Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 08:59 am
My budget is allowing for a different type of advertising right now.

There are more IDEAL places for me to advertise, like the local family magazines and such, but I can not afford that.
I have about 100 to just.. TOSS.. to advertising.

What I am finding that fits in that range is post card mailing.

So my question is.... is this even a valid way of advertising anymore

Anyone even pay ATTENTION to that?

have you ever used a post card or other mail advertisement to shop for something other than grocery ads and such?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 6,495 • Replies: 21
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:11 am
Direct mail can actually be VERY expensive.

I found that it worked best when I mailed to an established client base but wasn't so good for bringing in new customers.
chai2

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:14 am
Melissa, I forget what it's called, you've probably seen them.

Where residents get this envelope filled with 20 or 30 postcards that advertise restaurants, dentists, day spas, carpet cleaning, etc.

I don't know if I've ever seen a photography place in there, but that might be good. Less competition.

When I get that in the mail, I'd say a little more than half the time I look through them.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:15 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Direct mail can actually be VERY expensive.

I found that it worked best when I mailed to an established client base but wasn't so good for bringing in new customers.

oh yeah, boomer would know best re photography, forgot that's what you do.

0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:19 am
yeah.. the coupon envelope..

I remember looking into that before, it was about 400 or greater to start up.
I dont have that to swing right now.

What i have found is a package that sends out 1000 for 98.00$

My ad, my design, THEIR marketing list.. which.. im not sure how i feel about that mostly on what Boomer just said.

new clients is what I am hoping for.. im a bit.. ehhhh.. undecided.
yet I can not find anything else I can afford on this tiny budget right now.

I am on angies list, a few local free or super low cost places.. but I need to get going so my next thought is mailing ads. .

boomerang

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:41 am
@shewolfnm,
If you had asked in September I would have said to go for it at that price. The holiday season is prime time for photography.

At this point your ad would be coming out too late to allow people to be guaranteed delivery in time to give as gifts.... or maybe not, I don't know what you're turn around time is.

This late in the year I'd target existing customers. Maybe a holiday card with some coupons enclosed:

1) Order photos from a previous session at a discounted price (for customers within the last 6 months or so)
2) A good deal on a new session (for all customers)
3) A free gift (an 8x10 or something) when they refer a new client. (Make sure the client actually comes in before giving the gift!)

A roll of stamps would cost... what?.... $42? Ready to print cards are available at Office Depot for I don't know how much. Print nice copons on your computer. You could probably send out close to 100 with your $100 budget.

Otherwise I'd save your cash and start thinking about a Valentine's Day promotion.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:54 am
@shewolfnm,
Clubs are always looking for speakers. If you can talk for 15 or 20 minutes on simple ways to take better photographs, you can get yourself in front of the group as an expert.

I found portable projectors starting at the $150 range.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 10:54 am
Referrals are the best kind of advertising. Court your current customers and ask for referrals.

Dance studios, kid's sports teams, and pet pictures seems to do well.
Also, in-home new baby pics.

Tough business in this economy and with everyone taking pics with phones.

We had family photos taken at my 60th birthday party. the entrie family was there. My husband died 2 years later. Every day I look at those photos. I am so thankful we had that done.!

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 11:06 am
Melissa, when I was doing art camps for kids, I went to art stores, community centres, schools, places where kids would be with their parents, and put signs up on bulletin boards and in windows. Most places said it was no problem. In lieu of what boomer said about it being too late, maybe you could try that for now.

I'd have a beautiful (of course!) photo at the top, and your info below, with a turnaround time. Also, have you placed ads on Kijiji and Craigslist? I go there whenever I want to find someone or something. Great place.
Mame

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 11:13 am
Or maybe submit some to a newspaper or two.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 11:14 am
@shewolfnm,
Think out side of the box, shewolfnm. Have you tried to get your local news TV channel to use one of your photos as part of a story? That would reach thousands of people. Think about your creative talents in finding a way to get on the news. For example, I recall a series of photos you took in a grave yard. Find something the newscast would be interested in. Lots of free publicity.

BBB
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 11:17 am
Some links that may be useful to you now and in the future for advertising campaigns:

Local advertising venues:

http://www.austinadfed.com/resources_usefullinks.shtml

Local wedding industry vendors:

http://www.austincakelady.com/links.asp

Here's a couple of listings of outdoor wedding venues that you might hook up with to advertise for photography:

http://www.texasoutside.com/austin-wedding-venues.html

http://www.texasoutside.com/central-texas-wedding-venues.html

Rather than spending money on postage, you could print up a larger supply of fliers or postcards and leave them around wedding venues, hair and nail salons, florists, kid's clothing stores, etc.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 11:42 am
@Butrflynet,
Check out this local photography seminar that was held in Austin last March. You might get some leads from it, and maybe there is a video or recording of the workshop on promoting your work and finding new clients.

http://www.photoshelter.com/mkt/event/austin

And there's the Wedding Photo Journalists Association...here's their list of local Austin members advertising their services:

http://www.wpja.com/wedding-photographers/texas-austin-photojournalist.htm
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 11:49 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Here's a great lead for that suggestion, it is a collection of photojournalism by some of the photographers in the Austin Statesman newspaper:

http://photoblog.statesman.com/category/photojournalism

Here's how they describe their site:

Quote:
Welcome to Collective Vision, your opportunity to get a little closer to the Statesman photographers whose work you’ve admired throughout the years. Here you’ll get a behind-the-scenes look at some of our favorite images and some photos we were unable to fit onto the pages of the Statesman. You’ll get insight into how the photographers practice their craft and thoughts from the photojournalists who create the stunning images and videos.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 12:58 pm
. . . and don't forget bakeries, florists, landscapers, etc, who need pictures taken of their products or work. People never take pictures of their own home, either.
Mame

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:06 pm
@PUNKEY,
Realtors are another really good market - our realtor commissioned a friend to do our old house in watercolours. You can send out a card offering to take some fab photos of houses that sold for particular clients. Usually the realtor gives them a gift (or sometimes) so that would be a lovely memento for them. Give 'em a deal - you could get a LOT of business!
ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:14 pm
@shewolfnm,
Do you mean postcards or flyers/coupons?

I don't like any of the flyers/coupons that get delivered - they go directly into the recycling box.

I very very occasionally look at the true postcard-weight/style cards that get delivered.

I do however pick up the advertising postcards when I find them at concerts/restaurants/city advertising kiosks etc. They do have to pretty extraordinary to catch my eye - but I pick them up - actually consider what they're advertising. The best ones get shellacked on the inside of one of the kitchen cabinets.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:18 pm
Keep the 100 bucks - word of mouth works best!

Do you have a hairdresser you know? Hairdressers are a wealth of information and advertisement tool. Give her/him a free photo session in exchange for
having the pictures displayed in her/his store and give out post cards of your
ads.

Do the same with another store owner, perhaps children's clothing store - free photo session in exchange for advertising.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:19 pm
@Mame,
Apropos realtors, they always need someone who can take good pictures
of the houses they sell....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:21 pm
@CalamityJane,
Hair salons are a good idea.

A friend of mine used to be a head for hair competitions. A couple of times I was asked to go along to take photos of the process for the stylist's album. I know there's money in it at a higher level than my friend ever got.
0 Replies