How many different types of animals have you eaten?

paulaj

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 06:19 pm
Gus, I did a quick search on Thoreau and below was the first paragraph about him, the funny part is I live in Haverhill, Ma.

"I can open Thoreau anywhere and read over and over a single sentence, about the road between Haverhill and Penacook, or how oak seedlings are best found in a pine wood, and in that sentence is the fragrance of a life lived." - Mike Price
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:14 am
paulaj my great grandmother is buried somewhere in Haverhill.....

meanwhile, back on topic....I have eaten cow, lamb, snake, squirrel, frog, chicken....and of course I recommend that everyone on these threads eat bear at least once.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:53 am
"If God did not intend for us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:21 am
Vegetables are what food eats.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:34 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
paulaj my great grandmother is buried somewhere in Haverhill.....

meanwhile, back on topic....I have eaten cow, lamb, snake, squirrel, frog, chicken....and of course I recommend that everyone on these threads eat bear at least once.

bear have you ate crow? Embarrassed
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:42 pm
I love a woman who is Thoreau, whether they can read or not. I suppose the most Zen animals I ever ate were dust mites, as I didn't even have to think about it. It all seemed like dining in an incredible dream.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:02 pm
My signature says today Pumas 3, América 0.
This means that an Americanista paid my dinner last Wednesday.
I had to go for the best of the best in food and drink,
Among other delicacies, I ordered escamoles, ant's eggs. Expensive, too:

http://www.el-parador.com.mx/escamoles01.jpg
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:06 pm
Ooh, I've heard of escamoles...tell us more...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:46 pm
Do women count?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 03:51 pm
Escamoles are "harvested" by hand in the black ant hole. After colecting the escamoles, they have to be cleaned, so no live ant is among them.

Butter Escamoles
1 Portion
• 2 spoons butter
• 2 leaves of epazote
• 60 grams escamoles
• 2 thin slices of onion
• salt
You heat the butter on a pan. Add the escamoles until they pop, add the chopped onion, salt and epazote.
The plate is served with a portion of guacamole, and tortilla chips.

Of course, we could change the subject, and go into grasshoppers dipped in bitter chocolate sauce... yummy (though I personally prefer my grasshoppers with salt and chile).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 04:01 pm
I can imagine that insects in general aren't really much different than fried smelts. Just crispy protein goodness. Sadly, epazote is not that readily availible here fresh. Well, neither are escamoles, at all.

Of course, I still couldn't resist a joke. One never wants live ants infesting their black hole.

Feel free to talk grashoppers.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 04:31 pm
Grasshoppers as a spicy snack:

First you must wash them throughly, put them in water with lime for 8 hours. You rinse them again, and fry them in a little oil for 10 minutes. Add salt, lemon and blended chile.

http://www.mexiko-travelnews.de/landundleute/essenundtrinken/img/heuschrecken.jpg

Grasshoppers as a dessert:

Wash the grasshoppers as on the other recipe. Take away the legs. Grill them. for 10 minutes.
On an aside, stir bitter chocolate in "baño maría" (a small saucepan inside a bigger saucepan with boiling water).
Cover each grasshopper with a spoon of chocolate.
Put on the fridge.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 05:16 pm
fbaezer, maybe you and I could start a business with grasshoppers. I have plenty of grasshoppers around the swamp and you seem to have the culinary knowledge.

Hey! How about grasshopper cereal?

I can see it now. A portly woman walks down the aisles of the grocery store. Suddenly she spots what she's been looking for...

Fbaezer and Ratzenhofer Grasshopper Crunch

I see potential here.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 06:21 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
fbaezer, maybe you and I could start a business with grasshoppers. I have plenty of grasshoppers around the swamp and you seem to have the culinary knowledge.

Hey! How about grasshopper cereal?

I can see it now. A portly woman walks down the aisles of the grocery store. Suddenly she spots what she's been looking for...

Fbaezer and Ratzenhofer Grasshopper Crunch

I see potential here.

Grasshoppers have a lot more protein per gram than meat.

The F-R Grasshopper Crunch would help a lot of body builders.

Since you have the swamp, we'd have no trouble with trade protectionists, but I'm afraid but we'd have the FDA against us, Gustav.

The estimated number of insects on earth is 10 quintillion (10,000,000,000,000,000,000), and although insects are the dominant life form on our planet, there's no denying the fact that we're at the top of the food chain.
Imagine a soylent green tablet of compressed insect protein. On a percentage basis, dried insects have triple the protein content of mammals and birds, and a much higher vitamin and mineral content. It takes 10 times as much food to raise a pound of cattle as it does a pound of caterpillars (and a lot more time and space); you could literally raise most of your nutritional needs in an area the size of a kitchen cupboard.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:09 pm
And where could one buy a pound of grasshoppers?

I've been to Asia and I'm sure I've eaten plenty of
stuff that wasn't kosher, but as long as I don't know
what it is and it tastes good, why not. You always
can wash it down with a Tequila.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:11 pm
How about a moth cereal? I can certainly produce that! Do you think that would fly off the shelves?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:20 pm
I think that's an ingredient already present in most
cereals dagmaraka.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 03:26 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Has anyone mentioned cat yet?

Watch it, mate! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:16 am
CalamityJane wrote:
And where could one buy a pound of grasshoppers?

I've been to Asia and I'm sure I've eaten plenty of
stuff that wasn't kosher, but as long as I don't know
what it is and it tastes good, why not. You always
can wash it down with a Tequila.

Interestingly enough, according to the Talmud, grasshoppers and locusts are indeed kosher.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:15 am
msolga, in response to Ratzenhofer's query about cat-eating wrote:
Watch it, mate!

I knew that would flush you out, msolga
0 Replies