A2K political junkies after the US election .

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:09 pm
Just thinking ahead here, & wondering:

What are you guys going to do to come down after the election?

Will you go through withdrawal symptoms?

How will you celebrate if your side wins?
How will you cope with the horror if your side loses?

How will A2K be different, after ...?
Will you all make friends again? :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,820 • Replies: 37
No top replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:16 pm
Or is just too far ahead to even contemplate?
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:24 pm
Aren't we all friends? Shocked Geez, louise!

What I'll do is exercise like a maniac. That releases endorphins and always makes me feel good. Right after the elections (November 14, to be exact) is the 10th anniversary of my daughter's death (from cancer when she was almost 2) then December 15 is what would be her 12th birthday and we throw a party to get the house decked for Christmas (I just don't enjoy decorating like I used to, but like the house to be decked out for the holidays...) I'm also in school, so I will be studying for finals and finishing up projects... So my passion for one thing will be transferred over to other things... Lots of busy-ness until the new year for me, then another semester until I graduate, and by then it'll be their inauguration; I'll have detoxed from the election, resigned myself to living under the leadership of one of the two contenders... unless there is a horrible twist to the world as we expect to know it...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:44 pm
princesspupule

Aren't we all friends? Geez, louise!

Just wondering. Ya know some of those debates have been pretty torrid! Shocked Well, it's good that everyone's going to kiss & make up & accept the result in good spirits! You're much more civilized than many Oz folk after OUR election! :wink: Many are still hopping mad/depressed/vindictive ..or crowing. Evil or Very Mad Seems it all didn't just go away because it was over! Some even want to leave the country!

Anyway, YOU sound like you've got lots to keep you busy! Very Happy

(I'm so sorry about your daughter's death. A sad anniversary coming up. )
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:56 pm
Should we set up some sort of clinic re the withdrawals?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:03 pm
We just continue on as if the elections never happened, regardless of the outcome (and the outcome might not be clear for many weeks). Very Happy
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:22 am
Great question.

If, as Ticomaya suggests, there is not a clear winner and we have a repeat of 2000......

Whoooweeeeee. It will be nuts around here.

On the other hand, if there is a clearcut winner, watch for many to question the results, and claim the election was tainted, and it will be nuts around here. Smile

Since I am a relative new guy around here, I'll probably sit back a bit and see how things shake out.

But in the end, I have found A2K to be a wonderful place for a political junkie such as myself. And although some of the threads I have been involved in have become a tad nasty and mean, I have learned that there are many crisp and passionate minds here.

And I'm glad to be a part of it.....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:23 am
dlowan wrote:
Should we set up some sort of clinic re the withdrawals?

<smiling at those wagging, wabbity ears>

Jeeze, Deb, I could have done with a withdrawal clinic after the Oz election! Why didn't you think of that, then?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 03:29 am
Too depressed.

Still am.

The damn SENATE!!!!!!

I am gonna slash my ears....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 04:26 am
Aw, not the ears!!!!!!! Sad
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 04:47 am
I see a real possibility for major protest / revolt if the election goes as it did in 2000. Look at the crowds that swarmed DC four years ago, starting with the inaugral and followed by other protests for up to a year.

Do it again and it may not calm down as quickly or peacefully. That's what I expect, so there will still be plenty to talk and argue about.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 05:06 am
At last! A US political junky responds!!!! Laughing

Hi squinney. Smile

Yes, I imagine there WOULD be a major revolt if there was a repeat of that fiasco. You have reason to think there could be?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 05:26 am
I expect there to be a clear winner after a number of challenges in the close states. I have already voted and am ready for a respit now. Enough with the acrimony for a while. And even though I eventually voted a straight Democratic ticket, this will be my last time for doing so if nothing changes in the coming four years. I will live up to my promise to vote Green or possibly some other alternative from then on.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 05:41 am
Yay, edgar! Very Happy
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 08:21 am
As a newbie here, I can honestly say that regardless of how this election plays out, most people on this forum are exceptionally well informed. The diversity of opinion certainly makes one think. All arguments are generally well thought out and documented. I have enjoyed reading your opinions these past few months. You guys are head and shoulders above similar forums. Just my 2 cents.........
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 08:34 am
Re: A2K political junkies after the US election .
msolga wrote:
Just thinking ahead here, & wondering

First of all, the election is not over on the 2nd of November.
Anyway, to discuss about politics is easy and always possible.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 08:35 am
That's cool, rodeman!

I dunno what I'm going to do. My instinct if Kerry wins is going to be to celebrate loud and long and I'd want to celebrate with my fellow junkies. But I recognize that such celebration would really tick off the other side -- would bother me past a certain point were roles reversed. So I dunno, maybe start one specific thread for celebration and then Bush-backers could enter at their own risk?

Hey, I actually like that idea. We could do it either way. Rather than whoo-hooing and high-fiving all over the place, have one thread for each side to speak freely and then gather themselves and act civil elsewhere.

Both sides could do that, then commisserate in one and celebrate in the other and stay civil everywhere else.

Question
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:42 am
The 2004 general election is simply an event swathed in a process we call representative democracy. It is but a step, not the journey itself.

If one thinks that voting is the end all, then they have no understanding of this great experiment in the human experience we call America.

What I will do, what I will continue to do is work in my local community to make it better. Whether volunteering at the food bank, doing rescue work with abandoned animals, acting as a gadfly at local government meetings, and calling, writing, and emailing my government representatives to let them know what I think they should be doing; all entail community activism that does not cease on the morning of the second Wednesday in November.

Ours is that fortunate group of humanity who have freedom granted to us by birth and passed to our hands by those who sacrificed before us. It is their efforts we honor by continuing to endeavor to act responsibly and with concern that we leave this world a better place than was given to us.

Ours is a "....call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle, year in and year out, "rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation"--a struggle against the common enemies of man: tyranny, poverty, disease and war itself." JFK 1/20/61

"I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord." MLK 4/3/68

"For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die."

One nation, One world filled with liberty and justice for all.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 06:13 pm
Re: A2K political junkies after the US election .
Thok wrote:
msolga wrote:
Just thinking ahead here, & wondering

First of all, the election is not over on the 2nd of November.
Anyway, to discuss about politics is easy and always possible.

But, Thok, it doesn't hurt to plan ahead! Work out a survival strategy! :wink: What if the WORST happens & you wake up on the 3rd of November & the WRONG mob is controlling the show! Shocked I wish I'd had a strategy to cope with the hideous result in Oz. Every time I open my morning paper I go into shock! Shocked Sad Evil or Very Mad :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 06:15 pm
rodeman wrote:
As a newbie here, I can honestly say that regardless of how this election plays out, most people on this forum are exceptionally well informed. The diversity of opinion certainly makes one think. All arguments are generally well thought out and documented. I have enjoyed reading your opinions these past few months. You guys are head and shoulders above similar forums. Just my 2 cents.........

Very Happy Welcome rodeman.
0 Replies