Cheesehead Central

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 07:40 pm
Your mouth to Vince's ears, Child! That's been my dream scenario for a a couple weeks now!

Although the Vickless Falcons, who couldn't care less, damn near beat the Hawks today who needed a victory. Holmgren damn near coached them out of it. He did call QB sneak on the Seahawks final offensive play of the game, denying Alexander the 2 yards he needed for the Rushing Title. What a jerkoff.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 07:42 pm
I thought Alexander had like a 60 yard lead on Edge at the start of the day...Edge didn't even play. Who won it?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 08:08 pm
Curtis Martin... good for him when you think about it, but Holmgren's still a jerk. He called that QB sneak on a second and goal from the 1 Shocked... otherwise Alexander would have tied Martin. Dude's gotta be bummed.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 08:10 pm
I see that as a good deed though...Curtis Martin is one of the class guys in the league and he deserves it.

Alexander is a young man too, he'll be back there.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 08:25 pm
All props to Martin, but don't you think that'll slow my Holmgren bashing down none. I assure you he wasn't thinking about Martin. I know what it is... you're thinking when his a$$ finally gets canned for incompetence he's going to return to the forty ninies, so you don't want to pile on, right?
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 08:26 pm
I'm sure The Pack would much rather have him back. As for The Niners, we should have landed Dennis Green.

6-10 with the damn Cardinals. That is the work of a coaching God.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 08:39 pm
Pack want him back? Is our equipment boy leaving for college or something? Shocked

Denny's pretty good, and the Vikes should have kept him, but the bonehead call of the century was Tampa Bay letting Tony Dungy go. That was the definition of stupid.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 08:40 pm
Yeah, what did they get out of that bonehead move? Oh yeah, a Super Bowl win.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 08:46 pm
BS... Chucky my a$$. That was Dungy's team that won that Superbowl, they just screwed him out of a ring. I like Gruden fine, but he had little to do with that team going all the way. Give credit where it's due.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 08:47 pm
All The Bucs did under Dungy was underachieve. 10-6 every year with the exact same team. Then they always took an early exit in the playoffs.

And was it a coincidence that Brad Johnson had his best year under Chucky?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 09:12 pm
Keenan McCardell and more importantly, IMO, Joe Jurevicius made defenses do more than shut down Keyshawn Johnson and the run. Even so, that offense was nothing special, it was the defense that was as good as it gets. Dungy didn't have the personnel on offense Chucky did. One need only look at Indy to see he's not offensively challenged. What he does do is win. 10 and 6 is a wicked hard thing to accomplish year after year and he does that or better where ever he goes. He can coach my team any day.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 09:30 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
One need only look at Indy to see he's not offensively challenged.

Then all that work in Tampa was an aberration? He can't be responsible for both Indy's offense mastery and Tampa's defensive dominance.

Quote:
Keenan McCardell and more importantly, IMO, Joe Jurevicius made defenses do more than shut down Keyshawn Johnson and the run.

Yeah, those 2 are all world receivers right? Keyshawn has done wonders down in Dallas too huh?

Quote:
Dungy didn't have the personnel on offense Chucky did.

If I remember correctly, the only major difference was Warrick Dunn and Michael Pittman...and one could argue that's a downgrade.

Quote:
What he does do is win. 10 and 6 is a wicked hard thing to accomplish year after year and he does that or better where ever he goes.

Normally that is good, but not when you have Super Bowl talent, and Chucky proved that The Bucs had that.

Quote:
He can coach my team any day.

Agreed. But only if Chucky doesn't want the job.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 10:09 pm
All what work? The team peeked as he got there and has been sputtering downhill ever since. I just looked and McCardell, Pittman and Jurevicius rounded out the top 4 receivers after Keyshawn in that glorious year. Think TEAM, child. The year before Keyshawn caught over 100 footballs, btw (relatively few have ever done that) and there was no other receivers worthy of comment. Decent receivers pull the safeties into coverage, which in turn makes the running game work. I vividly recall Jurevicius moving the chains whenever we tried to stack the line on third and short. They didn't need to be "world class", just respectable enough to hold the safeties back away from a robust running game. Idea

The Superbowl talent that took them to the bowl, wasn't there before Chucky... and I repeat, Dungy's defense was the remarkable thing about that team. Johnson's numbers that year, weren't as good as Brett's were this year if that helps you get your head around it. And they went right back to mediocre from there.

Chucky can coach my Team too, Child, but not for the crazy price tag and team-crippling draft picks they paid for him... and still only if Dungy's not available. :wink:
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 10:32 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
All what work?

I was talking about Dungy's work in Tampa.

Keyshawn did catch 100 balls, but only 1 touch down. Catches are good, but touch downs win games.

I can't agree that the price for Chucky was too high...The end goal is always Super Bowl, and when Chucky coached the team, they won The Super Bowl.

Don't forget too, who The Bucs played that year. Chucky's other project he'd been working on.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 10:34 pm
Brad's QB rating that year was 92.9...Brett only surpassed that 3 times in his glorious(not sarcastic) career.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 07:19 pm
Occurs to me that the Child and I temporarily jacked this thread... sorry Soz. After the picture of the coolest fan there has ever been, I'll built a wormhole back to the time before our foolishness began! Good stuff there!

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3056962_7_1.jpg
Wormhole to Good Stuff!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 08:20 pm
Ha! I gotta get me one of them cheesebras.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 10:10 pm
I'm the first one here, huh?

First, thanks to Gus for not saying anything horrible and violence-inducing.

Second -- WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!

It's never pleasant when the Packers lose, but if it was a good game, the other team was just better, everyone played their hearts out and did their best... you know. The Packers just totally sucked today.

They were decimated by injuries, yes, and to have Javon injured on top of everything else was heartbreaking. But they just weren't mentally there. Thinking ahead to the next game or something. What the HELL was Brett doing with that stupid high school flip when he could've slid for a first down and made it first and goal? Ain't funny when it's the playoffs. That could've been a touchdown so easily, and then they're one TD behind with plenty of time left.

Whatever Holmgren's strengths and weaknesses, I think he's been the best at actually handling Brett -- getting his head where it's supposed to be. Brett's one of those people who says he wants more freedom and doesn't like blahbedy blah but once he gets more freedom he doesn't know what to do with it. He needs to have someone he's scared of and doesn't actually like very much to get his act together consistently.

So much talent, too much flakiness.

Argh!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 10:50 pm
First two interceptions were blown routes... not Brett's fault. Flip was on forth down... I'm surprised he didn't lower a shoulder and try to pound thru... but he was contained (and sliding wasn't an option). Injuries suck, but mostly we lost because Minnesota outplayed us. That was probably their best defensive game this year. Holmgren lost his 6th straight playoff game for a share of the record... I don't miss him.

I think it's time someone copy the Colts system. Manning gets 3 plays each down and decides at the line once he sees the defense. That makes sense. Brett's been saddled with fools who want to run to set up the pass his whole career... which is the reason we're always playing catch up. I'd take Martz before Holmgrown in a heartbeat.

Good luck to Minnesota. Time to go back to being bummed. :sad: Sorry Soz... (((( Sozobe ))))
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 11:09 pm
There's a hardcore Packer Bar nearby - everything is green-and-gold, player and game memorabilia all over, the bartenders wear GB jersies, the place is named "The G Spot", about 8 TVs, "Party Nights" with food and drink specials every Greenbay game. They've got 2 old schoolbusses - painted in Packers colors and splashed all over with Packer logos - which make fan trips to nearby (Minneapolis, Wisconsin, and Chicago) Packer games and events, as well as to nearby Badger games. I'll grab some pics of the place next time I'm there and post 'em here.

Be patient, though ... figure they deserve a little time to grieve. They'll prolly be liveable to be around by time for this Friday's fish fry - mebbe we'll head there for dinner that night.

And, yeah, Favre blew it, The Pack played stupid, and there's always next year. Gotta wunner - how do ya think Da Coach

http://www.sportsfanfare.net/images/large/WM2-024S.JPG
woulda dealt with Favre ... I suspect the boy woulda growed up somewhat different. If he'd lived.
0 Replies