A2K political junkies after the US election .

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 06:20 pm
sozobe wrote:
..... Rather than whoo-hooing and high-fiving all over the place, have one thread for each side to speak freely and then gather themselves and act civil elsewhere.

Both sides could do that, then commisserate in one and celebrate in the other and stay civil everywhere else.

Question

Now that's an excellent idea, soz! There are going to be some very shattered people, very soon Sad .... The comforting thing about us Oz folk here was that we all felt exactly the same. So we could all debrief, rage, cry, curse & commiserate together. It helped a lot. Therapy.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 06:23 pm
kuvasz wrote:
The 2004 general election is simply an event swathed in a process we call representative democracy. It is but a step, not the journey itself.

If one thinks that voting is the end all, then they have no understanding of this great experiment in the human experience we call America.

What I will do, what I will continue to do is work in my local community to make it better. Whether volunteering at the food bank, doing rescue work with abandoned animals, acting as a gadfly at local government meetings, and calling, writing, and emailing my government representatives to let them know what I think they should be doing; all entail community activism that does not cease on the morning of the second Wednesday in November.

Ours is that fortunate group of humanity who have freedom granted to us by birth and passed to our hands by those who sacrificed before us. It is their efforts we honor by continuing to endeavor to act responsibly and with concern that we leave this world a better place than was given to us.

Ours is a "....call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle, year in and year out, "rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation"--a struggle against the common enemies of man: tyranny, poverty, disease and war itself." JFK 1/20/61

"I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord." MLK 4/3/68

"For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die."

One nation, One world filled with liberty and justice for all.

beautifully said and well written...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 06:23 pm
..""For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die."

One nation, One world filled with liberty and justice for all."

Yes. Wise words, kuvasz.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 06:42 pm
I imagine, if George Bush wins again there will be a substantial number of whiners who will deny it and do what they can subvert the system, again. I imagine, if John Kerry wins there will be a substantial number of whiners who will deny it and do what they can subvert the system. <Yawns> I for one will be hoping beyond hope that whichever one of these posers gets the job; he actually tries to do it. I believe either man is capable of it... and I wish I had faith that either would try. I am very much looking forward to concentrating on less important things (Go Packers!). I will follow whichever man wins and I hope the vast majority of the country will do the same. Moreover, I hope he will be worthy. Rolling Eyes

Welcome to A2K, Rodeman.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 06:59 pm
Welcome Rodeman. I'm a political junkie and a Kerry supporter. I hope he wins and by a sufficent margin (electoral votes) to make moot any notion of vote rigging. If Mr Bush wins, so be it, and I hope he wins by a substantial margin for the same reason.
But I fear that that isn't going to happen. This could be so close and it could get really, really messy for awhile.
In normal times I would move on to college basketball. -rjb-
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:02 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
Welcome Rodeman. I'm a political junkie and a Kerry supporter. I hope he wins and by a sufficent margin (electoral votes) to make moot any notion of vote rigging. If Mr Bush wins, so be it, and I hope he wins by a substantial margin for the same reason.
But I fear that that isn't going to happen. This could be so close and it could get really, really messy for awhile.
In normal times I would move on to college basketball. -rjb-

Reckon it'll be easy to move onto college basketball this time, rjb? :wink:
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:07 pm
msolga wrote:
..""For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die."

they were ted kennedy's words at the close of his 1980 convention speech.

i did not cut and paste very well. sorry.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:10 pm
msolga wrote:
.... The comforting thing about us Oz folk here was that we all felt exactly the same.

Explain, please. Surely there must have been someone happy with the result.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:28 pm
I'm with you on this one Bill. I believe both men are capable and will be doing the best they can to lead this country. I don't think either one of them can or will screw things up too much.

One thing I am pretty sure I won't do if Kerry is elected, and that is spend the next four years calling him a moron and some of the other names that seem to abound on here for Pres. Bush. After all, I may not vote for him, but he is still the Pres. of this country. I think I can somehow manage to disagree with him politically without the name calling. Not that everyone will refrain from doing so, but one can only hope.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:38 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
msolga wrote:
.... The comforting thing about us Oz folk here was that we all felt exactly the same.

Explain, please. Surely there must have been someone happy with the result.

Not here at A2K, Gus. If there WAS someone, they kept it to themselves .... wisely! Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:40 pm
kuvasz wrote:
msolga wrote:

they were ted kennedy's words at the close of his 1980 convention speech.

i did not cut and paste very well. sorry.

Still wonderful sentiments, Kuvasv, no matter who said them.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:46 pm
msolga wrote:
Not here at A2K, Gus. If there WAS someone, they kept it to themselves .... wisely!

Ok, msolga. So you're inferring that the majority of Aussies on A2K, like their American counterparts, are of the liberal persuasion?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:47 pm
No, msolga, b-ball could be far away. As of tonight, it looks like Mr Kerry with 268 electoral votes and Mr Bush with 270.
Point well stated, coastalrat. I don't have much regard for the policies of our current administration, but he always is referred to as Mr Bush by johnboy. Johnboy's mom taught him to be that way; even if it meant biting his tongue hard, really hard. -rjb-
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:48 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
msolga wrote:
Not here at A2K, Gus. If there WAS someone, they kept it to themselves .... wisely!

Ok, msolga. So you're inferring that the majority of Aussies on A2K, like their American counterparts, are of the liberal persuasion?

Lefties, Gus, lefties ... Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:50 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
No, msolga, b-ball could be far away. As of tonight, it looks like Mr Kerry with 268 electoral votes and Mr Bush with 270.-rjb-

Oh
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:09 pm
Re: A2K political junkies after the US election .
msolga wrote:
I wish I'd had a strategy to cope with the hideous result in Oz.

You can discuss this, but you can't change it. In three years you will have the chance again.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:12 pm
Thok

Of course I can't change it, but I can commiserate & be commiserated with. A very nice thing about A2K! Smile
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:14 pm
That's for sure.
0 Replies