GOP Criticizes Student Vote Campaign

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:30 am
What a great way to teach students about good citizenship! I doubt the GOP would critisize other groups who favor Bush. ---BBB

GOP Criticizes Student Vote Campaign
Wednesday October 27, 2004 2:31 PM
The Guardian UK

MILWAUKEE (AP) - Republicans are criticizing a Wisconsin get-out-the-vote campaign involving public school students, saying Democrats are exploiting the students for political gain.

Young people in the program organized by the Wisconsin Citizen Action Fund take time from regular classes to go door to door in minority neighborhoods and areas with historically low voter turnout, urging people to cast ballots.

The students, ranging in age from 11 to 18, also use phone banks to call homes and urge people to vote.

Chris Lato, spokesman for the state Republican Party, called the program ``a disgraceful use of taxpayer money.''

``To spend this time on a clearly partisan effort when these kids should be in school learning is shocking,'' Lato said.

Larry Marx, co-executive director of Wisconsin Citizen Action, denied there is any partisanship to the effort, despite the fact the advocacy group supports Democratic Sen. John Kerry.

The children do not wear any partisan buttons or clothing, and they do not encourage people to vote one way or another. Participation is voluntary, and parents are required to give their approval, he said.

Roseann St. Aubin, spokeswoman for Milwaukee Public Schools, said the administration approved of the program as long as it was not partisan and the curriculum met state standards for teaching.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,134 • Replies: 28
No top replies

neue regel

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:15 pm
What is the educational value of this 'project?'
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:18 pm
Quote:
What is the educational value of this 'project?'

Um, perhaps something about performing your civic duty and actively participating in the political process.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:19 pm
Uhmmmm...good citizenship> What's the fear here regel? The invited voters will turn out to be Dems?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:21 pm
I guess the more important question would be "can these children write the answers to the questions, read the questions, and be able to add and subtract the numbers?" That seems to be a more important issue facing kids these days.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:24 pm
Republicans are free to do the same thing. What better way to be educated in these matters than a hands-on experience?

But with Republicans actively supporting voter suppression in key swing states, I can't imagine a worse lesson for our children to learn.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:24 pm
The straw man now wears a cheese head...disingenuous at best McG. Besides, the failure of our schools is a bi-partisan debacle.
0 Replies

neue regel

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:36 pm
'Um, perhaps something about performing your civic duty and actively participating in the political process.'

Is it one's 'civic duty' to encourage people to get to the polls? If so, I have been falling short of that civic duty because I've never encouraged anyone of such a thing.

Is it also one's 'civic duty' to encourge one to be an educated voter? Why aren't we pushing that? I think that 11-18 year olds would do better studying the process in the classroom and educating themselves, first.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:37 pm
I think this issue is just stupid.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:39 pm
Quote:
Is it one's 'civic duty' to encourage people to get to the polls?

Um, yes. What is wrong with actually having an actively involved electorate, whether they be Democrats, Republicans, Green, Independent, etc.

Or do you actually see a problem with that? 4 years ago, roughly 50% of registered voters actually VOTED.

I guess you have no problem with that as well.

Very sad, indeed... Sad
0 Replies

neue regel

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:55 pm
'Or do you actually see a problem with that?'

Not really. I would rather have 50 educated people vote than 100 who are not.

Just my opinion, of course.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:58 pm
"Young people in the program organized by the Wisconsin Citizen Action Fund take time from regular classes to go door to door in minority neighborhoods and areas with historically low voter turnout, urging people to cast ballots. "

Sure the Republicans are upset. Why don't the Democrats send these puppets to White Collar, taxpaying, law abiding neighborhoods?? Oh, they might vote Republican.

So the Democrats are conditioning children to their ways.

Give me a break. Stop using children to do the Elected Representatives job.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 01:00 pm
Quote:
areas with historically low voter turnout
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 01:05 pm
As the Dems are all about getting out the vote, while the Republicans are all about suppressing the vote, I can see why the Dems would be concerned with low voter turnout.

But maybe if the Republicans stopped using fear, voter suppression and intimidation, then these children could actually learn a few things about the process, although I seriously doubt it. Those are disgusting characteristics I would never want my 5 year old to be privy of.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 01:11 pm
Dookie - Enjoying the Kool-Aid I see.

The Democrats are NOT all about "GETTING OU TO VOTE". They only want those who will vote their way to get out, as is quite apparent. To prostuitute children is a disgrace and anyone who supports it is ...a PIMP.

The Repubs are no better , but again, your claim of intimidation and fear is baseless. I do not see Repub supporters damaging property. I see Democrats doing that. I see Democrats saying that Senior Benefits will be lost when that is a lie.

Enjoy the Kool-Aid while you check my spelling and miss the entire point.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 01:14 pm
Quote:
Dookie - Enjoying the Kool-Aid I see

Looks like you've been drinking it for a while now.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-11/1096903225280330.xml

BOTH Democrats and Republicans are doing this. And it is wrong on BOTH sides.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 01:17 pm
And besides, Republicans have used children for their political gain as well:

http://www.unknownnews.net/040107forthechillldren.html

I consider that considerably worse than teaching our children about our right to vote.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 01:23 pm
I think the kids would be better served staying in the classroom and maybe spending a bit of extra classroom time studying our government structure and the responsibilities of the three branches of our fed. gov.

Oh, and maybe even learn who their Senators and Representatives are. I would bet that more than half the kids sent out urging people to vote don't know. That is sad.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 01:23 pm
woiyo wrote:
I see Democrats saying that Senior Benefits will be lost when that is a lie.

How do you know this?
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 01:25 pm
Quote:
I see Democrats saying that Senior Benefits will be lost when that is a lie.

How is that a lie when Bush's record these past four years indicates a serious threat to our fiscal well being?
0 Replies