An Actual Ethical Dilemma Thread???

paulaj

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:48 pm
Piffka wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
Aha! It did occur to me I might be wrong. I'm glad that nice waiter here won't be sacked...

and the waiter from Crater Lake would be an asset here..

Still, do the large pockets or small pockets of the owner(s) rightfully affect behavior, if they do? I don't mean yours or mine in particular, but anyone's behavior.

That's part of the dilemma and the other is whether there is true wisdom in pointing out other's mistakes.

What was your objective, to point out a persons mistake, or bring truth where there was error?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:12 pm
Paula -- Being truthful and to pay for what I had used. The fallout was the problem.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:35 pm
Piffka wrote:
Paula -- Being truthful and to pay for what I had used. The fallout was the problem.

The greatest homage we can pay to truth, is to use it.
James Russell Lowell

You did what you thought was right. I hope you don't feel guilty for the situation that transpired.
What alternative did you have, don't say anything and carry that around with you?

Let me ask you this, if that situation happens again what will you do?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:43 pm
I'm sure I would, Paula, but I wonder how people who are waiters or who have been waiters feel about this. Wouldn't they rather that the mistake were glossed over? This is the person who served us... these people are the ones who have a very personal hand in our lives. So why shouldn't I feel more loyal to them then the owners of the lodge, especially if the mistake costs them their job?

By the time that the entire thing had been sorted out, three people on one side of the counter had wasted 20 minutes of their time trying to figure this out and meanwhile not serving other guests who were also trying to check out. Of course, I also had to cool my heels for the same interval. Was it worth it?
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:43 pm
About the HIV dillema, you need to ask yourself this question. If you know that your freind is HIV+ and he is dating someone without letting them know, would you contact the person he/she is dating and let them know?
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:58 pm
Three topics in this thread caught my interest in regards to ethics, all because of the closeness to home that each hit upon. AIDS, ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and Euthanasia. Several years ago, one very close friend of mine with AIDS had, with his partner, decided upon euthanasia to end my friends life. But only when my friend had decided enough was enough. It was very surreal at the time it happened, as my friend had actually chosen a day and invited all of his family and closest friends to be there with him to say his final goodbyes. The house was full, plenty of food and drink and it almost could have been a party had none of us known why we were there. People wandered in and out of my friends room for most of the morning and early afternoon until everyone had had the chance to speak with him. At that point, a doctor friend and my friends partner went into my friends room and closed the door. It felt so strange and almost disorienting....the "guests" still mingling and chatting, sipping wine and eating. About 30 minutes later, my friends partner emerged and simply said "Tony has passed". There was about 5 minutes of complete silence and then everyone resumed what they were doing before. The doctor left immediately after proclaiming Tony dead from complications from AIDS. I couldn't stick around anymore and questioned why I had come to begin with knowing what the outcome would be. Euthanasia is not legal in our state and yet I was a party to it by just being there. I still sometimes struggle with that whole scene and what I could have, would have or should have done different, if anything....

My experience with Lou Gehrigs Disease and euthanasia was even harder, but since this one post ended up much longer than I originally intended, I'll save it for another time perhaps.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:18 pm
Piffka wrote:
I'm sure I would, Paula, but I wonder how people who are waiters or who have been waiters feel about this. Wouldn't they rather that the mistake were glossed over? This is the person who served us... these people are the ones who have a very personal hand in our lives. So why shouldn't I feel more loyal to them then the owners of the lodge, especially if the mistake costs them their job?

By the time that the entire thing had been sorted out, three people on one side of the counter had wasted 20 minutes of their time trying to figure this out and meanwhile not serving other guests who were also trying to check out. Of course, I also had to cool my heels for the same interval. Was it worth it?

I would have done the same thing you did if I was in that circumstance. No one has a crystal ball that tells them the outcome of every situation they move about in. You did the right thing by correcting the error.
As far as a mistake costing someone a job, most people get fired because of multiple mistakes, not one.
If it were not for the owners there would be no jobs in the first place for the waiters or waitresses.
Was it worth it? Yes, a clear conscience is worth alot more than 20 minutes of my time.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:44 pm
paulaj wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Quote:

Thinking about that one, Letty...........

You know - I suspect the walking out thing was a symptom of him decompensating in some way - the expulsion might well have been immaterial....

dlowan

Could you explain what decompensating is.

Sure: This is the definition

"The inability to maintain defense mechanisms in response to stress, resulting in personality disturbance or psychological imbalance."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:50 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
dlowan wrote:
You realise that, in this thread, YOU get to be on the spot too, Joe - you are not just the usual lofty interlocutor and critic that you get to be on your own threads!

Very true. I take on the role of lofty interlocutor on my own threads because I don't want people to view them as the kind of "I'm right and everyone else is wrong" polemics that one frequently sees on the Politics forum. My function is to facilitate discussion, not dominate it. On threads that I don't initiate, however, I'm perfectly comfortable with giving my own opinions, as I have done here.

willow_tl: If, in the situation that you described, you had learned of HIV+ Harvey's status in confidence (e.g. as part of your professional duties), then you had an overriding obligation to maintain that confidence. To give an analogous situation: suppose a priest learns, through a penitent's confession, of a crime that will soon be committed. Had the priest learned this information in any other way, then his duty would have been clear: report the information to the police or to the potential victim of the crime. Learning it in the confessional, however, imposes an ethical obligation upon him to maintain that secret.

In the same respect, if you are obligated, pursuant to your professional standards and code of ethics, to maintain these types of confidences, then you have an obligation that overrides your obligation to your friend. That does not mean, however, that you are forced to stand to one side and do nothing. In that situation, I would confront Harvey, tell him that he is engaging in risky behavior, and urge him either to stop or to inform my friend himself that he is HIV+.

But Joe - most professional codes of ethics - and also the law - DO allow for the need (indeed, the obligation) to breach confidentiality in some cases.

Here is but one account: http://www.ncrel.org/sdrs/areas/issues/envrnmnt/css/cs3lk1.htm

Duty to Warn
Duty to warn refers to the responsibility of a counselor or therapist to breach confidentiality if a client or other identifiable person is in clear or imminent danger. In situations where there is clear evidence of danger to the client or other persons, the counselor must determine the degree of seriousness of the threat and notify the person in danger and others who are in a position to protect that person from harm (Herlihy & Sheeley, 1988; Pate, 1992).

For example, if a student tells the school counselor that another student is planning to commit suicide, the counselor is obliged to investigate and should not leave the indicated student alone until the parents or guardians have arrived (Davis & Ritchie, 1993).

The legal precedent of this concept was set in the case of Tarasoff v. Regents of the University of California (1976). In this case, according to Keith-Spiegel and Koocher (1985), a University of California student named Prosenjit Poddar was seeing a psychologist at the university's student health center because a young woman named Tatiana Tarasoff had spurned his affections. The psychologist, reasoning that Poddar was dangerous because of his pathological attachment to Tarasoff and because he intended to purchase a gun, notified the police both verbally and in writing. The police questioned Poddar and found him to be rational; they made Poddar promise to stay away from Tarasoff. Two months later, however, Poddar killed Tarasoff. When Tarasoff's parents attempted to sue the University of California, health center staff members, and the police, the courts dismissed the case.

Keith-Spiegel and Koocher (1985, p. 62), describe what happened next:

"The Tarasoff family appealed to the Supreme Court of California, asserting that the defendants had a duty to warn Ms. Tarasoff or her family of the danger and that they should have persisted to ensure [Poddar's] confinement. In a 1974 ruling, the court held that the therapists indeed did have a duty to warn Ms. Tarasoff. When the defendants and several amici curiae [literally, "friends of the court," or entities who file a brief with the court even though they are not parties to the suit] petitioned for a rehearing, the court took the unusual step of granting one. In their second ruling (Tarasoff, 1976), the court released the police from liability without explanation and more broadly formulated the duty of therapists, imposing a duty to use reasonable care to protect third parties against dangers posed by patients." (p. 62)

McWhinney, Haskins-Herkenham, and Hare (1992) note the effects of this case:

"The case of Tarasoff v. Regents of the University of California (1976) imposed an affirmative duty on therapists to warn a potential victim of intended harm by the client, stating that the right to confidentiality ends when the public peril begins. This legal decision sets an affirmative duty precedent in cases of harm to others that is generally accepted within the social work profession." (p. 3)

According to Davis and Ritchie (1993), this case indicates that "notifying police is not sufficient action to protect the counselor from a lawsuit if the client's threat is carried out" (p. 27).

In the situation I described, when the client threatened to kill family members, I had a clear duty to warn, which I fulfilled.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:01 pm
More on this issue: (The codes of ethics for my, and other professions, are too long to look through, so I haven't copied the relevant bits from those.)

http://www.ama.com.au/web.nsf/doc/WEEN-5PF8DV

http://www.psychdirect.com/forensic/PsychLaw/warn/overview.htm

The secrets of the confessional thing is being challenged, too - especially re child abuse - but it is not as clear as Joe makes it seem anymore, I don't think - though possible obligations for priests to divulge information are most certainly only just being talked about widely.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:09 pm
cavfancier wrote:
For the purpose of the discussion, living with AIDS, knowing it will be fatal, do you choose suicide, or the fight to live? Would you support euthanasia? Would you try to wait it out and see what the research comes up with?

Dilemma: fatal illness, the medical community wants to help you, but they cannot cure you, as of yet. So, what shall it be, a few more years of suffering, or perhaps control, or perhaps new treatments, or to give up entirely?

This would be a suffering vs joy, utility and my obligations thing for me, Cav.

The suffering of those close to me from suicide (which are well known to me, since I see many folk who have lost loved ones this way) would certainly be a factor - as would any use and succour I might be able to be to those (including animals) around me. Also of interest would be other effects on those around me - would my killing myself leave others at disadvantage? (Perhaps with insurance, etc,) Plus, of course, any joy I might have in life!

In practice, I know it is wise to leave such decisions for a while - since depression may pass.

I certainly personally hold open the option of suicide if I am diagnosed with a nasty and degarding illness - whether i would do it is impossible to know - most people, in fact, do not. However, I believe it is a perfectly ethical decision for an individual to make - but I think there is an obligation to think it through, and consider the effect upon others - and very likely to discuss it with some - or one - of the closest of them, and help them to come to terms with your decision.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:12 pm
Hmmm - Piffka - as the delinquent subject of one such honest customer revelation, I can say that - though horrified at what I had done - I enormously respected the customer for coming back and paying the full bill.

I think that is the clearly ethical choice - sad though it might be for the waiter.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:14 pm
Lady J wrote:
Three topics in this thread caught my interest in regards to ethics, all because of the closeness to home that each hit upon. AIDS, ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and Euthanasia. Several years ago, one very close friend of mine with AIDS had, with his partner, decided upon euthanasia to end my friends life. But only when my friend had decided enough was enough. It was very surreal at the time it happened, as my friend had actually chosen a day and invited all of his family and closest friends to be there with him to say his final goodbyes. The house was full, plenty of food and drink and it almost could have been a party had none of us known why we were there. People wandered in and out of my friends room for most of the morning and early afternoon until everyone had had the chance to speak with him. At that point, a doctor friend and my friends partner went into my friends room and closed the door. It felt so strange and almost disorienting....the "guests" still mingling and chatting, sipping wine and eating. About 30 minutes later, my friends partner emerged and simply said "Tony has passed". There was about 5 minutes of complete silence and then everyone resumed what they were doing before. The doctor left immediately after proclaiming Tony dead from complications from AIDS. I couldn't stick around anymore and questioned why I had come to begin with knowing what the outcome would be. Euthanasia is not legal in our state and yet I was a party to it by just being there. I still sometimes struggle with that whole scene and what I could have, would have or should have done different, if anything....

My experience with Lou Gehrigs Disease and euthanasia was even harder, but since this one post ended up much longer than I originally intended, I'll save it for another time perhaps.

Fascinating, Lady J.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:22 pm
dlowan wrote:
But Joe - most professional codes of ethics - and also the law - DO allow for the need (indeed, the obligation) to breach confidentiality in some cases.

Read again what I wrote: "...if you are obligated, pursuant to your professional standards and code of ethics, to maintain these types of confidences, then you have an obligation that overrides your obligation to your friend."

I don't know what willow's ethical obligations are under those circumstances. Indeed, I don't know what willow's ethical obligations are under any circumstances. That's why I phrased my answer in the subjunctive.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:32 pm
dlowan, thanks for the definition.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:33 pm
dlowan wrote:
cavfancier wrote:
For the purpose of the discussion, living with AIDS, knowing it will be fatal, do you choose suicide, or the fight to live? Would you support euthanasia? Would you try to wait it out and see what the research comes up with?

Dilemma: fatal illness, the medical community wants to help you, but they cannot cure you, as of yet. So, what shall it be, a few more years of suffering, or perhaps control, or perhaps new treatments, or to give up entirely?

The suffering of those close to me from suicide (which are well known to me, since I see many folk who have lost loved ones this way) would certainly be a factor - as would any use and succour I might be able to be to those (including animals) around me. Also of interest would be other effects on those around me - would my killing myself leave others at disadvantage? (Perhaps with insurance, etc,) Plus, of course, any joy I might have in life!

In practice, I know it is wise to leave such decisions for a while - since depression may pass.

I certainly personally hold open the option of suicide if I am diagnosed with a nasty and degarding illness - whether i would do it is impossible to know - most people, in fact, do not. However, I believe it is a perfectly ethical decision for an individual to make - but I think there is an obligation to think it through, and consider the effect upon others - and very likely to discuss it with some - or one - of the closest of them, and help them to come to terms with your decision.

<Just stirring the pot> So it's all about you in the end, isn't it...Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:35 pm
Actually, I agree that communication in any emotional situation is key to understanding.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:39 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Read again what I wrote: "...if you are obligated, pursuant to your professional standards and code of ethics, to maintain these types of confidences, then you have an obligation that overrides your obligation to your friend."

I don't know what willow's ethical obligations are under those circumstances. Indeed, I don't know what willow's ethical obligations are under any circumstances. That's why I phrased my answer in the subjunctive.

Fair enough - dinna see the "if".

Would you ever see the need to break such a code as you subjuncted about?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:40 pm
cavfancier wrote:
dlowan wrote:
cavfancier wrote:

<Just stirring the pot> So it's all about you in the end, isn't it...Laughing

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

So - what would YOU do, Cav?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:51 pm
As you or as me?
0 Replies