What if Kerry: 269 electoral votes; Bush 269 electoral votes

fbaezer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:42 am
This is mainly a technical question:

Suppose that, on Nov. 2, Bush carries, among the swing states, Ohio, Michigan, Colorado and New Mexico, and Kerry carries Florida, Wisconsin and Iowa. It's a 269-269 tie.

Or suppose that Colorado votes in favor of proportional electoral votes, Bush carries Ohio and Florida; Kerry carries Michigan, Wisconsin, New Mexico and Iowa, the Democrats barely win in Colorado and electoral votes are distributed 5-4. It's a 269-269 tie.

What happens then?

(I'm giving Bush, by default, Alaska, Nevada, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Arizona, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisana, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennesee, Mississipi, Alabama, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. I'm giving Kerry, by default, Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, California, Minnesota, Illinois, Maine, Massachussets, New York, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Vermont, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware, Maryland and the District of Columbia)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,433 • Replies: 33
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:50 am
I think the House of Representatives gets to decide -- though my constitutional knowledge is very rusty.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:52 am
You are correct Free. The HoR votes to decide the election.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:55 am
Do you know if they need the 2/3rds or just a simple majority?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:56 am
I think all of us hope this doesn't happen.

Bush's first election was decided by the Judicial branch. Having his second decided by the Legislative branch would only lead to a logical outcome...

A third term decided by the executive?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:58 am
Simple majority, Free.

And I agree with you EB. We really don't need this thing being decided in the House of Rep.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:59 am
I suppose it's the House of Representatives elected on nov 2, not the current one. Right?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:59 am
Agree with both of you that we don't want it to come to that. Especially since, given your answer CR, the outcome is a foregone conclusion.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:01 am
I believe it is the current one FB, but I would have to look that up to double check. I could be mistaken on that one.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:03 am
I don't think the house of reps gets to decide vice president though.

Bush Edwards?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:07 am
CoastalRat wrote:
I believe it is the current one FB, but I would have to look that up to double check. I could be mistaken on that one.

That sounds right. The new ones wouldn't be sworn in yet?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:09 am
I did have something not quite right. The HoR vote for president BY STATE. Each state getting one vote. Thus, all reps from a single state vote for a candidate, the one getting most of the votes will get that state's vote on the house floor.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:11 am
Oh hey, that's interesting. I didn't know that.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:16 am
Always happy to inform. Also, I do not think there is a seperate vote for vice president. There cannot be a Bush-Edwards administration.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:17 am
CoastalRat wrote:
I did have something not quite right. The HoR vote for president BY STATE. Each state getting one vote. Thus, all reps from a single state vote for a candidate, the one getting most of the votes will get that state's vote on the house floor.

Strange.

This means South Carolina gets one vote, Idaho gets one vote and New York gets one vote?

Another question.
Are there representatives from D.C?
I mean... there could be a 25-25 tie there.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:20 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Always happy to inform. Also, I do not think there is a seperate vote for vice president. There cannot be a Bush-Edwards administration.

Alright, I'm probably wrong here. I do remember somebody making such a prediction though.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:21 am
I believe D.C. has one representative in the House, thus D.C. does have a vote. But to be certain I will have to research it.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:24 am
Einherjar wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:

Alright, I'm probably wrong here. I do remember somebody making such a prediction though.

Actually, I think I also remember someone on A2K making such a prediction. I will have to check it out to be sure, but I think I am right on this one. If I am not, I am sure it won't be the first time I have been wrong. Maybe the second time though. :wink:
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:26 am
CoastalRat wrote:
I believe D.C. has one representative in the House, thus D.C. does have a vote. But to be certain I will have to research it.

Eleanor Holmes Norton is a rep from DC. I think there are special rules for her though. I will look it up by recall that she cannot actually vote.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:27 am
Ok, see, I think I was wrong. The U.S. Senate does pick the VP. So I guess there can be a Bush-Edwards admin. Well, so much for me only ever being wrong once in my life. Now it's twice.
0 Replies