are as though and as if superfluous?

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 08:23 am
I feel (that) I could fly.

I feel as if I could fly.

Isnt the as if implicit in the meaning of feel?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,192 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 11:30 am
@perennialloner,
Sure Peren I'd say so
perennialloner

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 12:50 pm
@dalehileman,
Okay. Thank you, Dale.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 02:40 pm
@perennialloner,
Quite welcome, Peren
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2017 04:18 am
@perennialloner,
It is superfluous, but you're mixing up tenses. Use either I feel I can fly, or I felt I could fly.
centrox

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2017 04:36 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It is superfluous, but you're mixing up tenses. Use either I feel I can fly, or I felt I could fly.

I think 'could' is the conditional. I feel (now, present) that I could fly (if I tried). This is good acid. What do you mean, keep away from the edge?

izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2017 04:44 am
@centrox,
I did have doubts after I posted it, but then I was on my way to the supermarket.

Btw, when I was 17 I knew someone who was convinced that acid and LSD were two separate hallucinogens.
centrox

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2017 05:59 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I did have doubts after I posted it, but then I was on my way to the supermarket.

Btw, when I was 17 I knew someone who was convinced that acid and LSD were two separate hallucinogens.

I met more than one of these. One told me he preferred acid to LSD because the latter gave him bad trips. I also knew someone (when I was 17) who thought that "tripping" was what happened after you smoked a joint. I found out why he thought that when I heard that he had been got down by the fire brigade, naked, from the roof of his house from where he had been loudly declaring that he was the "World Emperor", and also hurling bricks at people in the street. All this after one joint. He was sectioned, poor fellow, having been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. Some people shouldn't mess with mind-altering drugs.I sometimes think, nearly 50 years later, it's a miracle I have any brain cells left.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2017 07:40 am
@centrox,
On the other hand I knew a builder who took it once a week for years. He wasn't exactly orthodox, but other than that appeared quite sane and rational during the week. I put it down to a lack of imagination, because despite all his tripping he was a dull conversationalist, not a yabbery sort like some acid casualties, just dull.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 08:29 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
but you're mixing up tenses. Use either I feel I can fly, or I felt I could fly.

Do not listen to Izzy on language issues.
perennialloner

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 09:28 pm
@camlok,
Everyone makes mistakes sometimes. Please don't be mean.
camlok

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 10:55 pm
@perennialloner,
It's not a question of being mean. Izzy has absolutely no business offering advice on the English language.

Quote:
Izzy: but you're mixing up tenses. Use either I feel I can fly, or I felt I could fly.

He doesn't have the slightest idea why he is wrong and he didn't make any attempts to correct his errors. That would have been the honest approach. Something else that he also does not have within his being.
0 Replies