What is the difference between fine jewelry and costume jewelry?

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 01:20 am

McGentrix

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 07:55 am
@Richardsmen,
Mostly cost, secondarily how it's made, what it's made of and what it is used for. Kind of like the difference between an actual bar of gold and a bar of lead painted gold.
Blickers

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 03:55 pm
@Richardsmen,
While fine jewelry might have a real natural diamond in it, costume jewelry might have "paste", (an imitation diamond).

Now that genuine but artificial diamonds are common, I don't know how they would be classified.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 07:55 pm
@Richardsmen,
Costume jewelry is either gold plated or gold colored rather than solid gold. If there are stones, they are either semi precious or artificial.
Fine jewelry is "karat gold", either 10, 14, 18 or sometimes 22 or even 24. Fine jewelry can also be platinum or any of the other platinum-group metals (palladium, osmium, iridium, ruthenium or rhodium) although they are uncommon. Silver jewelry can be classed as either costume or fine, although I'm not sure how this determination is made.
0 Replies

centrox

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 05:08 am
In British English, the spelling is 'jewellery'. Just in case anybody was curious. And the third 'e' is pronounced.

roger

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 05:09 am
@centrox,
Well, we streamlined it for you.
seac

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 11:16 am
@Richardsmen,
It is easy to spot the costume jewelry. The metal is usually lumpy like and stones glued on. Stuff looks awfully gaudy and oversized. There was a shop next door that made these things and I saw a lot of rejects in their trash cans.
Blickers

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 01:01 pm
@centrox,
Quote centrox:
Quote:
In British English, the spelling is 'jewellery'. Just in case anybody was curious. And the third 'e' is pronounced.

I always wondered why some people over here pronounce the nonexistent third "e" in the word. Apparently it's not nonexistent, it just moved across the ocean.

Just like some people over here still call an airplane an aeroplane.
0 Replies

Roberta

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 11:56 pm
@seac,
seac wrote:

It is easy to spot the costume jewelry. The metal is usually lumpy like and stones glued on. Stuff looks awfully gaudy and oversized. There was a shop next door that made these things and I saw a lot of rejects in their trash cans.

This is not true. There is lots of well-designed and well-crafted costume jewelry.
0 Replies

ekename

Fri 19 May, 2017 06:07 am
Quote:

The jewelry is still out on the answer to this question.
visceral

Fri 19 May, 2017 03:23 pm
@ekename,
Bad joke
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Fri 19 May, 2017 04:19 pm
This thread brings to mind Guy de Maupassant's classic short story, The Necklace.
0 Replies

sarahjohn5

Thu 10 Aug, 2017 02:37 am
@Richardsmen,
The difference between fashion jewelry and Fine jewelry is the quality of the metal used in the jewelry and the authenticity of the stones set into the pieces.
Items considered to be Fine jewelry are constructed high levels of gold, sterling silver, or platinum plating. Fashion jewelry is simply painted on, low levels of silver and gold, if any of either is used at all.
Stones must be natural gemstones, which possess all the visual, chemical, and physical properties of mined gemstones to be categorized as fine jewelry.
Since they are natural, cultured pearls are categorized as fine jewelry. All natural diamonds are considered to be fine jewelry.
Fashion Jewelry falls in the middle. While fine jewelry base metals are gold and silver, fashion jewelry is plated metals, plated with pure gold and real silver.
For Instance, A gold ring with coral gemstone is classified as Fine Jewelry

On the other hand a gold plated brass ring with same coral gemstone is Fashion Jewelry
0 Replies

TinaSanders

Wed 16 Aug, 2017 05:35 am
@Richardsmen,
I do not know, jewelry is just jewelry
0 Replies

Aarohi Sharma

Tue 10 Oct, 2017 06:09 am
@Richardsmen,
The difference between fine jewelry and costume jewelry is the quality of the metal used in this jewellery. Fine Jewellery is made of natural stones, pearls and it's generally more expensive than costume pieces.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 09:01 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Well, we streamlined it for you.

how many do you use? we use one
ekename

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 07:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Whether Roger is the oyster or the pearl it sounds like he loves a good jewellery joke.
0 Replies

liamhudson

Wed 10 Jan, 2018 06:13 am
@Richardsmen,
Fine jewelry made of real gemstone and are costly. On the other hand costume
jewelry made up of inexpensive materials and are cheaper then fine jewelry but nowadays costume jewelry is in trends.
0 Replies

Amy Prisco

Fri 9 Mar, 2018 05:48 am
@McGentrix,
That's simple.

It is defined by the metal. Jewelry made with (genuine) gold, platinum, silver (etc). = Fine Jewelry.

Jewelry made with anything else - brass, copper, bronze, aluminum, (etc, etc) or Base Metal (which is a combo of different metals), plated metals, leather, fabrics (etc). = Fashion Jewelry.
0 Replies

RobiN0963

Thu 3 Dec, 2020 02:23 am
@Richardsmen,
Fine jewelry is way more expensive and made with precious stones and metals.
0 Replies