Ecology and the Rainforest - Preservation or Destruction?

HofT

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 08:58 am
Hi guys. This pic (purportedly taken on the 48th parallel) and caption are actually from The Onion but unfortunately somewhat on the mark:

http://www.theonion.com/images/410/image_article2653_160x113.jpg
Nation's Wildlife Fleeing To Canada

Speaking of Canada, for those not on the Yahoo Group set up by Anon: I sent a floral arrangement to Anita at the hospital with message "Get Well Soon" signed "Helen, Anon, and the Online Group" which of course includes everyone here. It will be delivered today.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 09:01 am
I was traveling with my sheepskin?? Very Happy I don't remember~ But I remember ehBeth's doglets -- endearingly sweet, very well-behaved and uncanny in their ability to understand words, even without a Canadian accent. A darling pair.

Thirteenth-century Chinese music? Hmmm. On the Taoist Depot website there is some music I like, but I don't know what era it's from.

Click.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 09:53 am
Matrix, lol ~

The pic was taken at my moms house. Since moving to the Sierra's, I've not seen smaller critters that were not afraid visiting bay area folks.
The animals pretty much stay hidden because of prey animals (coyotes) critters forage for food during daylight hours.

Love the links! Doggies looking very comfortable and happy.

Working today, will check in this afternoon

clicked
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 04:03 pm
Helen, thanks for sending beautiful flowers in care of abuzz group.

Very thoughtful of you and ehBeth, and I'm sure anita will be both surprised and happy with her lovely gifts. ehBeth, thanks for good info regarding sumac. Glad to hear she's well. Smile

Matrix, the sentence probably need a bit of explaining. Where my mom's house located, wildlife abundant - critters don't seem the least bit afraid of visiting residences. When I lived in Martinez, I kept food outdoors for all the critters especially the poor stray cats. Since moving to the Sierra's smaller critters stay in the safety of the forest during the evening hours, and larger animals - deer, coyotes, badgers, wild turkey, eagles and hawks visible during the day. Occasionally there are stray cats - the neighbors pretty good about caring for them and/or finding good homes for the animals.

Just a reminder for everyone. I know you all have dearly loved companion animals. If anyone you know considering adopting a companion dog or cat, please remind them of the tens of thousands of Shelter animals waiting for good, adoptive, permanent homes. Thanks
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 04:28 pm
Matrix, was so worried about poor shelter animals today, forgot mentioning the wildlife pics <except for Pepe and his mom munching food on the patio> were sent to me by Helen ~ sent to her by c.i.! They were just to adorable not to post on a photo webpage.

My daughter luved the photos also and copied them to her computer Smile
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 06:26 pm
I just found this thread and wanted to alert all the Wildclickers to it - it was posted by Husker's son:

Quote:
Husker in Hospital
my dad went to the hospital tonight - really sick - he was feeling great the all of a sudden he got a terrible fever - he wanted you to know he might be missing

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38840&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 06:47 pm
HofT...

Although I'm a loyal "blue state liver-inner" I can truly appreciate the humor in the picture you posted. This article was posted at one of the local Seattle news station links yesterday:

Many Americans Thinking Of Making A Run For The Border
http://www.komotv.com/stories/33960.htm

Thank you for including all of us (both groups) when sending flowers and a card to Anita. She's been such a dear friend. I hate that she's so sick.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 08:14 pm
Stradee...

Alrighty, then. Thank you Helen and c.i. for the picture of Pepe and his lovely Stinky. Looks like the date went well. Laughing How anything can be so adorable and smell so bad at the same time is beyond me!

The skunk that kind of liked to hand around when my husband was working in the garage with the door open during the summer months hasn't been around for quite a while...I think she maybe found someone else...such a shame. :wink: At least she liked him and never sprayed him!

Speaking of skunks...Do any of you ever watch that show Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel? They did an entire segment of the show (about 30 minutes) on how to remove skunk stink from your person and your home. It was hilarious! They had to bring in several skunks before they found one that would even spray them. I'll see if I can find the show title...

Episode 16: : Ancient Death Ray, Skunk Cleaning, What Is Bulletproof?
premiere: Sept. 29, 2004
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 09:17 pm
Matrix, LOL

I took the photo of whom I loveingly refer to as Pepe and his mom <why photo taken from a safe distance>

They were really cute, and surprisingly never showed the least bit of worry of my presence except once when I stepped outside the patio door not noticing they were at the food dish. They scrambled toward the planter, stopped, then aimed thier hineys toward me!

My reaction was to say in a soft voice "You do not turn your butts toward the person supplying the food"! then i gingerly walked past the pair and dove for the solarium door! eek

I recall your hilarious account of the visiting skunk <related last summer at an Abuzz rainforest thread > and you're having to keep all the house windows security closed for warding off critter odors during a summer heat wave! Those critters sure have a way of announcing thier arrival though - thank God.

Do you not luv Mythbusters? There was a segment about people using their cell phones when pumping fuel at gas stations - about the possibility of detonating an entire city block if the damned cell phone rang!

After calling the local fire department and bomb squad, they placed a cell phone in a 10 foot thick NASA material type container, <not before flooding the booth with gasolene> then called the cell phone! Matrix, I was laughing through the entire program, and when the booth didn't explode - the expressions on the faces of the crew and Mythbusters
hosts priceless. Smile
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 09:47 pm
Stradee said...
Quote:
Matrix, was so worried about poor shelter animals today, forgot mentioning the wildlife pics <except for Pepe and his mom munching food on the patio> were sent to me by Helen...

Yup. I missed that. Funny, too, because I seemed to remember you telling us about that happening once, but I'll just blame my goof on all of the distractions I've had today. Yeah, that'll work... :wink:
I love their big-little tails. They're cute all fluffed up when you see them from that angle.

Re the windows needing to be closed during the evenings here for skunk odor protection - have to do it every year. At least now know (after some research) that when the little skunks start leaving the nest in the spring, they still don't really have the stink button thing figured out all the way and they tend to misfire a lot. Sometimes, an awful lot. The worst is when either a momma skunk feels threatened by a dog in the neighborhood (and, of course the dog won't relent) or if there are two males who are either trying to claim territory or a female for themselves. Oooof...makes me shudder to think about it!

I did see that episode with the cell phone on Mythbusters. Can you imagine what those two guys must have put their parents through when they were growing up??? Rolling Eyes That's a show I try not to miss.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 11:08 pm
You and your 282 friends have supported 1,616,503.9 square feet!

Matrix, thanks for the heads up about Husker. I'll light a candle for him tonight before we go to bed. I went to a baroque performance of Mozart's Don Giovanni tonight. Amazing. It is nice to be home and back into comfy clothes though.

I love that snuggle bag! Bailey would go mad for it, he likes to snuggle into things. I managed to snag 4 of the sheepskins at Ikea. 2 to use here, and 2 to put in the car for trips to the Hamburgers. Piff - you had a sheepskin with you, at the foot of the your bed in the Catskills. I thought Bailey was going to run away with you. Very Happy

I went really early - had the $1 breakfast at Ikea AND scored big in the As-Is section. Score!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 11:23 pm
Wow. So much happening. Gee, I hope Husker is going to be OK. I don't know AnitaB, but am glad that flowers were sent. Seems like the right thing to do when someone is in hospital.

Skunks? Mythbusters? Never heard of it -- should I be watching more TV?

Ahhh Beth -- that sheepskin belonged to Ginny. She knew I liked them, and being the incredible hostess she is, she put it on the bed I slept in. I'm glad Bailey thought it was mine though... heehee... maybe he'll still love me next time.

Nothing like a good As-Is shopping trip. I think IKEA may be my favorite store... especially since I've learned about their environmentally conscious efforts in all phases of their business. They're good community members.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 11:53 pm
ehBeth...

It sounds like you had quite a day. Congrats on the excellent shopping excursion! It's nice when everything falls into place - or into your cart - like that, isn't it? Smile The doggies should be verrry happy!

The concert sounds like it was a nice way to end your day, too..

Piffka...

You've never heard of Mythbusters??? Well, we'll have to fix that! Laughing Here's a link to the show's homepage. The guys have worked on movie sets and commercials for years...you'd be surprised to hear the things they're responsible for. It's a fun show.
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/mythbusters.html
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 08:27 am
I have never heard of Mythbusters but I think some others in the family watch it, now that I've seen the website (thanks, Matrix). I'll look for it.

Have a great day, everyone.

-- click
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 09:26 am
awake and clicking again.

piff, Bailey and Cleo love you and Ginny cuz of who you are. The sheepskin just took Bailey's passion for you over the edge.

I haven't 'told' the dogs yet that they're going to be seeing Ginny and Val again in about a month - and meeting Jesusgirl at the same time. Bailey can always tell that I've seen people he likes without him - and pouts - so he's going to go mad when he gets to wriggle all around Ginny again. I'm hoping it won't be too cold for us all to get down to the beach for a walk.

off to finish clicking so I can grab the team results
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 09:37 am
You and your 282 friends have supported 1,616,808.2 square feet!
Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 48,735.4 square feet.
You have supported: (32,847.4)
Your 282 friends have supported: (15,888.0)

American Prairie habitat supported: 31,784.9 square feet.
You have supported: (9,082.7)
Your 282 friends have supported: (22,702.2)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,536,288.0 square feet.
You have supported: (157,609.2)
Your 282 friends have supported: (1,378,678.8)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 10:26 am
Sounds like fun, Beth. I miss Val and have never met JG, either. I saw Ginny in Virginia. <heh>
0 Replies

wordworker

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:09 am
Creaky click--Hi to all.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 01:43 pm
Good to see you, wordworker!

Heard about the Virginia trip when Ginny was here in September, piffka. I sure like this small world. Very Happy
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 04:07 pm
Hi, everyone...

Hope you're having a great weekend! Still need to go do my clicking but wanted to drop in and say hi.

wordworker...

It's great to see you again! Had wondered where you went to.

Piffka...

The show's great! Not in a serious way, of course, but if they taught science classes like that in school, they'd have a heck of a time keeping the kids away from them! Laughing

ehBeth...

Thanks for the stats. It's always nice to see how far we've come as a team. We're pretty amazing, huh? Very Happy
0 Replies