please

Thu 10 Mar, 2016 01:30 pm
We are starting a dog training company in Northern Virginia. We are stuck on choosing a business name and we need your help!
Which name stands out for you? Which name would catch your attention?

1) Mindful Mutts or The Mindful Mutt

2) Best Paw Forward

3) Pawsitive Empowerment

4) k9 Authority

Thanks so much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 3,408 • Replies: 13
Topic Closed

PUNKEY

Thu 10 Mar, 2016 01:32 pm
I have been told that WHAT YOU DO should be in a business name.

Those are all "cute names" but I would have no idea what exactly you do.
chai2

Thu 10 Mar, 2016 01:34 pm
@PUNKEY,
So he puts the word "dog training" after the choices Rolling Eyes

Personally, I like The Mindful Mutt.
0 Replies

fresco

Thu 10 Mar, 2016 02:08 pm
@dreshany,
Sit Com
No More the Wild Rover
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 10 Mar, 2016 02:35 pm
@dreshany,
I like number 3.
Number 1, I'm really getting tired of the word mindfulness, but #1 is a good play on words
Number 2, I like it 2nd best and it's vying for 1st
Number 4, not all your clients will go for the word 'authority', though many will.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 10 Mar, 2016 02:39 pm
@PUNKEY,
I see your point, Punkey. Of course it could have smaller sized words under the Company name. I was thinking of K9 training as possible, but it also sounds and I guess, is, quite military connected.. so maybe canine train (a little cute), or canine training
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 10 Mar, 2016 02:42 pm
@dreshany,
2 and 3 suggest a very different approach to training than 4

probably a good idea to have the name match the training style
chai2

Thu 10 Mar, 2016 02:44 pm
Just my opinion, but for a small business, you can think of lots of clever names, but if people are driving by and have to try to figure out what they do, they won't think of you for more than 2 seconds.

If I saw Sit Com, first off I'd be wondering if it was a web site, then I'd be wondering if they were baby sitters, house sitters or what.

No more the Wild Rover? First thought would be a dating service for people ready to settle down.

chai2

Thu 10 Mar, 2016 02:49 pm
@chai2,
I don't want to mention any of the names here, but I just looked at Yelp for my city, and filtered by dog trainers with the best reviews.

Seems like most of the highest rated ones didn't go for cutesy names, but something simple like "Johns Dog School" Or "Canine Center for Training and Behavior.

Yeah, if I had a dog I wanted to train and wasn't capable of doing it myself (I'm not) I want to find someone that comes across as knowing their business.

Maybe look through Yelp in your area, and different cities, and see what successful business are calling themselves.

0 Replies

chai2

Thu 10 Mar, 2016 02:50 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

2 and 3 suggest a very different approach to training than 4

probably a good idea to have the name match the training style

Yeah.
One company I came across was Compassionate Training Solutions. That has an entire different tone from a place that has K9 in its name.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 16 Mar, 2016 03:47 pm
@dreshany,
Number 2
0 Replies

Callonme

Tue 16 May, 2017 07:24 pm
@dreshany,
The broken leash K9 training

Just an idea !
roger

Tue 16 May, 2017 07:31 pm
@Callonme,
Sounds catchy, but maybe a bit negative of a dog trainer.
0 Replies

Glennn

Tue 16 May, 2017 08:16 pm
@dreshany,
Quote:
4) k9 Authority

This gives me the impression that the dog is the authority, and that the training is for the purpose of defending/attacking. I opened such a training school for dogs in the past. It was called the Crouching Beagle, Hidden Wolf academy.

I used a novel approach. Instead of Dobermans or Rottweilers, I trained beagles. I offered my Special-Forces-Beagles (SFBs) to law enforcement agencies. These beagles were trained to go into the room or area where the perpetrator is located, and once inside, approach the target with its head lowered, tongue hanging out, and tail wagging in an overly friendly manner. If that didn't put the perpetrator's mind at ease, then the multiple hunting licenses hanging from his roughed-up and well-worn collar--plus the burrs stuck in his coat--most certainly would. When the SFB reached the target's feet, it would stop and wag its tail while looking up at the target with those big brown eyes. If, or when, the perpetrator squatted down to pet the dog, the dog would go for a main artery in the thigh or the jugular, whichever was most exposed. These beagles had been conditioned to associate the act of tearing into a perpetrator's thigh or throat with receiving a treat. They didn't know they were doing wrong. They were just asking for a treat.

The physical pain, the shock, and the loss of blood experienced by the perpetrator is bad enough. But the psychological impact takes its toll as well, as the only thing worse than being attacked by a dog you know you can't trust is being attacked by a dog you know you can trust. It's like a horror show in which one of the most benign creatures morphs into an evil clown, forever shattering your trust in reality, and beagles in particular.

Everything was going well until I heard about some future legislation coming down the pipe which would make this brand of beagle illegal--an illegal beagle Smile . Some animal rights groups were making a big stink about using beagles as attack dogs. Their contention was that, once the dog had done its damage, most perpetrators will kick the **** out of them, shoot them, or otherwise prove the point that beagles are supposed to fight rabbit and fox--and even then, only in gangs. They certainly weren't meant to fight humans. Plus, at my academy, the beagles' teeth were cosmetically altered to make them sharp as razors. As a result, their tongues and lips are just a mess. In a campaign to stamp out such abuse, a photo of a beagle whose tongue and lips had been shredded and bloodied because of this kind of dental alteration was used as the poster-pup for a campaign sponsored by the Humane Society.

I argued that it’s not my fault if the customer fails to apply vegetable oil twice a day to the altered teeth of their Special Forces Beagle, as per the instructions--albeit in the extremely small print of the sales warranty. But the courts didn't see it my way, and they shut me down. I hope you have better luck in your business venture than me. Just don't use beagles and you should be fine.
0 Replies