Cheesehead Central

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 07:10 pm
@panzade,
He also got taken down by his facemask.
patiodog

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 08:04 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I was going to point out the same thing. No way I'd ever throw that flag if I was an official, though...
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 08:12 pm
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:

I was going to point out the same thing. No way I'd ever throw that flag if I was an official, though...
I'm not clear on the rule: Would it be deemed a personal foul that occured after the fumble and therefore be irrelevant?

Or would it nulify the result of the play?
panzade

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 10:13 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I believe if it happened after Rogers lost control of the ball it wouldn't nullify the fumble.
CowDoc

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 10:59 pm
@panzade,
I didn't watch the replay closely, but I think the face mask occurred no only after the fumble, but even after the Cards had control of the ball. I don't think the officiating crew could have made it off the field is they nullified that one.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 07:27 am
That was a heartbreaker. So so close.
sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 07:34 am
@sozobe,
I had just turned back to the TV -- my husband was talking to me -- to see the Cardinal run into the end zone. The commentators exulted about the game being over, they showed Rodgers looking crushed, and I turned it off. Didn't see the actual fumble.

Only knew it was a possibility after reading this, just read some more... that SUCKS.

Video:

The fumble does occur first though. (Not as a result of the facemasking.)
Gargamel

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 09:42 am
So I' m still crying into my mouth, the tears dribbling from my lips, and even though that was the shittiest shittiest ending to a game in the history of the world ever, it's hard not to be optimistic. After all, this team won only six games last year.

And they're the youngest team in the NFL. Now with playoff experience. And a chip on its shoulder. Bill, you're not going to like this, and I don't say it to stir the pot, but I tip my hat to Thompson for securing so much young talent. The Favre hangover didn't last very long, and the Pack will be tormenting the NFC North for at least another half-decade.

GO PACK!
sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 10:22 am
@Gargamel,
Yeah, I had the same response.

My dream scenario at this point is still:

- Vikings win Super Bowl.

- Brett Favre retires.

- A young Packers team gets better and better in the next few years.

(Where was A.J. Hawk? I kept thinking the other blond longhair was him, but it wasn't. Never saw him.) LOVE Jermichael Finley.

And Rodgers showed a whole lot of promise last night.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 10:55 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

So I' m still crying into my mouth, the tears dribbling from my lips, and even though that was the shittiest shittiest ending to a game in the history of the world ever, it's hard not to be optimistic. After all, this team won only six games last year.

And they're the youngest team in the NFL. Now with playoff experience. And a chip on its shoulder. Bill, you're not going to like this, and I don't say it to stir the pot, but I tip my hat to Thompson for securing so much young talent. The Favre hangover didn't last very long, and the Pack will be tormenting the NFC North for at least another half-decade.

GO PACK!
Laughing Not okay for Brett to lead the team to 13-3 and the NFC Championship before turning it over at a crucial moment; but it's fine when Aaron does it? And Ted Thompson's a genius after following up a 13-3 season with a 6-10 disaster and then an 11-5 one and done? Interesting perspective you have there.

I would agree that the Packers' future looks bright, due in no small part to Aaron Rogers' well above average play and the acquisition of Charles Woodson, which can only be described as brilliant. However, this in no way negates the idiocy in creating a false Dilemma (Brett or Aaron) in a year that they were both already under contract and neither would be going anywhere. No such dilemma existed when Thompson foolishly, selfishly, drove a wedge between loyal Packer fans and the greatest Packer of them all. The man is an idiot.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 11:00 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Try having to put up with a guy like Al Davis here in Oakland. Now there's a true idiot owner.

Cycloptichorn
Gargamel

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 11:10 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Gargamel wrote:

GO PACK!
Laughing Not okay for Brett to lead the team to 13-3 and the NFC Championship before turning it over at a crucial moment; but it's fine when Aaron does it? And Ted Thompson's a genius after following up a 13-3 season with a 6-10 disaster and then an 11-5 one and done? Interesting perspective you have there.

I would agree that the Packers' future looks bright, due in no small part to Aaron Rogers' well above average play and the acquisition of Charles Woodson, which can only be described as brilliant. However, this in no way negates the idiocy in creating a false Dilemma (Brett or Aaron) in a year that they were both already under contract and neither would be going anywhere. No such dilemma existed when Thompson foolishly, selfishly, drove a wedge between loyal Packer fans and the greatest Packer of them all. The man is an idiot.

Slow down there, buckaroo. Rodgers orchestrated the kind of comeback you've essentially said, over and over, we'd never see after Favre's departure. And why should I blame him for piss-poor pass protection? Anyway, unlike you, I don't have the same ridiculous expectations for a second-year QB that I do for a 15-year veteran. And you're right I blame said veteran when he ties a bow around the NFC Championship and hands it to a cornerback on the opposing team. Rodgers threw the fewest interceptions in GB history, BTW.

Hell yes Thompson is a genius, for the very reasons you described. And for those very reasons, you will, this year or the next, whenever Favre retires, become exclusively a Packers fan again. Because it's not going to be very fun to root for the Vikings when Jackson or whomever they've got in the wings is under center. When a few mental errors young players make are all that stand in the way of the youngest team in football and the divisional playoff round, considerable credit should go to the GM, no matter how great your man-crush on Benedict Arnold may be.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 11:38 am
@Gargamel,
Laughing Make no mistake, I have no allegiance to the Vikings and will be thrilled to see their butts kicked week in and week out as soon as the loyalty I owe the greatest Packer in history no longer mandates this deviation.

Btw, I don't recall ever opining that Aaron wouldn't be able to deliver a comeback, and I certainly never said anything as blatantly stupid as "we'd never see one again." The kid has played his heart out since taking over and I've never blamed him for Ted Thompson's idiocy. The only real complaint I remember making about Rogers is that he tends to hold the ball too long. He does.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 11:41 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Try having to put up with a guy like Al Davis here in Oakland. Now there's a true idiot owner.

Cycloptichorn
Whoa... we're talking General Managers here. I try not to be too critical of the Green Bay Packers' owners... because I am a shareholder myself and can tell you first hand that we don't get to make that decision. Wink
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 11:47 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn
Whoa... we're talking General Managers here. I try not to be too critical of the Green Bay Packers' owners... because I am a shareholder myself and can tell you first hand that we don't get to make that decision. Wink

Hahah fair enuff.

I'll tell ya one thing about ol' Brett... he hurt Adrian Peterson's fantasy #'s this year with his awesome play.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 12:23 pm
I, like Sozobe, turned the TV off the moment the referee raised his hands.

In the play before the fumble, Rodgers was hit with the helmet by a defenseman. Should have been called unnecessary roughness.

Anyway, it was a good game to see (after a first quarter in the chambers of the Inquisition) and Rodgers played quite well for his 1st playoff game.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 01:37 pm
@sozobe,
More on the non-call:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/These-refs-will-never-be-accused-of-coddling-the?urn=nfl,212716

Haven't seen anything definitive re: what would've happened if they'd called it. No TD but the Cardinals would still have had possession, right?
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 01:42 pm
@sozobe,

0:39
facemask grabbed nanoseconds after fumble.

woulda-shoulda-coulda, it might've been overturned had McCarthy thrown the flag...
panzade

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 02:17 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
No TD but the Cardinals would still have had possession, right?

right...and the odds of them not scoring....infinitesimal
OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 02:36 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

0:39
facemask grabbed nanoseconds after fumble.

woulda-shoulda-coulda, it might've been overturned had McCarthy thrown the flag...
In OT replays are supposed to come from the booth, no?