Annoying Art, Or Not? (new images added)

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:42 am
I don't find all conceptual or site specific land art annoying, but this one irritates me as invasive sky clutter. Opinions may vary..

New York Times
October 22, 2004
INSIDE ART

Some Low-Flying Art That's Full of Meaning
By CAROL VOGEL

For the first time in more than a decade, Jenny Holzer's sayings about life and the state of the world will soon be visible in unexpected places around New York.

From Tuesday though Nov. 1, seven of her "Truisms'' will be flying around Long Island, along the Brooklyn waterfront and up the Hudson River to the George Washington Bridge - emblazoned on banners attached to airplanes. In addition to her own sayings, Ms. Holzer has chosen one by Abraham Lincoln - "Whatever you are, be a good one'' - to be splashed across the New York skyline. And the artist's scrolling quotations of poetry will be projected onto several city landmarks, including the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine.

"These projections have been seen all over the world, but she's never had the opportunity to show them in the United States,'' said Anne Pasternak, director of Creative Time, the nonprofit organization that is sponsoring the show.

Ms. Holzer said she felt that the election season was an ideal time to show her work in New York, although none of her sayings will be a campaign endorsement. "Right before the election I thought it was time to look to the skies,'' she said. "So I dusted off some truisms that have to do with the state of the world and what is on people's minds.''

Ms. Holzer said the projections would include works by contemporary poets like the Nobel laureate Wislawa Szymborska, Yehuda Amichai and Henri Cole. (Dates and locations are listed at www.creativetime.org/programs.)

How does she expect New Yorkers to react? "In different ways, from utter indifference to pleasure,'' she said. "I'm hoping these will not be seen so much as art, but as mysterious, anonymous, and that they will be read for their content.''

SOURCE

Sorry, I meant to add "I don't care one way or another" and "other" as options to the poll.

And, if you like Holzer's present project, does any other art annoy you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,363 • Replies: 73
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 11:20 am
Interesting topic. I'll be back after doing some research.

Basically I'm a Purist Tree Hugger and tend to look down my aristocratic nose at a lot of landscape art.

Did you see the National Park Service is not happy about The Breast Cancer Awareness people shining a pink light on the St. Louis Gateway Arch?

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/BCCBF9B4AFCA1ECB86256F250050FF05?OpenDocument&Headline=Pink+may+light+Arch+in+breast+cancer+fight++
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 11:32 am
I saw some land art in a photo just this week that I actually liked a lot. Back with a link after I get home from work today.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:15 pm
Osso--

I had trouble with your links.

I'm more open to Art-on-Architecture or Art-on-Machines that I am to artificial art impinging on nature. Gardens, yes. Monuments suited to a setting, yes. Out-and-out ostentatious gilding the lily--no.

I'm sure small aircraft pulling inspired banners is conspicuous--but is it art?

Kipling speaks:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Conundrum of the Workshops

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the flush of a new-born sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mould;
And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty, but is it Art ?"

Wherefore he called to his wife, and fled to fashion his work anew -
The first of his race who cared a fig for the first, most dread review;
And he left his lore to the use of his sons -- and that was a glorious gain
When the Devil chuckled "Is it Art ?" in the ear of the branded Cain.

They fought and they talked in the North and the South, they talked and they fought in the West,
Till the waters rose on the pitiful land, and the poor Red Clay had rest -
Had rest till that dank blank-canvas dawn when the dove was preened to start,
And the Devil bubbled below the keel: "It's human, but is it Art ?"

They builded a tower to shiver the sky and wrench the stars apart,
Till the Devil grunted behind the bricks: "It's striking, but is it Art ?"
The stone was dropped at the quarry-side and the idle derrick swung,
While each man talked of the aims of Art, and each in an alien tongue.

The tale is as old as the Eden Tree - and new as the new-cut tooth -
For each man knows ere his lip-thatch grows he is master of Art and Truth;
And each man hears as the twilight nears, to the beat of his dying heart,
The Devil drum on the darkened pane: "You did it, but was it Art ?"

We have learned to whittle the Eden Tree to the shape of a surplice-peg,
We have learned to bottle our parents twain in the yelk of an addled egg,
We know that the tail must wag the dog, for the horse is drawn by the cart;
But the Devil whoops, as he whooped of old: "It's clever, but is it Art ?"

When the flicker of London sun falls faint on the Club-room's green and gold,
The sons of Adam sit them down and scratch with their pens in the mould -
They scratch with their pens in the mould of their graves, and the ink and the anguish start,
For the Devil mutters behind the leaves: "It's pretty, but is it Art ?"

Now, if we could win to the Eden Tree where the Four Great Rivers flow,
And the Wreath of Eve is red on the turf as she left it long ago,
And if we could come when the sentry slept and softly scurry through,
By the favour of God we might know as much - as our father Adam knew!

0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:19 pm
Apparantly you have to subscribe or there's no access.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 05:04 pm
Well, the article is posted above the link....

but, sorry about that. It's no big deal to subscribe to email reading, it's free. But a lot of people don't like to register on a lot of sites.

Gee, can one not go to the NYT on google and see today's paper? Hmmm. It's hard for me to check out since I registered at the site from both home and work computers...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 05:22 pm
The link that is in the article didn't work for me either, for whatever reason.

Additional annoyance - I looked to find the land art piece that I saw a photo of recently and thought had grace... and I must have deleted it. It was in one of the online art newsletters I get... (mumble, mumble)

I edited out the word beautiful and put in grace, since I think beautiful is often misread. I have quite a wide open mind for what is beautiful and some hellish depictions sometimes have a kind of beauty for me.
Maybe I should use the word 'strength' instead of grace. In the case of this one land art piece, grace fits, as far as I can tell from the photo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 05:29 pm
Noddy, I don't personally have qualms that land art is art, or that conceptual art is art. I can understand that other people do.

There are some other threads on a2k that I have whined in about Andy Goldsworthy's art that I would rather just see the land by itself, the grove of trees without the art piece, though I have appreciated some other land art. But even at my whiniest, I think Goldsworthy's works are art.

Ah, back with some links on Holzer and Goldsworthy and I'll keep searching for that other aerial photo I liked.

On the pink light on the St. Louis arch... and Niagara Falls and wherever else - hmmm. If it is temporary, I am not immediately against it.
Mixed feelings in no special order -
a) er, will that disturb anything? Not that I can think of, but I don't know the sites personally.
b) could be beautiful and meaningful to people at the same time.
c) could be one more ploy in a breast cancer semi-scam. I am very sympathetic to breast cancer research, but not sure the people most involved in public promotion are channeling money wisely. Read some article once saying it's better to give directly to research facilities.
d) re Niagara Falls... hmmm, I don't know what lights are there already.
Have a personal bias towards not futzing with lights near them, and if I could get over that, would it be pink light? Maybe. And maybe I could like it.

On light...
I am still moved by the lights at Ground Zero thought of and presented by two different sets of people at the time. I loved that, and think it hasn't been bested by all the later efforts at memorial.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:56 pm
You used to be able to access today NYC for free but now they are charging for it.

If it's provocatively annoying, it's fine with me. That is, it's annoying to those the message means to bait.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:30 pm
The messages are fairly blando, I gather on purpose.

I am not irritated by all of her art.. it is this thing of sky threads that bugs me, cluttering up m'blue sky. Or, purportedly blue.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 09:34 am
I guess many objected to the Hindenburg hovering over the New York skyline but somehow a higher power saw to it that punishment was forthcoming.
Don't piss off those Big Apple environs!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 04:09 pm
I object to featuring the banal. "Feel good" art offends me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 10:37 am
Oh, I'm a bundle of contradictions! After whining about sky clutter the other day in this topic, this morning I ran across this article in the New York Times and LIKE IT.

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2004/10/21/arts/24dire.l.jpg

New York Times
October 24, 2004
DIRECTIONS | FEAT

'Scuse Me While I Paint the Sky

When the San Diego Museum of Art commissioned a work last year from Cai Guo-Qiang, the New-York based artist whose specialty is making art from the explosions of copious amounts of fireworks, everyone assumed he would produce something out of the ordinary. But it's unlikely that anyone was expecting this: a 1,000-foot-tall skyscraper of a work called "Painting Chinese Landscape Painting," which was created on Oct. 16 during the annual air show at the Miramar Marine Corps Air Station near San Diego. Here's how Mr. Cai painted on the air.

STEP ONE Mr. Cai had the idea of an airborne artwork when he learned of the proximity of the air show to the museum. "Inserting a peaceful artwork in between fleets of military planes, zooming by in shows of might," he said, "was a fantastic opportunity." It also helped that the museum's executive director at the time, Heath Fox, was a recently retired Marine Corps lieutenant colonel. Returning to New York after paying a visit to the site, Mr. Cai made two computer renderings: a nighttime work in which planes with fireworks attached would create an image of birds flapping their wings, and a daytime image of mountains and a waterfall (larger picture above). The daytime work, which cost less, was chosen.

STEP TWO Mr. Fox, using his Marine Corps contacts, put Mr. Cai in contact with the Lima Lima Flight Team, a civilian aerial acrobatic group based in Illinois that had skywriting, if not sky-painting, experience and agreed to reduce its usual fee for the occasion. Mr. Cai sent them his rendering and described the sequence he envisioned: two planes drawing mountains, to the left and right, followed by four planes zooming down the middle and then to either side, to create a waterfall and stream. E-mail messages flowed between Mr. Cai, the aerial team and Mr. Fox as Mr. Cai communicated the light, almost whimsical feeling he wanted the work to have.

STEP THREE The Lima Lima team rehearsed twice over the summer, during down time at air shows in Wisconsin and Tennessee. Videotapes and photographs of the rehearsals were sent to Mr. Cai in New York; at his request, the number of smoke nozzles on the planes was doubled and a denser smoke mixture was used, to make the smoke darker and to keep it from dissipating too quickly.

STEP FOUR The painting was scheduled for Oct. 15, but a fatal crash by another performer minutes before the Lima Lima team was to take off delayed it for a day. So that afternoon the flight team and Mr. Cai drove 45 minutes into the desert for a test run - the first time Mr. Cai had seen the work performed. Seeing the work live, rather than on tape or in a computer rendering, allowed him and the pilots to work out issues like how far from the audience the flight should take place to create the best viewing angle (one mile, as it turned out).

STEP FIVE Two flights, using the Lima Lima team's vintage Beech T-34 Mentor propeller training planes, went off without a hitch. But not everything could be planned for. On Oct. 15, the sky had been a perfect blue; on Oct. 16, the clouds were heavy and the sun did not burn them off. It was too late to change the mixture to make the smoke darker. "Painting Chinese Landscape Painting," meant to be white against a blue sky, ended up gray against a white sky (small picture above) - more of an ink wash effect, Mr. Cai decided, and he pronounced himself satisfied with result.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 01:41 pm
Very interesting. Thanks for posting the story.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 03:02 pm
Here's more on Holzer, Heizer, and Goldsworthy....

On Holzer, her work in general interests me, it is just the planes with banners that annoyed me; the link in from the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Link - Holzer piece at the MOMA

Heizer is one of the early land art artists, and his work seems quite strong to me. To the extent that his works might disturb the desert, I could get bothered, but am presently not. Here's what I think of as a good website about his work, and two accompanying photo links from that site.

Good link about Michael Heizer

and

http://www.bebeyond.com/LearnEnglish/DailyReadings/Arts/DesertSculptor_files/121299heizer-art.1.jpg an image from the link above

http://graphics.nytimes.com/library/arts/121299heizer-art.2.jpg another image from that link

Andy Goldsworthy's work has irritated me in the past, pieces like lining up rows of leaves...
however, in my continual argueing about it, I see myself liking some of his pieces. Even, dammit, one with a layout of leaves and berries.
I'm putting in two pictures, one of the leaves and berries that
overcame my distaste for what I have thought of as contrived leaf play when I like nature's own play....
and the other, an example of a piece I am still crabby about, an arch in a grove of trees. I'd like that picture better without the arch..

http://cgee.hamline.edu/see/goldsworthy/gold_irisberries.gif
image of Goldsworthy piece

http://www.sculpture.org.uk/image/000000100091-3
image of a Goldworthy sculpture
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 11:55 pm
The sky painting is reminiscent of a Motherwell calligraphy.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:03 am
Would someone be kind enough to explain the process behind the leaves and berries photo?

Are they laid out on some sort of wire mesh or superimposed over the photograph or what?

I like it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:04 pm
I don't think Goldsworthy plays with photography in that way, Gus. There are books about him... maybe Vivien knows, I think she likes his work a lot.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 05:20 pm
hi Osso and Gus - yes I do like Goldworthy's work a lot.

The leaves and berries would have just been arranged in the landscape - no grid, no artificial additives!

I love some that he did with pools in rocks in a white water stream, floating bright autumn leaves on the surface.

The sky painting is interesting - but I don't like the idea of banal sayings being towed around the sky. I tried your link but it just took me to 'my' landing page (I registered after another interesting article you quoted Osso)

I like the way that Goldworthy's work is environmentally friendly - he makes no major changes to the landscape, anything he does is temporary and transitory, The photo is the only record and is beautiful in its own right.

I'm no expert on his work though
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:01 pm
Hi, Vivien, glad you checked in here.

You'll smile that I am gradually liking his work more.
Somewhat.
0 Replies