How many different types of animals have you eaten?

colorbook

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:44 am
Gus, you forgot to give everyone your recipe for road-kill chili.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:47 am
Gus once shared it with me, but I only remember the first step as he was too busy with the capybaras to write it down. It started with: "First run over some rabbits..."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:16 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
msolga, in response to Ratzenhofer's query about cat-eating wrote:
Watch it, mate!

I knew that would flush you out, msolga

Haha ... It worked like a charm! Very predictable, aren't I?

It's nice to have you back, Gus. You seem reinvigorated! Very Happy Whatcha been up to, then?
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:30 am
ostrich, 'gator, horse, and your usual run of the mill stuff, not really that exciting.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 08:25 am
Fancy guinea pig for lunch?

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/10/25/26RODENT_ent-lead__200x268.jpg

It's cute and cuddly, it's fried or stewed
October 26, 2004

They may be pets but they're also a delicacy, write Roya Nikkhah and Zachary Abraham from London.

To most people they are loveable pets, but guinea pigs could soon be on the menu at British restaurants after the development of a "superpig" designed to offer diners a nutritious low-fat meal.

The new "Raza Peru" variety has been bred by scientists in Lima, who say that it contains more protein and less cholesterol than beef, pork, lamb or chicken. The animal has already been sent for consumption to America, Spain and Japan, and exporters say they are ready to market it in Britain if there is sufficient demand.

.."I think that if people could become more familiar with the guinea pig cuisine, they might be tempted to try it," she said. "It is really delicious and tastes similar to rabbit."

Guinea pigs are already a staple food for Peruvians, who consume about 65 million each year, often fried or chargrilled and eaten with rice, potatoes and salad.

... "There are many delicious ways of serving guinea pig, such as fried in a peanut sauce or a guinea pig stew, in which the meat is marinated in beer before being cooked.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/10/25/1098667688093.html
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:26 am
Quote:
The animal has already been sent for consumption to America...

If it has, they're not calling it guinea pig on the menus around here!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:34 am
I wonder what acceptable name they would call it?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:01 am
msolga wrote:
I wonder what acceptable name they would call it?

Perhaps "Freedom Pig". I don't think Guinea is supporting the US effort in Iraq.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 05:48 pm
Very good, fbaezer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahaha!!!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:57 pm
Aaccccckkkkk.. I first saw guinea pigs when I was a bacteriology student a long time ago. The class had a field day that took in Olive View Sanitarium (now I think Memorial Hospital). We saw the buildings with vast stretches of guinea pigs in - if I remember right - about foot high cages, sans tops. They were used for tuberculosis testing. A shocker, as I immediately liked them all, and was also aware of the debility of tb; I'd had three relatives die from it not all that long before. Shortly after that, tb went away for a while. Decades later, it is newly revisited in antibiotic resistant forms.

Six or seven years after my first intro to guinea pigs, we had a few (3 or 4...) in our immunology lab facility. I don't remember that any of them were ever 'sacrificed', but I might not have been told, or repressed it. On the other hand, we didn't have many. We used them to get antibodies to immunoglobulins, in order to test for immunoglobulins in humans. (some people are missing various ones...). This was before such tests were widely available to test people's immune systems. I was involved in some of the early clinical labs on that, as a tech, with a lot of bright people above me.

Anyway, some of us got attached and made pals of the guinea pigs. (I know this would make me a dead dodo tech now re procedures, but it didn't keep them from providing antiserum.) I carried one around in my lab coat pocket once in a while, he was quite the cuddly piggy. Thus... I learned that I was, or caused myself to be, incredibly allergic.

Those were the days. We had some rabbits to make antisera as well. After we took blood samples and had the sera, what to do with the bunnies... as they weren't diseased at all and we didn't want to just knock them off.

So I called a friend, who said she'd love a bunny...

Little did she expect this gigantic rabbit (+ cage)...at her apartment. I laugh even now.

Well, she found him a home at another friend's with some acreage... and ability to concoct an appropriate hutch.

So, weird, I have eaten rabbit.... but (sorry Dlowan) shudder re guinea pig. They're little champs..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 08:03 pm
"So I called a friend, who said she'd love a bunny...

Little did she expect this gigantic rabbit (+ cage)...at her apartment. I laugh even now.

Well, she found him a home at another friend's with some acreage... and ability to concoct an appropriate hutch
."

Good for you, osso! Very Happy And he lived happily ever after?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 08:08 pm
I am shocked that msolga is such a lover of cats, a love so fierce that she will kick the crap out of anyone who makes a negative feline comment, yet she will, without hesitation, pick up a fork and knife and begin to consume one of these creatures....

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/10/25/26RODENT_ent-lead__200x268.jpg

I am shocked, and yes, even a little disappointed in my Australian friend's barbaric behavior.

What next, msolga? Snorting canaries?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 08:17 pm
Laughing

I hate to disappoint, Gus, but I haven't tried guinea pig cuisine (or "Freedom Pig) & doubt I will. Cute little devils aren't they? Very Happy
Actually, I was vego for 15 or so years .... For one reason or another resumed my carnivorous habits a few years ago ... Still a wee bit squeamish about red meat, though.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 08:18 pm
Snorting canaries? nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:12 pm
Msolga, happily for a while, as I heard it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:16 pm
Oh, that's nice, osso! Very Happy (I won't ask what happened AFTER "a while"!)
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:26 pm
I guess I'm the only one here who has eaten alligator (or at least none of you have mentioned it yet). I haven't eaten much, though.

I ate a live grasshopper once...but that doesn't really count because I was drunk.

Now my dad on the other hand...would certainly take the cake.

Off the top of my head I know he has eaten spider eggs, mice, rats, squirrels, ants, bees, maggots...but I guess when you grow up hunting for your own food this isn't such a big deal.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:42 pm
Stuh, tell us more, if it isn't too obnoxiously prying, about your dad...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:58 pm
Hey I have tried Alligator.
One should never have friends from Louisiana - they
cook everything and tell you only afterwards what's
in it.

It tasted like squid though, not too bad, a bit guey - nothing
for denture lovers.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 12:39 pm
I've eaten alligator, too.
Donkey.
Fried agave worms.
Butterflies (good in a salad)
Armadillo (but, yuck, I found out later that they eat rats)
0 Replies