Tom Brady. A Class Act

Miller

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 08:32 am

Tom Brady. A class act

John Leach

I don't want to hear about allegedly ever-so-slightly under inflated footballs during the course of a blow-out game. Especially when the so-called star conspirator was eventually exonerated of any and all wrong doing by an unbiased arbitrator after having examined all the evidence -- or lack thereof.

And spare me the Spygate whining. Whatever happened -- or not -- it's over -- a long time ago. Justice was supposedly done, so let's move on.

Some recent stories have insinuated Tom Brady and his wife Gisele Bundchen hit a rough patch once she heard of the Deflategate gambit. Question. Do you really think a woman that is otherwise madly in love with her husband would start to have doubts about their marriage over the exact PSI levels in the footballs her husband played with in a game? Please. Then again, if something else under the sheets remained constantly under inflated....... but there's been no allegations of that. Besides, there's pills for such things these days. OK, enough with the hot air. Ahem.

Regardless, yours truly would submit Tom Brady is a class act in more ways than one. Is it because he rose from an original 6th round draft pick -- almost an afterthought -- to become one of the best QBs of all time? That's part of it.

Winning multiple Super Bowls and MVP awards along the way? Sure. Add that in.

A handsome rascal that married the above-mentioned gorgeous model? Can't hurt. Lots of people are jealous of all those things. It's just human nature. Nothing wrong with that either -- to a point.

Lots of jocks have become rich, have arm candy, and a trophy room full of hardware. But that doesn't define class. And endorsing various products on moronic/shameless TV commercials for money they obviously don't need is classy alright -- but it's all of the low variety.

To have true class means doing something you don't have to for the benefit of others, because you're in a position to do so. And this is what sets Brady apart.

Sure, he still makes a lot of money playing football for the New England Patriots -- an obscene amount when compared to your average John or Jane Doe citizen. But they don't have the job skills to be a top-flight QB in the NFL either. A difference.

But that's the thing. While Brady is widely currently considered to be among the top QBs in the league -- if not of all time -- he accepted a much lesser salary so the Pats would have cap room to sign other good players for the overall benefit of the team.

True, most of us can't even fathom what it would be like to make multi-millions every year, but it's all relative in the NFL. Consider Brady is making $14 million this year. Next year up to 15M. In 2017, 16M. That's a ton of money.

But further consider other NFL QB salaries. Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger is making $35 million. Do you think he's worth two and a half times more than Brady? Carolina's Cam Newton checks in at $31M. Matt Ryan of the Falcons at 23. Believe it or not Jay Cutler of the Bears get 20. The aging Drew Brees of the Saints 19. Eli 17. Tony Romo can't stay healthy, Philips Rivers has never won anything, and the quickly fading Peyton all make more than Brady. And don't get me started on having no shame when it comes to the elder Manning and his never-ending moronic commercials. Hell, the royalties alone are probably enough for him to make a serious down payment on buying Canada. Or at least a decent haircut.

Yet Brady has gone above and beyond the "show me the money" so typical of other jockish riffraff.

#12 got involved with the Make a Wish Foundation. He came upon a young child suffering from cancer that wanted to meet him. The boy was thrilled when Brady made it happen. Sure, a few jocks make such appearances for public relations, then walk away. But Brady kept in touch. Miraculously, after years of treatment, the young lad is now cancer free. So he composed a thank you note and also sent along 10 dollars to Brady to show his appreciation.

To a guy making $14 million, ten bucks isn't even a drop in the very large barrel. One would think a class guy like Brady would return the money of course, along with a thank you note of his own.

But that's where Brady set himself apart. He kept the money. Obviously not because he needed it, but because returning it could be perceived as a show of rejection by the young man from his hero.

Smart. Very smart.

Or perhaps it was just class showing itself once again.

Some people have it and some people don't. To the ones that do, it's never been about the money, whether they have it or not. A billionaire donating a measly few hundred grand to have a building named after him somewhere isn't class. He'll write it off on his taxes anyway.

Some jocks even have the audacity to have "pay for sign" autograph sessions. It's hard to determine which is lower on the class scale. The jocks that are whoring themselves or the idiots that actually stand in line to cough up the money. A sorry state of affairs indeed.

Here's to Tom Brady. You won't see him making an idiot of himself on TV hawking this or that product like so many others. Totally classless.

Love him or hate him, Brady has long had a knack of doing the right thing at the right time -- whether on the gridiron in games or away from it in the real world.

THAT defines class

opwrathofJohnblogspot.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,327 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Miller

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 08:37 am
This morning, I started a thread on why I think Tom Brady is a class act. For some reason, I lost my thread. So, I decided to see why other sports fans think, as I do, that Tom Brady is a class act.

John Leach, the author of this piece has done a better job of describing Tom, as a class act,than I could have. Thus, I've posted the above selection for your enjoyment and interest.

I agree with John Leach and firmly believe that Tom is a class act.

Good luck on Sunday, Tom! Keep on smiling....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 01:08 pm
Also listen to any press conference...he never talks smack or brags. He gives kudos to his opponent and shows respect for his competition
Miller

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 08:43 am
It'll be an over time game. Pats are expected to win by 3 points ( last report).
Miller

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 05:53 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

It'll be an over time game.

And so it was. Very exciting over time...I thought it would last most of the night!!

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 08:59 am
@Linkat,
His mother was at the game. I hope her health improves.

For sure, Tom had alot on his mind last night.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 09:24 am
Tom Brady got his Deflategate revenge.

Now he’ll never tell you that. Never even give you a wink or a nod, or a set of expensively-plucked raised eyebrows to covey that revenge was the main course on the postgame buffet last night.

When Brady, Bill Belichick and the Krafts stepped up to the stage to collect all the shiny Super Bowl hardware, it had to be the most awkward moment of Roger Goodell’s life. The commish talked and talked and talked, only it was a challenge to hear him over the boos that rained from every corner of NRG Stadium. (Why didn’t Goodell’s toadies screen those boos? Very sad!)

But when Kraft spoke, you could hear his heart ticking.

“Two years ago, we won our fourth Super Bowl down in Arizona. I told our fans that was the sweetest one of all, but a lot has transpired during the last two years,” said the Papa Bear of Foxboro. “And I don’t think that needs any explanation.”

Wink.

Nod.

Expensively plucked (even more so) raised eyebrows.

Brady and Goodell shook hands. It was pleasant, formal. They could have been at an insurance convention. Even when Brady collected his MVP Trophy, it was cotton candy.

“Thanks to everyone back in Boston,” he said gushingly. “You’ve been with us all year. We’re bringing this sucker home.”

A little while later, in a packed conference room under the stands, Brady was asked if he’d be willing to echo some of Kraft’s comments. He said he did not know what they were.

“Just happy to be a part of it,” he said. “It’s a great group of coaches and teammates and we overcame a lot of different things and it’s all worth it.”

Overcame a lot of different things. That was about as close as Brady was willing to go . . . there. When asked again about what Kraft had said about that, you know, thing that needs no explanation?

“We’ve done pretty well over the past few years. We were in the AFC championship last year and won the Super Bowl two years ago, so I don’t think anyone’s feeling bad for the Patriots.”

It should be noted that during this press conference, an older member of the media, seated in the front just a few feet from Brady, appeared to struggle getting his question across. What makes this relevant to the discussion is that Brady strained to hear the question, then stepped away from the podium, put his left hand on his knee and leaned forward as far as he could in order to hear what was being asked.

So we have this one guy, Brady, who gave that man some extra time. And we have this other guy, Goodell, who won’t give you the time of day.

That’s how Deflategate ended. It ended with the overreaching Goodell getting booed out of NRG Stadium. It ended with the overreaching Brady leaning in to listen to some old fella’s question.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2017 06:57 pm
The Texas Rangers are now looking for Brady's missing shirt!
0 Replies