Undecided U.S. Soldier Kicked out of Bush Rally

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 05:55 pm
http://www.citizensvoice.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13207582&BRD=2259&PAG=461&dept_id=455154&rfi=6

To hear president speak

Depending on what side of the fence people are on, crowd control was at an all-time high or low at the Wachovia Arena in Wilkes-Barre Township during President Bush's visit Friday.

A 27-year-old registered Republican and member of the U.S. Army, along with three other people around him, was forced to leave the arena before getting inside.

The Wyoming Valley man who did not want to be identified by name because of his loyalty to his service members is being deployed to Iraq in two weeks. His Army service and status were verified.

He explained that he was attending the event in hopes of finding the right candidate to vote for on Nov. 2.

"I thought seeing Bush would be enough to sway my opinion one way or the other. After today, it definitely has swayed," he said.

While waiting in line, he noticed a stranger standing alone and invited the person to stand with him.

"I didn't think that would be a problem," he said.

It turned out to be.

Individuals from the Bush campaign spotted the individual with the soldier and identified the person as a Democratic supporter.

The spotters, and eventually police, asked the Democratic supporter to remove a jacket, a sweater and some other articles of clothing in what was described as basically a police search.

The soldier said the Democratic supporter did what was asked without any complaint. The person also provided a ticket to the event.

The soldier said that when he asked why the person was being hassled, the spotters said the Democrat's name wasn't on their "master list."

"So I asked if we could see the master list? They said they didn't have it," he said.

The soldier said he stood up for the supporter, but was in no way hostile, because he was there to see the president and hoped to justify voting for him.

Not long after showing his own ticket and being told he wasn't part of the "master list" either, the police asked the soldier to leave. He was told the event was for Bush supporters or undecided voters only.

Until Friday when he left the arena, the soldier was an undecided voter. Now he's voting for Sen. Kerry and volunteering for the Kerry-Edwards campaign.

"I thought the whole Bush message was compassionate conservatism. I didn't see anything compassionate from the Bush people," he said.

Carrie Hyun, spokeswoman for Kerry-Edwards Northeast Pennsylvania, after hearing about the incident said she's heard of people being barred from events before, but never a registered Republican about to represent his country during war.

"This only underscores how the Kerry style campaign is different," Hyun said. "Last time I checked, this was a democracy."

Wilkes-Barre Township Police Chief Robert Brozowski said that close to 150 people monitored the event. State and area police, Secret Service members and the state Game Commission made up many of the workers.

"I thought things went very well," Brozowski said.

Brozowski admitted that some people were asked to leave, but he wasn't sure of the specifics of each case.

"What you have to understand," Brozowksi said. "The Republican National Convention had control over the whole arena. They were calling the shots."

Brozowski said he asked his force to conduct themselves with dignity and respect.

"It's not always going to be 100 percent. There will always be a complaint somewhere," Brozowski said.

As for the soldier's complaint, his views on his upcoming duty in Iraq haven't changed.

"I'm given my job and I do that job to the best of my ability. If my job is being over there (Iraq), that's all right," he said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,381 • Replies: 40
No top replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 11:49 am
Amazing. Two people agree that Bush and Cheney should kick out Republican U.S. soldiers who are undecided.

And I thought they were fighting for those exact freedoms that Bush and Cheney obviously don't give a **** about.

Amazing.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 12:14 pm
While I do not think it is "right", I would not deny any candidate the right to control who attends their rallies.

I wonder if there is another side to this story...there usually is.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 12:16 pm
Quote:
I would not deny any candidate the right to control who attends their rallies

I would, Larry434. It's called freedom and democracy. And it's what this American Soldier, who is shipping out to Iraq in a couple of weeks, is presumably fighting for.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 12:18 pm
Besides, Kerry has been dealing with hecklers throughout his campaign trail. Why is it that neither Bush nor Cheney can do the same?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 12:18 pm
Quote:
While I do not think it is "right", I would not deny any candidate the right to control who attends their rallies.

I wonder if there is another side to this story...there usually is.

Shouldn't anyone be allowed to come see the president speak? After all, he works for all of us...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 12:22 pm
Cycloptichorn:

EXACTLY. They are OUR public servants. We pay the taxes that allow Bush to fly to these campaign events, events even with an airforce flyover.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 01:08 pm
Perhaps most of those here who think they should have unfettered access to the President, why don't you demand an audience in the WH and an unrestricted tour of his private quarters?

After all, we pay for him, his staff, and his digs. He works for you, doesn't he?
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 01:21 pm
Larry434:

What the hell does ANY of that have to do with an undecided REPUBLICAN American soldier about to be shipped off to Iraq being able to view the President or Vice President at a campaign rally?

My guess is absolutely nothing.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 01:28 pm
Quote:
Perhaps most of those here who think they should have unfettered access to the President, why don't you demand an audience in the WH and an unrestricted tour of his private quarters?

After all, we pay for him, his staff, and his digs. He works for you, doesn't he?

This is the poorest argument for kicking someone out of a political rally I've ever seen.

Complete tripe.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 01:34 pm
lol. That sounds like a Kerry supporter trick. My guess is this "registered Republican" who "did not want to be identified by name" is not really a Republican, and was there to cause trouble. When he was successful, he followed through with his plan to tell the media that the "mean old" Bush campaign won't let registered Republicans who are undecided go to his rallies.

I suspect that young man's mind was made up well before last Friday.

But that's just my guess ...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 01:37 pm
It shouldn't matter at all.

You shouldn't have to be registered anything to go see your own goddamn president speak in public.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 01:46 pm
Call me cynical, but I don't buy this story. Maybe if the soldier had allowed his name to be used I could better believe this incident happened. The article just smacks of propaganda designed to make Bush look bad.

No different in my opinon than the idiot who put up pictures of him and his child crying over the torn Bush/Cheney sign at a Kerry rally. Again, designed simply to cast Kerry supporters as being evil. I didn't buy that and I don't buy this story. Not without a bit more proof. And not the kind of proof CBS supplies either. Smile
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 01:47 pm
Right on Cycloptichorn!
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 01:59 pm
Quote:
But that's just my guess ...

And a poor one at that.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:14 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Larry434:

What the hell does ANY of that have to do with an undecided REPUBLICAN American soldier about to be shipped off to Iraq being able to view the President or Vice President at a campaign rally?

My guess is absolutely nothing.

It has everything to do with who the President chooses to interact with. Sometimes his staff might err in complying with the President's wishes.

As in the case of this unfortunate refusal to allow the subject citizen here to hear the President.

That is why I vote no in your poll.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:17 pm
The president speaking at a politcal rally, during an election year, should be open to ALL Americans.

After all, how can they be convinced to vote for Bush if they can't even go hear the guy speak? Does Bush ONLY want to speak to his supporters, and noone else? How come no other presidential candidate in history has acted in this fashion?

It is unbecoming of our leader to divide the populace, so that those who do not support him aren't even allowed to hear him speak. Truly.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:20 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The president speaking at a politcal rally, during an election year, should be open to ALL Americans.

After all, how can they be convinced to vote for Bush if they can't even go hear the guy speak? Does Bush ONLY want to speak to his supporters, and noone else? How come no other presidential candidate in history has acted in this fashion?

It is unbecoming of our leader to divide the populace, so that those who do not support him aren't even allowed to hear him speak. Truly.

Cycloptichorn

Politics, cy, politics. If it is bad politics the President will pay the price next week.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:22 pm
This has NOTHING to do with interacting with the President, therefore your vote/point is utterly irrelevant. The President isn't INTERACTING with anyone. He speaks, they cheer. He's mearly a public speaker in a presumbably open public forum. He is ALSO your public servant.

But this has EVERYTHING to do with the freedoms of democracy in allowing the PEOPLE to view their PRESIDENT who is running for RE-ELECTION, especially an undecided Republican soldier about to be sent off to Iraq who is fighting for you and me so that we can have those rights for ourselves. You've argued time and again on Abuzz about our soldiers fighting for our freedoms here at home by going to Iraq, and now you DENIGRATE those who would fight for those freedoms, whether they be for Bush, for Kerry, or undecided?

I don't think I've EVER heard you so off-base before in my life, BULLprag. This is a first.

Unbelievable... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:24 pm
Don't worry, it's bad politics, HORRIBLE politics, and Bush WILL pay the price next week.
0 Replies