Healthy Broccoli

gollum

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 11:59 am
I wish to eat healthy food and have been told that broccoli consumption is a good idea. Is steaming the most healthful cooking method? Should I cut the florets off before steaming?

Is there a healthy and tasty seasoning that I can apply? Olive oil? The Chinese restaurants provide "brown sauce." What is brown sauce? Do I add the oil or seasoning before cooking or after?

dalehileman

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 12:21 pm
@gollum,
Gol, thank you, and it's one of the new 'magic' foods. My BH serves it to me allatime. I will fwd this OP to her, who might respond as to method
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 12:24 pm
I don't believe in 'magic' foods. Just eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 12:29 pm
@gollum,
I like to oven roast broccoli, checking it to see if it's done yet. I will have drizzled the florets with olive oil, tossed some salt and black pepper on them, and sometimes hot new mexico chile powder, maybe or maybe not a dust of powdered turmeric. Adding none of those except the oil would probably be fine too.

I tend to roast at 350, others may roast higher. My key kitchen aim is not to set my place afire.

Roasted cauliflower is good too..

Re the florets, I scissor them into a smaller sizes that you can nab later with a fork.
Re the left behind broccoli stems, might as well roast at the same time, perhaps for broccoli cheese soup, or whatever.
centrox

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 12:52 pm
Here in England, we can get something called "tenderstem" broccoli, I don't know if it available elsewhere. It is apparently a hybrid of European broccoli and Chinese kale. It's very nice. It's supposed to be more nutritious than the traditional kind.
https://www.ocado.com/productImages/306/30662011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=892a803e88e76eb37a990e98e957f46e
Also, purple sprouting broccoli. Treat it like asparagus. Also very good for you.

http://everyday-vegetarian-recipes-images.s3.amazonaws.com/purple-sprouting-broccoli-01.jpg
farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 01:56 pm
@ossobucotemp,
oven roated or deep fried (just like brussel sprout halves)
We serve the florets and the stems with capers and a garlic butter. We kinda jack up the holesterol a bit bit its only a dusting.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 02:04 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
I don't believe in 'magic' foods
There are 'magic' otcm's too, for instance 5-htp for limbs that go to sleep
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 02:05 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
something called "tenderstem"

Cen thanks, I'll h ve BH look into this

I wonder how many objections we'll get from TAATANE warning us not to discuss anything but philo or esl
0 Replies

Gridfamiliar

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 07:55 am
@gollum,
You can cut the florets in small sizes. Steaming is the healthiest way in cooking a broccoli.
farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 07:59 am
@Gridfamiliar,
we often steam em in a ham flavored broth
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 08:03 am
@centrox,
we call that broccolini or Broccoli raab. Its a staple on Italian tables and comes in several colors including yellowish.

The broccolinis are usually served in a bit of a hot and sour "gravy"
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 08:06 am
@ossobucotemp,
love roasting cauliflower, olive oil, dash of salt, pepper and paprika

broccoli i saute quickly in some olive oil and lemon zest
farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 08:11 am
@djjd62,
oh yeh thats really good. Roasted cauliflowers, and brussel sprouts srved with lemon and a teaspoon of capers per serving . This is great eating with almost any other combination of food groups
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 08:34 am
Broccoli is one of the truly good foods to consume. I often eat it raw, but steamed or roasted is the best.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 08:39 am
@djjd62,
Roasting is just the best. I now roast every week (I won't during the summer months). It heats up the house and it smells awesome and tastes even better. Very Happy
djjd62

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 09:40 am
@jespah,
agreed, i'll roast even in the summer, sometimes make a head early in the morning

nothing better on a cold winter day than a pan of roasted root veggies, carrots, parsnip, rutabaga, yellow beets (red are good too, but they tend to dye everything else they're cooked with, add some garlic and shallots, yummmy
jespah

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 09:57 am
@djjd62,
I'm coming over. I'll bring chicken.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 11:25 am
@gollum,
If you aren't worry about fat - after steaming - pour some melted cheese (cheddar is best over them).

Personally I like them simply steamed with a little garlic and olive oil - though reading the roasting suggestions that sounds good too.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2017 11:51 am
@centrox,
Quote:
sprouting broccoli... very good for you
Thanks most kindly Cen for that report, seriously, I had assumed that purplish hue owed to age
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2017 03:59 pm
@farmerman,
mmm, capers, garlic butter, making me hungry
0 Replies