AMERICA NEEDS TO WAKE UP! At war for years now

Xena

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:54 am
U.S. Navy Capt. Ouimette is the XO at NAS, Pensacola.

Here is a copy of the speech he gave last month. It is an accurate account of why we are in so much trouble today and why this action is so necessary.

AMERICA NEEDS TO WAKE UP!

That's what we think we heard on the 11th of September 2001 and maybe it was, but I think it should have been "Get Out of Bed!" In fact, I think the alarm clock has been buzzing since 1979 and we have continued to hit the snooze button and roll over for a few more minutes of
peaceful sleep since then.

It was a cool fall day in November 1979 in a country going through a religious and political upheaval when a group of Iranian students attacked and seized the American Embassy in Tehran. This seizure was an outright attack on American soil; it was an attack that held the world's most powerful country hostage and paralyzed a Presidency. The attack on this sovereign U. S. embassy set the stage for events to follow for the next 25 years.

America was still reeling from the aftermath of the Vietnam experience and had a serious threat from the Soviet Union when then, President Carter, had to do something. He chose to conduct a clandestine raid in the desert. The ill-fated mission ended in ruin, but stood as a symbol of America's inability to deal with terrorism.

America's military had been decimated and downsized/right sized since the end of the Vietnam War. A poorly trained, poorly equipped and poorly organized military was called on to execute a complex mission that was doomed from the start.

Shortly after the Tehran experience, Americans began to be kidnapped and killed throughout the Middle East. America could do little to protect her citizens living and working abroad. The attacks against US soil continued.

In April of 1983 a large vehicle packed with high explosives was driven into the US Embassy compound in Beirut. When it explodes, it kills 63 people. The alarm went off again and America hit the Snooze Button once more.

Then just six short months later a large truck heavily laden down with over 2500 pounds of TNT smashed through the main gate of the US Marine Corps headquarters in Beirut and 241 US servicemen are killed. America mourns her dead and hit the Snooze Button once more.

Two months later in December 1983, another truck loaded with explosives is driven into the US Embassy in Kuwait, and America continues her slumber.

The following year, in September 1984, another van was driven into the gates of the US Embassy in Beirut and America slept.

Soon the terrorism spreads to Europe. In April 1985 a bomb explodes in a restaurant frequented by US soldiers in Madrid.

Then in August a Volkswagen loaded with explosives is driven into the main gate of the US Air Force Base at Rhein-Main, 22 are killed and the snooze alarm is buzzing louder and louder as US interests are continually attacked.

Fifty-nine days later a cruise ship, the Achille Lauro is hijacked and we watched as an American in a wheelchair is singled out of the passenger list and executed.

The terrorists then shift their tactics to bombing civilian airliners when they bomb TWA Flight 840 in April of 1986 that killed 4 and the most tragic bombing, Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland in 1988, killing 259.

America wants to treat these terrorist acts as crimes; in fact we are still trying to bring these people to trial. These are acts of war.

The wake up alarm is getting louder and louder The terrorists decide to bring the fight to America. In January 1993, two CIA agents are shot and killed as they enter CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia.

The following month, February 1993, a group of terrorists are arrested after a rented van packed with explosives is driven into the underground parking garage of the World Trade Center in New York City. Six people are killed and over 1000 are injured. Still this is a crime and not an act of war?

The Snooze alarm is depressed again. Then in November 1995 a car bomb explodes at a US military complex in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia killing seven service men and women.

A few months later in June of 1996, another truck bomb explodes only 35 yards from the US military compound in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. It destroys the Khobar Towers, a US Air Force barracks, killing 19 and injuring over 500. The terrorists are getting braver and smarter as they see that America does not respond decisively..

They move to coordinate their attacks in a simultaneous attack on two US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. These attacks were planned with precision. They kill 224. America responds with cruise missile attacks and goes back to sleep.

The USS Cole was docked in the port of Aden, Yemen for refueling on 12 October 2000, when a small craft pulled along side the ship and exploded killing 17 US Navy Sailors. Attacking a US War Ship is an act of war, but we sent the FBI to investigate the crime and went back to sleep.

And of course you know the events of 11 September 2001. Most Americans think this was the first attack against US soil or in America. How wrong they are. America has been under a constant attack since 1979 and we chose to hit the snooze alarm and roll over and go back to sleep.

In the news lately we have seen lots of finger pointing from every high officials in government over what they knew and what they didn't know. But if you've read the papers and paid a little attention I think you can see exactly what they knew. You don't have to be in the FBI or CIA or on the National Security Council to see the pattern that has been developing since 1979.

The President is right on when he says we are engaged in a war. I think we have been in a war for the past 25 years and it will continue until we as a people decide enough is enough.

America needs to "Get out of Bed" and act decisively now. America has been changed forever. We have to be ready to pay the price and make the sacrifice to ensure our way of life continues. We cannot afford to keep hitting the snooze button again and again and roll over and go back to sleep.

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, Admiral Yamamoto said "...it seems all we have done is awakened a sleeping giant." This is the message we need to disseminate to terrorists around the world.

Support Our Troops and support President Bush for having the courage, political or militarily, to address what so many who preceded him didn't have the backbone to do both Democrat and Republican. This is not a political thing to be hashed over in an election year this is an AMERICAN thing. This is about our Freedom and the Freedom of our children in years to come.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,024 • Replies: 65
No top replies

squinney

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 08:08 am
Quote:
The President is right on when he says we are engaged in a war. I think we have been in a war for the past 23 years and it will continue until we as a people decide enough is enough.

Agreed.

Quote:
America needs to "Get out of Bed" and act decisively now. America has been changed forever. We have to be ready to pay the price and make the sacrifice to ensure our way of life continues. We cannot afford to keep hitting the snooze button again and again and roll over and go back to sleep.

Agreed

Quote:
Support Our Troops

Agreed.

Quote:
...and support President Bush for having the courage, political or militarily, to address what so many who preceded him didn't have the backbone to do both Democrat and Republican. This is not a political thing to be hashed over in an election year this is an AMERICAN thing. This is about our Freedom and the Freedom of our children in years to come.

Disagree. Had we continued to pursue Al Quada, Osama and his top militants, this would be one thing. The war in Iraq IS NOT part of the war on terror. Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld have finally admitted that to there being no connection between Osama / Al Quada and Saddam. Without a connection, as well as no WMD's, the preemptive strike and invasion of Iraq certainly wasn't courageous politically or militarily. If he wanted to be courageous, perhaps Bush would have gone himself and told Saddam to "Bring it on."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:20 am
Re: AMERICA NEEDS TO WAKE UP! At war for 23 years
U.S. Navy Capt. Ouimette wrote:
After the attack on Pearl Harbor, Admiral Yamamoto said "...it seems all we have done is awakened a sleeping giant."

No he didn't.
0 Replies

Xena

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 10:11 am
squinney wrote:
[
Quote:
...and support President Bush for having the courage, political or militarily, to address what so many who preceded him didn't have the backbone to do both Democrat and Republican. This is not a political thing to be hashed over in an election year this is an AMERICAN thing. This is about our Freedom and the Freedom of our children in years to come.

Disagree. Had we continued to pursue Al Quada, Osama and his top militants, this would be one thing. The war in Iraq IS NOT part of the war on terror. Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld have finally admitted that to there being no connection between Osama / Al Quada and Saddam. Without a connection, as well as no WMD's, the preemptive strike and invasion of Iraq certainly wasn't courageous politically or militarily. If he wanted to be courageous, perhaps Bush would have gone himself and told Saddam to "Bring it on."

We never gave up the search for Osama. Besides that, do you really think getting Osama will be the end to terrorism? Sorry, that's where we disagree. Al Quada is not one man. State sponsered terrorism is as much a threat as any one man.

The problem is you ignore everything the Democrats have said sine 1998. Even in the Iraq Liberation Act is states:

Quote:
(5) Hostilities in Operation Desert Storm ended on February 28, 1991, and Iraq subsequently accepted the ceasefire conditions specified in United Nations Security Council Resolution 687 (April 3, 1991) requiring Iraq, among other things, to disclose fully and permit the dismantlement of its weapons of mass destruction programs and submit to long-term monitoring and verification of such dismantlement.

(6) In April 1993, Iraq orchestrated a failed plot to assassinate former President George Bush during his April 14-16, 1993, visit to Kuwait.

Iraq never abided by the ceasefire conditions, continuing to shoot at our planes in the no-fly zone.

Saddam supported terrorism. The Administration never said there was absolutely no connection. There is just no operational proof, therefore they cannot show you a piece of paper stating "We are working together."

Never mind Saddam paid homicide bombers families.

These things are not in dispute..

* Abdul Rahman Yasin was the only member of the al Qaeda cell that detonated the 1993 World Trade Center bomb to remain at large in the Clinton years. He fled to Iraq. U.S. forces recently discovered a cache of documents in Tikrit, Saddam's hometown, that show that Iraq gave Mr. Yasin both a house and monthly salary.

* An Iraqi defector to Turkey, known by his cover name as ''Abu Mohammed,'' told Gwynne Roberts of the Sunday Times of London that he saw bin Laden's fighters in camps in Iraq in 1997. At the time, Mohammed was a colonel in Saddam's Fedayeen. He described an encounter at Salman Pak, the training facility southeast of Baghdad. At that vast compound run by Iraqi intelligence, Muslim militants trained to hijack planes with knives--on a full-size Boeing 707. Col. Mohammed recalls his first visit to Salman Pak this way: ''We were met by Colonel Jamil Kamil, the camp manager, and Major Ali Hawas. I noticed that a lot of people were queuing for food. (The major) said to me: 'You'll have nothing to do with these people. They are Osama bin Laden's group and the PKK and Mojahedin-e Khalq.' ''
We found the planes buried in the sand after the invasion.

* Abu Musaab al-Zarqawi oversaw an al Qaeda training camp in Afghanistan. His specialty was poisons. Wounded in fighting with U.S. forces, he sought medical treatment in Baghdad in May 2002. When Zarqawi recovered, he restarted a training camp in northern Iraq. Zarqawi's Iraq cell was later tied to the October 2002 murder of Lawrence Foley, an official of the U.S. Agency for International Development, in Amman, Jordan. The captured assassin confessed that he received orders and funds from Zarqawi's cell in Iraq, his accomplice escaped to Iraq.

*Zarqawi met with military chief of al Qaeda, Mohammed Ibrahim Makwai (aka Saif al-Adel) in Iran in February 2003, according to intelligence sources cited by the Washington Post.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 02:23 pm
Support our Troops

..........Vote George Bush out of office so he stops playing Cowboys and Indians with our families.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 02:39 pm
yes.
0 Replies

Xena

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 05:06 pm
No...
0 Replies

Xena

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 05:08 pm
So, we should leave Al Quada alone. Osama is just one thug. Guess who we are fighting in Iraq? Is it so hard to understand, that is what we are doing there? Killing and capturing Al Quada. I guess what you are really saying is we can "deal" with them as nuisances, just a few terrorist attacks won't be so bad.. Just like Kerry, turn tail and run.. That will teach them alright! It's pathetic.

That is not supporting our troops. That dishonors the soldiers that made the ultimate sacrific, fighing Al Quada in Iraq.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 05:11 pm
THERE'S A REASON THEY ARE CALLED INSURGENTS!!!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 05:14 pm
Xena wrote:

That is not supporting our troops. That dishonors the soldiers that made the ultimate sacrific, fighing Al Quada in Iraq.

Perhaps you weren't around then (or maybe you were and made the same argument), but this exact line was used to keep the US in Vietnam for a really long time. So that even more of our soldiers had the chance to make the ultimate sacrifice...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 05:29 pm
For JoeofChicago:

"I'm afraid that we have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with terrible resolve."

Famous words those, but that's one reason that I don't use quotes or signatures.

Who made them our enemies?
0 Replies

Xena

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 05:31 pm
squinney wrote:
THERE'S A REASON THEY ARE CALLED INSURGENTS!!!

Can you make it any BIGGER!!!!

Whatever you want to call them they are Al Quada!!!!

D'artagnan

Quote:
Perhaps you weren't around then (or maybe you were and made the same argument), but this exact line was used to keep the US in Vietnam for a really long time. So that even more of our soldiers had the chance to make the ultimate sacrifice...

Just like a lib to call it another Vietnam.. I thought you guys wanted us to go after Al Quada. Then you turn around and look for every excuse you can to give us a reason to cut and run, like your man John (rice ass) Kerry.

This is a different time and a new kind of enemy (in case you guys haven't noticed it).
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 05:51 pm
Xena wrote:
(rice ass)

Laughing

Who says the level of debate is slipping?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 05:59 pm
Letty wrote:
For JoeofChicago:

"I'm afraid that we have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with terrible resolve."

Famous words those, but that's one reason that I don't use quotes or signatures.

Who made them our enemies?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question. That quotation may be famous, but it is not something that Admiral Yamamoto ever said. Instead, those are the famous words of Larry Forester, who wrote the screenplay of "Tora! Tora! Tora!" I know that, in these days of Schwarzeneggers and Reagans, it's sometimes difficult to distinguish between movies and reality. Still, it is worth the effort to make the distinction, and I like to do my little bit to maintain the bright line dividing the two.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 06:33 pm
Well, my goodness, Joe. If you ain't the last word in accuracy, what's the world to do? All this time, I thought that Mark Twain said, "A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke."

Anyway, if Hollywood said it, they had an inside track. Hmmm. Maybe Yamamoto didn't exist. J. Edgar Hoover didn't. I know that for a fact. Razz

Well, this American must get off this machine if she intends to wake up.

I can't stand the heat, so I'm going to the kitchen where it's cool.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:30 am
Xena wrote:
Homocide bombers

???

wtf is a homocide bomber?
0 Replies

Xena

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 05:38 am
Einherjar wrote:
Xena wrote:
Homocide bombers

???

wtf is a homocide bomber?

Is that all you got out of the post?

Thank you for pointing out the "spelling error". It has been corrected.

WTF is your problem? You have to ask that question? As if you didn't realize that! Unless you really thought I was refering to the bombing of homosexuals! What are you smoking up there in Norway? Again, thank you for pointing that out to me...
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:04 am
What is a homicide bomber then? Are you refering to the insurgents planting roadside bombs?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:15 am
I reread your initial post, and it occurs to me that arab extremists are making a very similar argument siting US support of Israel, US backing of corupt regimes in return for influence over policies, US military presense in those same countries and so on. The US might not be the only sleeping giant.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:48 am
squinney wrote:

Disagree. Had we continued to pursue Al Quada, Osama and his top militants, this would be one thing.

Question... How do you pursue vapor??

Those fools all got vaporized at ToraBora.
0 Replies