Region Philbis

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 03:52 pm

retirement #2...
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/12/sports/football/12favre.html?ref=football
wandeljw

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 04:22 pm
@Region Philbis,
You are a brave man, RP.

This is going to fuel another heated debate from sozobe's regular gang.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 04:44 pm
@wandeljw,

i should hope so... Mr. Green
patiodog

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 04:59 pm
@Region Philbis,
The Jets are really going to miss Pennington, aren't they?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 05:01 pm
@Region Philbis,
The NYT's article cited above required signing up to read. What did it say in 25 words or less?
sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 05:56 pm
@wandeljw,
Eh.

The first retirement was big, and the un-retiring and subsequent mess were big, but personally I just kind of shut down after that, Brett-wise. I don't think I care too much whether he's back for another year as a Jet or if he retires completely.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 06:12 am
@realjohnboy,

No Tears This Time, Favre Says So Long

This time, when Brett Favre decided to ride off on his lawnmower in Mississippi and spend his days in retirement targeting deer instead of receivers, it felt final.

Even the most skeptical, even friends and teammates who lived through years of rumors and indecision, even those who hold a sliver of reasonable doubt, still believe that Favre’s N.F.L. career is finished after 18 seasons.

“No question,” said Don Majkowski, a teammate of Favre’s in Green Bay. “He’s done.”

But never say never, friends make sure to add, knowing that Favre has tossed around the R-word frequently the last three seasons. They know he carved his Hall of Fame career from unconventional decisions made in haste. And they watched as he cried through the news conference announcing his retirement last spring.

The difference between that announcement and the one he made Wednesday is that those close to Favre actually believed him when he said: “It has been a wonderful career. It’s time to leave.”

Favre, who battled through injury during the season, understands the skepticism as well as anyone, and he joked about it during a conference call Wednesday night.

As far back as 2006, Majkowski believed Favre would soon retire. Majkowski worked as a television analyst for Packers games, and whenever he approached Favre on the field and asked how he was hanging in there, the answer was “barely.”
Gargamel

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 09:25 am
@Region Philbis,
So that's what happened to Majik and his majestic mullet!
patiodog

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 08:11 pm
@Gargamel,
You know, it's kind of weird. I'm at an age, for the first time (more or less), when the great sports stars of today are almost all younger than me, and have been able to watch a few careers from near-beginnings to end (I watched Mike Piazza play in the minors -- A-ball, I think). And it changes the way I watch things. (I wonder what it's like to be a 70-year-old sports fan...)
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 08:54 pm
Thanks for the story. I reckon this time Farve means it. I predicted before and I will repeat it again: he will run for Congress from Mississippi at some point. Perhaps as soon as in the next election.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 08:19 am
@patiodog,
I know what you mean. Patrick Ewing was the first one that hit me that way, I think -- I watched him all the way through Georgetown, and it was weird to see him retire from the Knicks as a worn-out old man.
patiodog

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 08:29 am
@sozobe,
Yeah, definitely roundball is the biggest sport for me that way. I remember when Alonzo Mourning (G'town) and Billy Owens (Syracuse) were the big phenoms -- that's around when I seriously started to follow the game. Mourning panned out, Owens -- not so much. And Derrick Coleman, Lionel Simmons, Harold Miner...

Remember the first time I saw Shaq play on TV, as a freshman at LSU. He made a monstrous one-handed tip jam coming down the middle of the lane and it was just -- wow, kid is special. I think he would have been a lot more spectacular if he'd kept the weight down, but maybe not as effective...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 07:03 pm
I was actually happy when Favre signed with the Jets (the former Namath boys are my favorite AFC team). But now...

TREASON!!!!!!

(I just hope our defense retires him from good on the first game Twisted Evil )
sozobe

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 07:42 pm
@fbaezer,
I'm so traumatized.
sozobe

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 07:44 pm
@sozobe,
Brett Favre... in a Vikings helmet

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2009/08/ipt/1250623416.jpg

ack
panzade

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 07:55 pm
@sozobe,
It's time soz...time to let go.
Repeat after me...''Favre dissed the Packers...Favre sucks....I hope he gets his leg broken''...there, you can do it.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 08:07 pm
@sozobe,
Tickled to death to see the betrayed one back in the black and blue. I will be giving him a standing O each time he scores against my beloved Packers. May Ted Thompson rot in hell for all eternity!

Can't wait to hear Gus's take... Shocked
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 08:29 pm
Why won't he just retire, damn it?
Forgive me for intruding, but here on A2K is the 6th season of the game for folks who only are mildly interested in the NFL.
The thread is HA, HA, IT'S BACK. THE A2K NFL "PICK-UM" GAME.
It takes about 10 minutes a week to play but in the down time you get to read about (e.g from last year) Ehbeth's belly dancing and Cowdoc's telling about sticking his arm deep inside a cow. Those stories were worth a lot more than the price of admission, which was zero.
Please consider joining us. All 25 or so of us if I can do a little better than last year.
sublime1

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 10:18 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
http://sconnie.com/scaled_jpg.php?src=images/products/positions/2/137.jpg&x=300

Love it!!!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 05:12 am
@realjohnboy,
Here is a link to realjohnboy's picks thread:
http://able2know.org/topic/135413-1#post-3735934
0 Replies