Heaven

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:31 am
Which one is better? (1) or (2)?

(1) the heaven of promoting products is the tri-win between manufacturers, sellers and costomers.
(2) the smartest approach of pushing sales is based on win-win cooperations among the manufacturer, marketing channels and customers.

Also, please improve them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 608 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Wy

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 12:43 pm
I like #2. "The heaven of ... " and "tri-win" both sound awkward to me.

Quote:
(2) the smartest approach of pushing sales is based on win-win cooperations among the manufacturer, marketing channels and customers.

might be improved like this:

The smartest approach to pushing sales is based on win-win cooperation between the manufacturer, the marketing channels and the customers.

I know, I know, between is only two and among is more than two, but it just sounds better to me. I guess I visualize a triangle, with cooperation running back and forth along the sides -- between two of these elements at a time.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 05:41 pm
Quote:
The smartest approach to pushing sales is based on win-win cooperation between the manufacturer, the marketing channels and the customers.

I know, I know, between is only two and among is more than two, but it just sounds better to me. I guess I visualize a triangle, with cooperation running back and forth along the sides -- between two of these elements at a time.

It is fine to do that...but in that case you'll want 'cooperation' to be plural.

In any case, this sentence does not really seem to be asserting any particular approach, so I'm not sure what you are trying to say, Oristar.

Quote:
1) the heaven of promoting products is the tri-win between manufacturers, sellers and costomers.

Ah. Try this...

The great thing about a market economy is that the manufacturers, the venders, and the customers all benefit.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 06:57 pm
Stuh, your sentence is better. But pluralize cooperation? I cooperate, they cooperate, we cooperate. Ants and bees and butterflies cooperate. He cooperates, but that's not plural.

Vendors, customers, and manufacturers cooperates? No.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:22 pm
Cooperation is a noun, therefore it can be plural.

You specifically stated that you were talking about 3 different cooperations (notice the plurality) betwen 2 people from a set of 3 people.

Therefore, since you are talking about more than one cooperation, you need to make it plural.

Trust me...

Your most recent reply is a completely different sentence.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 08:00 pm
Thanks, Wy and Stuh.

How about changing "great thing" to "best thing"? In original Chinese sentence, it refers to "the best situation" is "tri-win"(awkward word!)
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 07:15 am
Hi Oristar,
"best thing" would be fine.

I still don't know how to pluralize cooperates. Cooperate is a verb, and as far as I know the singular and the plural are both cooperate. Cooperates is the second person singular...
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 09:35 am
Quote:
I still don't know how to pluralize cooperates. Cooperate is a verb, and as far as I know the singular and the plural are both cooperate. Cooperates is the second person singular...

Yes, cooperate is a verb and it cannot be plural.

However, this is not the word that we are talking about, you did not use that word...

you used cooperation which is a noun and can and should be plural in this situation

(bolding used to show emphasis)
0 Replies