Ecology and the Rainforest - Preservation or Destruction?

danon5

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 07:09 pm
My goodness omni,
Thanks for the link!! I had forgotten about that one after my last "crash 'n burn" (computer awhile ago) big grin...... I had to rebuild my Favorites list. Since, I've printed it out on a regular basis.

I really liked your 7:14 pm post. A very good reminder of how the current administration is attempting to take advantage of our land.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:07 pm
Well thank ye Dan ~ but if you're referring to the Smithsonian link, Matrix
posted the link and I quoted Matrix. Is that the link you're talking about?

oh, forgot mentioning in my post to Helen - the Superfund was not included in any of the appropriation spending bills. The consequences are that communities have the sole responsibility for removing toxic
waste left by industry. Also, the same communites cannot file legal suit against gross polluters.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:52 pm
Yup... the administration doesn't have much respect for the environment.

Just got an interesting note from a friend about the 28 words to add to Corporate Rules. IKEA woke up a few years ago, but most corporations have all the "rights" of citizens but claim the can ignore environmental concerns because their primary responsibility is to the profit-motive of their shareholders.

The 28 words are explained here and are the following sentence to be added to corporate law (at the state level):

"The pursuit of profits must not come at the expense of the
environment, human rights, public health and safety, the dignity of
employees or the welfare of communities".
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 09:12 pm
Well, that pretty well covers it - right?

Uh, well, it pretty well excludes Silverado and that billion dollars we had to pay.

And, Uh, well, it pretty well excludes the Florida Medicare scam and the billion dollars we had to pay because of the other son.

Damn, when will we learn?
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:20 pm
Then you guys are gonna luv the new Corporate Tax Bill intended as a legislative replacement for a $5 billion illegal export tax break, instead became a 140 billion dollar corporate pork bill stuffed with hundreds of unrelated giveaways and payoffs. The bill will give tax breaks to manufacturning companies, but surprise - the energy companies have been renamed "manufactured goods"! Halliburton makes another few billion dollars. btw Cheney's company doesn't have to pay back the over 14 million dollars discovered missing after the pentagon audit.

A criminal administration loansharking the American taxpayer.
0 Replies

wordworker

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 01:23 am
So many cuties to look at. Stradee's tigers and Patty's 'girls'-Awww +.

Aa, glad to know your are clicking & watching-but gee---Cantcha come out and play???

Matrix--So sorry the saga continues. I do think Stradee's "bowl of cat water" treatment is superb. I hope it didn't hurt the bowl. I *had* a saga once. In mine, the money went to the Caymans and the accountant went to prison. It was not a happy story-------- and it did pass. Oh, yes...it did involve relatives and a trust. I *almost forgot* to mention that part. Hang in.
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 05:01 am
Good morning all. Thanks for the new thread, Danon.
I'll be clicking but not talking for the next few days. My Byzantine talks start tomorrow and I'm still getting slides and handouts organized. Then this week I'm starting two writing courses (which will NEVER teach me to spell - right Aa?) and then there is Nov 2 on the too close horizon. I CANNOT download phone numbers to call and it is frustrating.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 07:40 am
g'day all ~

pwayfarer, wow ~ sounds like you'll be a busy lady for the next few weeks! Good luck with your talks and calls Very Happy

woodworker, if anyone asked me again to be executor of an estate i'd gracefully decline then run like heck! Aw geeze, the Caymans???

Matrix, ditto on the 'hanging in there'! Sending good thoughts

all clicked ~ have a good Sunday everyone
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 07:58 am
Well, I haven't clicked yet, but will, and thanks for finding me, Ftradee.

Fabulous discussion, photos, links, and postings in general here.

Hiya, Piffka, Aa, pwayfarer, and all others I haven't seen/spoken to recently.

Time for me to beam up an avatar and change my signature. Loved the Parker one Piffka. I had been thinking of using another one of her's myself.

s
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 08:00 am
Oops, I do have an avatar here. It is on SB that I am empty. Signature quote still needs changing though. In a cat's water bowl - good for you!!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 09:18 am
aktbird57 - You and your 282 friends have supported 1,584,895.6 square feet!

oy! lads and lassies - can we please have a check-in of anyone who didn't get an email from aktbird/a thomson/beth giving the link to this thread. I sent a note from inside the account to all of the clickers directly registered to the aktbirds advising of the new thread.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 09:20 am
Clicked.

(Got email too.)
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 09:42 am
Hi all,
Thanks for the update ehBeth. That means we have clicked to save THIRTY-SIX and a third acres of rainforest. That's a great help.

Clicked...........
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 10:33 am
I didn't get the email. Clicked.
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 01:02 pm
I clicked and also received the email.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 02:46 pm
Got your e-mail, Beth. I've been traveling and away from a computer. Back to clicking.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 04:21 pm
ehBeth, luv the avatar! I didn't know you were a football fan?

<you are wearing a cheese hat arn't you >

Green Bay Packer fans are all cheering for ya Very Happy

well ya kinda do resemble a certain avatar :wink:

Hi Kara! Welcome to the new rainforest thread! Good seeing your posts again.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 04:43 pm
hehehehe

danon has been most helpful - turning the hat i'm wearing (in a pic littlek took - i think) into a block of cheese. i was hoping for blue cheese originally, but this is rawther pleasant. it's more about a love of Wisconsin cheese than a love of Wisconsin football though :wink:
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 06:08 pm
I've clicked but since I somehow never got into the real group, none of my clicking ever counts towards the team. Sad
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 06:16 pm
Don't worry.
I click, just to save part of the rainforest.
I don't belong to any teams, either.
0 Replies