The myth of the disenfranchised

Dookiestix

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 04:29 pm
CNN has leaned right MANY times, as mediamatters.org points out. MOST corporate media does not report honest news, with the amazing exception of John Stewart's the Daily Show.

Which is why most corporate media looks to the Daily Show to hopefully regain any integrity that they've lost over the years.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 04:30 pm
cannistershot wrote:
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:
How are they being "scared" into vtoing for Bush? I'm not dirt poor and will be voting for Bush. Please don't tell me that the media is doing it, I don't think that we have ever had a media be more left leaning in the history of the US.

Hee hee, that's hysterical. Laughing Laughing Laughing Try telling that to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, The Savage Nation, Ann Coulter, Faux news, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, John McLaughlin, Sinclair Broadcasting Group, etc., etc., etc)

If you are saying that CNN is right wing I have some ocean front real estate in Tennesee for sale.

Not too long ago on the Democratic Underground site some were arguing that NPR was majorly right wing. Laughing
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 04:31 pm
Brand X wrote:
cannistershot wrote:
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:
How are they being "scared" into vtoing for Bush? I'm not dirt poor and will be voting for Bush. Please don't tell me that the media is doing it, I don't think that we have ever had a media be more left leaning in the history of the US.

Hee hee, that's hysterical. Laughing Laughing Laughing Try telling that to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, The Savage Nation, Ann Coulter, Faux news, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, John McLaughlin, Sinclair Broadcasting Group, etc., etc., etc)

If you are saying that CNN is right wing I have some ocean front real estate in Tennesee for sale.

Not too long ago on the Democratic Underground site some were arguing that NPR was majorly right wing. Laughing

Pleazeee.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 04:35 pm
Quote:
Not too long ago on the Democratic Underground site some were arguing that NPR was majorly right wing.

Laughing
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 04:35 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Laughing

I see. When Republicans use scare tactics, it's legimate. When Democrats use it, they're scare tactics.

GOD that hysterical!!!

Lets look at the difference between what the 2 have been saying.

Bush-We are at war with terrorists who will stop at nothing to kill Americans. True statement, we saw that happen on 9/11 and it could happen again. To think it couldn't would be what is called a pre-9/11 mentality.

Kerry-There's going to be a draft if Bush stays in office. False statement. Bill started by a democrat and was even voted against by the same democrat.

I see a big difference between the 2 statements. One being a lie (Kerry and the Democrats) and one being true (Bush and the Republicans).
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 04:40 pm
Brand X wrote:
cannistershot wrote:
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:

Why does the NPR continue to be funded by taxpayer money? Everyone knows they are left wing. I guess it would be like pulling tax-free status from Jesse (con artist) Jackson. It would be seen as an evil tactic by the "right wing fascist govt".
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 04:42 pm
Because the people who paid into it expect that type of programming that the offer.

Why is it that Sinclair Broadcasting Group had to renige considerably on their programming smear campaign of John Kerry when their stockholders and advertisers began threatening them in a BIG way?

Wake up!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 04:44 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Brand X wrote:
cannistershot wrote:
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:

Why does the NPR continue to be funded by taxpayer money? Everyone knows they are left wing. I guess it would be like pulling tax-free status from Jesse (con artist) Jackson. It would be seen as an evil tactic by the "right wing fascist govt".

I think NPR puts enough broad appeal programming on to keep the heat off in that regard, plus they get a lot of private donations, example Mrs. Kroc of McDonalds restaurant fame gave NPR $200 million last year.

I like NPR and listen to it nearly every day.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 04:52 pm
Yeah, Brand, but Mrs. Kroc really likes them LOL!!! Wow!!
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 05:08 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Because the people who paid into it expect that type of programming that the offer.

Are you dense? NPR is public funded (read tax money from the govt) media. Sure they also get money from private donations but that still doesn't explain the tax money they receive.

Quote:
Why is it that Sinclair Broadcasting Group had to renige considerably on their programming smear campaign of John Kerry when their stockholders and advertisers began threatening them in a BIG way?

Wake up!

Because the hate free speech communist groups went after them and they caved. I don't respect them for it, but it happened. These so-called "civil rights groups" also threatened to boycott their sponsors (Jesse Jackson play book) who would have pulled advertising causing Sinclair to lose money.

I don't believe it was the stockholders who were threatening them, it was the fact that the stock was going down.

They should have aired it anyways and damn the hate mongers and the truth dodger (Kerry). If Kerry was proud of his post Vietnam service then he wouldn't have objected to what these people had to say. Kerry is an opportunist of the worst kind. His picture even hangs in the Communist Vietnam Museum of War Heroes.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:04 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Brand X wrote:
cannistershot wrote:
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:

I allow the liberals that work for me to listen to NPR during the day so that they will work, I now boycott every company that donates money to the shows on that network. It is as far to the left as my left finger tips!

0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:05 pm
Has anyone read Bob Barr's new book?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 07:20 am
cannistershot wrote:
revel wrote:
I think this election has made everyone sick of talking about it.

In the mornings I torture myself still further and listen to a supposed kerry supporter trash every single word that comes out of Kerry's mouth and say, "but you know I am kerry's guy."
That sounds like my kind of news, what channel is this. I only see liberal media (except Fox news)

Imus in the morning.

Anyway those are just my impressions and opinions I realize that those on the other side will see it all differently.

The poor as dirt remark has to do with Bush being so pro company instead of for the workers as more poorer are workers instead of company or however I should phrase it. You know trying to limit over time pay and not raising minimum wage and things like that.

Kerry's remark about the draft is really very simple. Those that are in the national gard did not sign up to serve for long stretches of time like the military yet they are made to serve the same or more than the military so they are what he calls back door draft and if bush stays in office we can expect more of the same. For that matter I am not sure what Kerry can really do about it now that we are in Iraq for the duration. That is not scare tactics that is simply the facts.

On the other hand, Bush and Cheney give the impression that a vote for Kerry is to invite the terrorist to bomb us again. Which is entirely different and a lot more sinister because if a terrorist does bomb us after Kerry is elected then people will think, "gee they were right."

Another thing they do is to say that if we vote for Kerry then we are going to be like Spain and give the terrorist what they want. It is those kinds of tactics that we mean we say scare tactics.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 07:39 am
Just remember: If you are unfairly kept from voting it doesn't mean you are disenfranchised. I'm certain you will be given a perfectly acceptable reason - like maybe you are black or some sort of Democrat. How to get around it: Tell them, "If you allow me to vote I promise to vote Nader." They will let you in and you can vote for Kerry anyway. Put a plastic hairpiece on and sew an NRA patch on your jacket before you go.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:02 am
Love it. Cannistershot really does not see how right of centre the American media is. Fascinating to watch from outside the U.S. This must be what is was like watching Germany.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:24 am
ehBeth wrote:
Love it. Cannistershot really does not see how right of centre the American media is. Fascinating to watch from outside the U.S. This must be what is was like watching Germany.

Thank you, ehBeth. A bit of reality is like a breath of fresh air. Although somehow, I suspect Cannister's sinuses are blocked!
0 Replies

Armyvet35

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:28 am
Kerry's remark about the draft is really very simple. **REVEL**

Those that are in the national guard did not sign up to serve for long stretches of time like the military yet they are made to serve the same or more than the military so they are what he calls back door draft and if bush stays in office we can expect more of the same. ****REVEL***

Certain MOS's in the military are actually critical, be it National Guard or not. When you sign on the dotted line you actually do know what you are up for. Back Door draft? NO. You signed up to do a job, you accept the benefits that come with it as well as the paycheck. You are actually bound to complete 8 years even if you sign up for 2. Mission FIRST always. IF for some reason you do not want to do that, its simple.... don't SIGN UP, DONT COLLECT THE PAYCHECKS, DONT ACCEPT THE COLLEGE MONEY, DONT ACCEPT THE BONUSES, AND DONT ACCEPT THE VA LOANS. Nothing is ever free, you got your money, benefits, home loans and now dont want to live up to your commitments. Back door draft isnt accurate in the least.

-----------------------------------------------------------
That is not scare tactics that is simply the facts
***REVEL***
It is indeed scare tactics and not fact based at all, go look at an enlistment contract sometime.

yet they are made to serve the same or more than the military ***REVEL***
LOL really Revel? The National Guard is made to serve more or longer than the active duty soldier? Have you been in the National Guard and Active Duty? I have and let me tell you the truth of that.
Active duty serves 365 days a year, at the beck and call 24 hours a day. 30 day FTX's, work days of 0500-1800, many weekends, many nights, 24 hour duties. National Guard Smile 2 weekends a month hours 0900-1600, and 2 weeks a year. 14 days normally in a fixed facility training center. They do that for years, get paid, get benefits, no overtime for free. Uniforms providedby their units. Now when called to duty they dont want to do what they promised...
The Active Duty on the other hand spends well over 500 a year out of pocket for uniform replacement and upkeep.

I dont know.... I may be wrong... I was only in the military 12 years..... Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 09:14 am
Armyvet35 wrote:
Kerry's remark about the draft is really very simple. **REVEL**

Those that are in the national guard did not sign up to serve for long stretches of time like the military yet they are made to serve the same or more than the military so they are what he calls back door draft and if bush stays in office we can expect more of the same. ****REVEL***

Certain MOS's in the military are actually critical, be it National Guard or not. When you sign on the dotted line you actually do know what you are up for. Back Door draft? NO. You signed up to do a job, you accept the benefits that come with it as well as the paycheck. You are actually bound to complete 8 years even if you sign up for 2. Mission FIRST always. IF for some reason you do not want to do that, its simple.... don't SIGN UP, DONT COLLECT THE PAYCHECKS, DONT ACCEPT THE COLLEGE MONEY, DONT ACCEPT THE BONUSES, AND DONT ACCEPT THE VA LOANS. Nothing is ever free, you got your money, benefits, home loans and now dont want to live up to your commitments. Back door draft isnt accurate in the least.

That is not scare tactics that is simply the facts
***REVEL***
It is indeed scare tactics and not fact based at all, go look at an enlistment contract sometime.

yet they are made to serve the same or more than the military ***REVEL***
LOL really Revel? The National Guard is made to serve more or longer than the active duty soldier? Have you been in the National Guard and Active Duty? I have and let me tell you the truth of that.
Active duty serves 365 days a year, at the beck and call 24 hours a day. 30 day FTX's, work days of 0500-1800, many weekends, many nights, 24 hour duties. National Guard Smile 2 weekends a month hours 0900-1600, and 2 weeks a year. 14 days normally in a fixed facility training center. They do that for years, get paid, get benefits, no overtime for free. Uniforms providedby their units. Now when called to duty they dont want to do what they promised...
The Active Duty on the other hand spends well over 500 a year out of pocket for uniform replacement and upkeep.

I dont know.... I may be wrong... I was only in the military 12 years..... Laughing Laughing

Yeah...you certainly have mentioned that often enough.

It's almost enough to make one mistakenly think it matters significantly in discussions of political issues....which, of course, conservative knee-jerkers have pointed out is not so.

And don't the "active duty" people still get clothing allowances?
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 04:39 pm
ehBeth wrote:

The only media organization that I see being RIGHT of center is Fox News, I agree that Hannity and other people are too BUT if you are talking about the "regular" media CNN, MSNBC, NBC,CBS,CNBC, every local station, and about 90% of newsprint then they are all as far left as can be. I think that some are trying to balance themselves but haven't made it yet. I watch Fox, but I will be the first to admit they are as right as can be (that has 2 meanings)
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 04:45 pm
[quote="Frank Apisa" ]It's almost enough to make one mistakenly think it matters significantly in discussions of political issues....which, of course, conservative knee-jerkers have pointed out is not so.[/quote]

When it is the likes of people on this board then yes-military experience is a matter of political issue. There are people on this board who have none, zero, nada military experience and think they have some sort of insist into the way it works. They have read on the Internet or talked to a few military personal and think they know something, but they are wrong. Even yourself who has been out of the military for almost 50 years doesn't know how the modern military works. Times have changed as well as the military. The military as you knew it doesn't exist anymore and some times that is for the good and bad of the military. I wish the drill sgt's could still hit people; I knew some that needed it when I was in Basic.

Quote:
And don't the "active duty" people still get clothing allowances?

They do, but it doesn't cover everything and is given according to how long you have been in the military and what rank you have earned. For someone who is an E-2, they don't get that much compared to someone who is an E-5 or E-6. The higher ranks get more because they have been in longer, typically need more equipment and have had their BDU's for far longer.
0 Replies