Cheesehead Central

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 04:12 pm
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

Could the Jets' improved percentage have something to do with how shitty Chad Pennington was last year? If we're going to get all empirical let's at least be fair.
Chad's got the Dolphins ahead of the Packers right now (Yes, the ******* Dolphins). His QB rating is not far behind at 93.7 (with the Dolphins Shocked) You know the Dolphins, right? They won one game all last year... ONE. So, Brett's and Chad's teams are both doing 10 times better, while Aaron's is doing 4 times worse than last year.

Gargamel wrote:
More importantly, would the Pack have a better record with a more aggressive, Favre-oriented passing game?
No way to tell, but ALL available evidence suggests YES!

Gargamel wrote:
My argument here is that even with Favre the Packers would be .500.
No, that's your assertion. You've offered no argument that suggests this would be the case. Considering we've lost 3 exceedingly tight games; we could easily have 8 wins right now (like somebody we know) if our QB didn't hold the ball too long. (Who's that guy who’s world renowned for making something out of nothing when it matters again? Oh yeah… Brett Favre…)
OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:06 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Dude. Are you watching? This kid will never be Brett Favre.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:22 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I am not watching and know little about football. But Rodgers (my Fantasy game QB) has something close to the 18 projected. The GB Defense is at -1 vs 9.
Are you assigning blame where it belongs?
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:32 pm
@realjohnboy,
29-51.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:44 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I am not watching and know little about football. But Rodgers (my Fantasy game QB) has something close to the 18 projected. The GB Defense is at -1 vs 9.
Are you assigning blame where it belongs?
Yes. He started stinking the place up well before the game got away. The Defense (and coaching for that matter) is stinking too, but that doesn't make it any harder to hit a wide open Greg Jennings.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 09:03 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Why do you insist that this is my argument? I would never make that comparison, which, by the way, is completely unfair. Where did I say he's going to be Brett Favre? And, as a Favre defender, I know you weren't complaining about Rodgers' INTs before last night. So le's not go there.

He doesn't have to be Brett Favre to take the team (probably not this year) to the Superbowl.

In fact, last night's game just proved my point. It's a shame Brett wasn't there to play inside linbacker, right? Goddamn Aarron for all those missed tackles!
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 10:34 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

Why do you insist that this is my argument? I would never make that comparison, which, by the way, is completely unfair. Where did I say he's going to be Brett Favre?
Huh? You responded to my latest Thompson's an idiot evidence by first showing Aaron with a similar QB rating, and then stating that you don't think Brett could do better. Maybe you need to figure out what your argument is... because I'm just responding to what you write, while illustrating my argument (that Thompson is indeed an idiot).

Gargamel wrote:
And, as a Favre defender, I know you weren't complaining about Rodgers' INTs before last night. So le's not go there.
Interceptions don't bother me. Missing targets by large margins does. The kid had a VERY bad day.

Gargamel wrote:
He doesn't have to be Brett Favre to take the team (probably not this year) to the Superbowl.
That is where you're completely missing the point. Brett Favre had a better shot at taking them to the Super Bowl THIS YEAR.

Gargamel wrote:
In fact, last night's game just proved my point. It's a shame Brett wasn't there to play inside linbacker, right? Goddamn Aarron for all those missed tackles!
Rolling Eyes Dude, who other than you is blaming him for shortcomings on D? The kid threw a terrible game... which only served as further proof that Ted Thompson is an idiot. Deal with it.
Gargamel

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 11:24 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Huh? You responded to my latest Thompson's an idiot evidence by first showing Aaron with a similar QB rating, and then stating that you don't think Brett could do better. Maybe you need to figure out what your argument is... because I'm just responding to what you write, while illustrating my argument (that Thompson is indeed an idiot).

1. I compared their stats THIS year. To which you replied with an equation comparing Brett's 15+ years in the NFL (Best Quarterback in History) to Aaron's first year as a starter (Good Quarterback).

I still contend they meet on a slope where Brett's skills will at the very least maintain his present plateau at Good, and Rodger's will improve as he gains experience.

2. Yes, Rodgers had a very bad day in an otherwise decent season.

3. Yesterday demonstrates why even Favre could not take this team to the Superbowl. The Pack is not putting it together as a team. Yes, Aaron held onto the ball too long against the Vikings. Yesterday it was the defense. Grant has not put up the numbers he did last year.

4. 2007's team, which you've lauded in several posts, have everything to do with what at first appeared to be questionable decisions on Thompson's part.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 12:25 pm
@Gargamel,
The part you don't seem to get is that Rodgers wasn't going anywhere. He was under contract till 2010. This means he is either:
A. Better than Brett Favre this year.
B. Ted Thompson is an idiot.
There really is no middle ground. If he doesn't give the Packers a better chance to win this year (and he very obviously doesn't), then Ted Thompson dropped the friggin ball. I don't really get why so many people have allowed Thompson to frame the argument as an either or... because that is bogus. It is a false dilemma created to cover for Thompson's stubborn idiocy.

The guy took a 13-3, legitimate contender and turned it into a team looking to the future? WTF?

(Please don't mistake my annoyance being pointed at anyone other than Ted Thompson)(Well, McCarthy can have some too)(WTF was he smoking before calling that Onside Kick?)
sozobe

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 01:36 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I do think there's middle ground. Contracts or no contracts, it's not a good idea to have an extremely disgruntled future legacy quarterback lurking in the background. And Rodgers would have plenty of reason to be disgruntled if he was teased and then denied for another year.

I think there's plenty of blame to go around. I have a lot of sympathy for Brett but I think he could have handled this better (especially, just not declare his retirement in the first place); and while I think Thompson bears a fair amount of culpability for the mess, I also get aspects of why he did what he did.

Meanwhile, my Brett-allegiance seems to trump my Packers-allegiance -- I seem more interested in how the Jets are doing (and happier when I find out that they're doing well) than in how the Packers are doing. (Though when both do well, I'm happiest.)
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 03:24 pm
@sozobe,
That doesn't stand up to scrutiny, Soz. You don't trade Michael Jordan because the next in line, who may or may not prove to be exceptional too, may or may not get over it if you remain loyal to Jordan for leading your team to more victories than any other player in history. That is what Ted Thompson did.

Besides, the truth is; Rodgers would have sucked it up and waited till next year with his mouth shut and his team loyalty evident... just like any other unproven backup quarterback praying for a shot at the big time would. Talking about the next decade, with a quarterback who has yet to ever start a season (let alone a winning season) is silly… especially in a game where the average career is under 4 years

Ted Thompson is a stubborn jerk who put his ego in front of the best interest of the team. When Brett said he was thinking about coming back; Ted should have responded, “I would be honored to carry your luggage, sir. On behalf of the entire Packers organization; let me be the first to say welcome home. You were right about Moss, btw and I’ll try not to be so damned stupid in the future. Great to have you back!”
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 04:04 pm
Anybody see Gus? We should congratulate him on Minnesota winning NFC North.
patiodog

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 06:39 pm
@wandeljw,
Turns out Ryan Longwell is the former Packer veteran who got his new team to the playoffs...
sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 12:55 pm
@patiodog,
Yeah.

Love him, love the name for a kicker.

Just read the sports section of the NYT. Lots about the Jets, Favre, really retiring now?, etc.

And the Packers beating the (now) 0-16 Lions. Whoo-hoo.

No playoffs for either (Jets, Packers).

Hope Aaron Rodgers has a bright future ahead of him.
Gargamel

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 01:03 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Hope Aaron Rodgers has a bright future ahead of him.

I think he's proved that, at least.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 10:31 am
So, um, guys. What are we going to talk about this post-season? It's going to be unusually tranquil.

What say we just rip on the Vikings.
sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 10:34 am
@Gargamel,
Sounds good.

They so suck.

They're at the top of a crappy division -- big whoop.
Gargamel

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 09:36 am
@sozobe,
Well, as much as I hate to kick 'em while they're down...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
wandeljw

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 10:19 am
@Gargamel,
I left a message for Gus to look into what you guys are saying about his beloved Vikings. Smile

(By the way, farmerman is a Philadelphia Eagles fan.)
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 10:21 am
Gus doesn't want any of this.
0 Replies