Is truth subjective or objective?

JLNobody

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 12:12 pm
That's been MY argument, C.I.--in the Objective Knowledge thread.
BTW, so are beauty and ugliness.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 12:18 pm
All inclusive. Smile
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 03:15 pm
is truth subjective or objective? what a bloody stupid question.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 05:53 pm
Steve, I agree in the sense that I think it is a wrong-headed question. What reason do YOU have for considering it stupid?
0 Replies

jezippolito

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 10:12 pm
@val,
Hey there, 'I believe, I believe, I believe' etc... 'Truth' just has to come from within, and it's even, yes, wait for it, perhaps 'ontologically real', aye! Well that's what I ignorantly hold to be sweet and true at least. Maybe it's ehm, basically the absence of a lie; or, it's Jesus Christ perhaps; or, is it the Christ child inside the 'kingdom of heaven within'? Truth is truth, and it is externally manifested in a kind of quasi physical manner, given life and expression, from a source which originates at the spirit level of a human being. Let there be life and etc, you know; oh well here we go, into the realms of the unreal...
JLNobody

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 10:25 pm
@jezippolito,
You say "truth is truth". I say it is a word, and ask what is it pointing to in the world of experiences.
0 Replies

burtonrichard

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 07:30 am
@Bella Dea,
Really? We cannot change the nature of objective truths no matter how differently we percieve. 2 plus 2 will always be 4.
burtonrichard

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 07:40 am
@Taliesin181,
I think this post may help in making this less....murky

http://forums.philosophyforums.com/threads/the-nature-of-argument-what-can-be-argued-what-cant-what-makes-sense-56774.html
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 10:15 am
@burtonrichard,
I would say that we cannot change the nature of objective reality despite our perceptions, values and interests. It is what it is. But I also say that its nature is problematical, and that is what science and philosophy are about: the constructions of truth propositions about the nature of reality. I think your proposition about the nature of objective truths is a truth proposition about the nature of reality, not about the nature of truth.
By the way, here's another truth proposition: 4 is another way of saying 2+2.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 10:21 am
@JLNobody,
You're on the right path, JLN. I think most people have difficulty with this subject because of subjective thinking, and not with logic.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 11:32 am
Is truth subjective or objective?

Yes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 12:13 pm
@Steve 41oo,
Hi Steve. Good to see you around.
fresco

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 01:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
(Steve's post is dated 2007 !)
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 02:49 pm
I am sure I earlier posted a variation of a thought that goes:

It is impossible for truth not to be objective, because even if it is subjective…then the objective truth is that it is subjective. In the end, it always comes back to being objective, because what IS….IS.

I still feel that way.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 02:49 pm
@fresco,
eeeghads! Thanks for that! I didn't bother to read the date of his post.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 03:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You did.... and it's still as tautologically vacuous !

Quote:
According to the dictum “meaning is use,” what makes it correct to call a statement “true” is not its correspondence with how things are, but our criterion for determining its truth. What it means for us to call a statement “true” is that we currently judge it true, knowing that we may some day revise the criteria whereby we do so.
spendius

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 03:58 pm
@fresco,
Is it tautologically vacuous to say tautologically vacuous?

Is it tautologically vacuous to say that everything in this line is subjective because the subject can't get out of himself?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 05:00 pm
@fresco,
Yeah...in your world..."what IS...IS" makes no sense.

That is why I am sticking with this world.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 11:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That's nice, don't fight.
I once quoted John Searle saying something like everything is subjective, and that's an objective fact.
Would we be better off without the dualism of objective vs. subjective?
fresco

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 01:10 am
@JLNobody,
Second generation cognitive science now approaches "perception" as a function of physiological and cultural factors. It has rejected "an external reality" as having been an expensive cul-de-sac for cognitive research.

A microcosm for this research has been color perception which from the time of "four colors of the rainbow" has been a source of speculation about the rhetorical question " do you see what I see ?". It turns out that physical measurements of light such as "wavelength" or biological studies of the retina, are insufficient to account for color perception. The situation mirrors that in particle physics in which "data" depend on what contextual question is being asked(ref: complementarity) involving transcendence of traditional dichotomies.

0 Replies