Can We Still Work?

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:47 pm
I know I have posted things several times before but I really am having some marrital problems and the only way I can get them out of my head is to talk to someone about them.
I had a talk with my husband the other day about how he has not treated my like a husband would treat his new wife. He isn't excited about it at all, he acts like it was a shotgun wedding or something which it wasn't. Though we are young (both 21) we still knew that we wanted to get married. The problem I am having is this:
I am a very giving and understanding person. I have given him everything he has ever wanted. I give him his space, his boys nights, I let him join a frat...the list goes on. But every time I ask him to give me something in return, its always excuses or "i'll try" or "a person can't change over night." He always is making up excuses as to why he can't be kind or caring or loving or understanding or compasionate. It's always something. The new thing that I have been asking him for is to treat my like a husband. You know, when a husband comes home a kisses his wife and is glad to be home to see her.
I have been asking for this since july and still have not recieved it. Tonight, he told me that he was going out with our friends (we have the same friends) and that I am not allowed to come. This is coming from the man who just got back on sunday from an all weekend frat house vacation all boys night camping trip for three days. I give him everything he wants...guys nights, drunk nights, movie nights with the guys, hooters nights, and occasionally he will bring me to a party.
I am waiting for him to get home to tell him about how sick I am of always giving to him and never recieving anything in return.

So the question is...can we still make it? Is there anythign I can do to save the marriage?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 585 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 03:11 am
Hi kitkat_bar
Hi kitkat_bar:

Your question: Can we still work?

Answer: Yes.

I recommend that you study the articles / lessons on the MARRIAGE BUILDERS website.

You are probably a jumble of emotions right now because marriage isn't exactly what you expected. Your husband is still acting like a single man (of the "animal house" variety); he's not validating your feelings and that must be hurtful. The articles on the marriage builders website might help you to gain some perspective and will give you some valuable tools to help you make your marriage work.

Building a great marriage: BASIC CONCEPTS (Love Bank, Instincts & Habits, Emotional Needs, Love Busters, Giver & Taker, etc.)

You might also benefit from researching "effective communication" on the internet. Both you and your husband need to learn how to communicate effectively in order to resolve all the issues that are going to arise during your marriage.
0 Replies