Annoying Art, Or Not? (new images added)

Vivien

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 03:10 am
Very Happy

on looking again at that image I realise it is floating on water and the trees behind are reflections - that is just what I love about his work - the playing with perception.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:18 pm
Vivien, I like that: "playing with perception." That will be my standard excuse when I do things like screwing up the perspective in a drawing. Laughing
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:07 pm
mmm 'tis indeed a useful phrase! Very Happy

- as is 'interesting' when you can't think what on earth to say without mortally offending someone!
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 09:22 am
the scary thing about saying something is "interesting" is like saying something is "nice"... and meaning it and sounding like a prat.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:17 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 12:06 am
I do it all the time, honestly!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 02:58 am
me too Embarrassed

the worst is trying to find something to say when seeing an exhibition of excrutiatingly bad work and the artist stands there waiting smugly to be praised - full of his own importance and sure of his talent

.... help! I resorted to 'mmm.... how many years have you been painting?' (the work was awful, the colours terrible, the compositions non-existent, the drawing skills absent - nothing to praise - and I can't say something is great when it isn't, especially to someone so full of himself!)

...50 years he said smugly - I just smiled and tried not to catch the friends eyes

outside my friend said 'one year's experience - 50 times over' which summed it up brilliantly
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 05:02 am
good explaination...
I just thought of someone's work that gets to me, Damien Hurst (of formaldahyde cow fame) it is just gruesome. There was also the person in Britain, that was given the grant to kick a can in the street. Ummmm... art!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 03:01 am
sadly we have a few idiots who build these people up Confused

I watched a programme on Damien Hurst some time ago, thinking I ought to see if there was anything in his work, there wasn't. He had a little gaggle of girlie groupies in tow as he cut a cow in half - and when it was found to have been pregnant were simpering 'oh a dear little baby' - how gruesome can it get?

I missed the kicking of the can! so much conceptual art is just so boring - you look, you get the shallow idea they are expressing - and then what? it isn't sustaining and has nothing else to offer.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 05:15 am
exactly, it is all very pompous... depending.
I like Luis Camnitzer's work, but he is an older artist, well respected. He does only conceptual pieces. They tend to be political.

ohhh, how hideous! (about the cow)
He doesn't stop at cows though, I have seen photos of his friends or whomever they were making faces next to decapitated heads in a wetlab. Just so tasteless.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 06:46 am
Given a grant to kick a can in the street?
Ha ha ha...surely the art is in GETTING the grant.
This appeals to me.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 10:23 am
It is definately a heap of art-bullshit (as I called art essay writing at school) gets you the grant.
Think of the most out there, ludicrous thing and you would probably get it.

Get from Brett Whiteley to fornicating frogs in six steps...
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 10:41 am
I'll have to look up Luis Kamnitzer - I've never heard of him.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 11:10 am
What do you think about this?
Quote:
Agustin Ibarrola, the illustrious Basque sculptor and painter responsible for much of the public art one finds throughout the Basque region, had suddenly felt himself called to this forest on the side of the mountain, where he had now created a kind of organic art by painting the trunks of the trees, his personal vision of color and form now penetrating even the deepest corners of these woods.

As you climb the mountain into the forest, the perspective changes so that each collection of trees forms the design of one more paintings--a living art form which, as you move higher and higher into the forest, never ceases to astonish.

http://www.katherineneville.com/images/karl_in_sacred_forest.jpg

At first I didn't like te idea of painting on trees -- but it grew on me, Very Happy especially the story behind it. One of the two owners of the forest hated the art so much that he started to cut all the trees down. The government stepped in to purchase what was left of the forest and during their survey found a prehistoric Celtic site.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 11:45 am
I find the art annoying, even if the paint is unharmful to the trees, and the owner more annoying.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 10:06 pm
I agree.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 11:32 pm
You found which owner more annoying? The one who cut down the trees, the owner who left them standing, or the government who purchased it and considered it art? I used to be a purist, but it's grown on me. I like the way it brings light into the forest.

I've also grown fond of the Chinese poems carved into rock above the Yangtze River.
http://beifan.com/013album/13lyangz-poems.jpg

And, of course, I'm very fond of the (10,000 years old) "She Who Watches" http://www.cwu.edu/~garrison/images/Wishram4.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 11:59 pm
The one who cut down the trees.

On the art, I like the forest as itself, by itself, for the most part. I recently let room for AGoldworty to fritter about with leaves.
Not much more, for me.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 01:45 am
what type of idiot figures that "cutting" the trees down is a good idea???
I like the poetry and structures that blend with the natural landscape, after all "we" were doing that for thousands of years before people started "to own" specific parts of the world.

I have never really liked all of Christo's work though. I appreciate the thought and everything, but it seems to be more of an inconvieniece than art? It is purposefully obscuring something. I guess that's ok - we can't have everything spelled out for us.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 01:55 am
oh thought about something else.
Forget the name of the artist...

I walked into the MCA in Sydney a long time ago (when you had to pay) to be confronted with a smell coming from a room. The smell was slightly repulsive, as it was weak, but familiar.

Inside the room was glass cases with pillows in them with used sanitary products and the woman's story beside it. I was so horrified to see dried out used tampons etc I didn't read many of the stories.
Would that repulse anyone else? Sure, it was a famanist statement, but it hindsight it is like the guy who gets the grant kicking the can in the street...
0 Replies