Is this rude and insensitive behavior?

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 10:06 pm
I work for a large company that has about 100 regular employees and maybe a couple hundred temps and contract employees who are here a little while and leave and then may come back.

Like any large group of people there are smaller groups who are close friends, people who are passing acquaintances and others who can't stand each other. Pretty normal.

Sometimes there are company wide parties where everyone is invited and sometimes there are private invitation only parties where someone invites only their friends. Once more, pretty normal.

What bugs the heck out of me is when the people who are invited to the private parties talk about how much fun they had in front of people who weren't invited. I think this is rude and insensitive. I have arranged my own private parties and I always make it a point not to talk about it in front of those who weren't invited. So it has nothing to do with whether or not I was invited.

What do you think? Has this happened to you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 987 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 10:29 pm
I don't think it's a big deal at all. Unless the people talking about how great the party was know the person listening may be pissed for not being invited.
For the most part, I wouldn't care. Nothing like this has happened to me since I was probably in high school anyway.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 10:38 pm
I hear what you're saying. When I moved back to Canada over 4 years ago this happened to me. I have a group of cousins that I was really close with from the time I was real little to my late teens when I stopped coming to Canada on vacation. Anyway, when I got here I knew that they had parties and it never bothered me when I wasn't invited until I started getting invitations to weddings and baby showers where of course money is involved. I'm good enough to give them gifts, but I don't exist the rest of the time. Needless to say, I threw their wedding and baby shower invitations right in the trash and kept my cash in my wallet. I know that this isn't the same thing, but even though I don't think the situations you described are a big deal, I agree that it is a bit rude. My cousins did that to me as well and I have to admit that it did bother me a little.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 10:50 pm
You would top my party list any day Montana!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 11:07 pm
Awww shucks, thanks Willow :-D

Of course you'd be the first to be invited to my party as well ;-)
0 Replies

ukman

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 11:44 pm
i hate work parties.cant stand them because you always end up chatting about work...as soon as i leave the yard works over ...end of
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 11:50 pm
I hear that. I've only been to a few work parties and I couldn't wait to get out of there.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:48 pm
The worst is having to attend your spouse's work parties. YUK!

I almost always manage to get out of those.
0 Replies

Slingofan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 04:53 pm
So there may be like, three groups, like the group of girls, and like the group of boys and the group of the ones who are not sure weather they are boys or girls, and like they hang out with each other, like they like being with each other, like they like each other or something like that, well when they invite their little group like to a party that has nothing to do with work and like they don't even like work anyway, so they go have their party and then they talk about it in front of everyone like they even care, so like who cares anyway, like what they say is important, well I think like it may be rude of them to talk like that anyway and they should just talk about what everyone else likes to talk about at work like the party that the ones they don't like after all don't need to know like it even happened.

I think I like this answer, reminds me of the teenage girls I heard talking at the Mall the other day, I thought like if I hear them say like one more time like I think I will like puke.
0 Replies

Wild n Crazy

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 06:13 am
Hey Slingofan,

Can I come where you work so that I can become friends of the group that is not sure if the are boys or girls. They may be a lot of fun.

Do you think you can use the word LIKE any more.
0 Replies