What Should I Do?

Gems

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:20 am
Hiya all Very Happy I'm new here and new to forums and could do with some advice. Thanks in advance for all advice recieved Smile

Recently I've exchanged a few messages with an old ex boyfriend from my past. This guy was my 'first love' and he traced me through an equivilant of Classmates.com!!

Brief history of 'our' relationship.

This is a guy I met when he was only 18 and I was 19!! We had an on-off relationship for 10 long years and at one point were engaged to be married! I broke off our relationship because there were no signs of committment towards marriage on his part and we both went our seperate ways. He ended up marrying someone else (I suspect because she got pregnant) and so he did the decent thing and married her. However and a few months after he married her, I'd bumped into him and he told me that he'd always love me, how he still wished he could be with me, etc, etc. Because he was married, I told him that it was out of the question......even though I still loved this guy!! I moved on, met someone else, got married and then moved away..........

These days I am single........my marriage of 8 years did not work out and we seperated a year ago!! This guy however, is still married and has three kids.....but I feel that perhaps all of these years he has still carried a burning torch for me, else why would he have traced me through a website??

He has recently asked me if I would meet up with him and I'm not sure what to do? My head tells me 'NO' because I could really do without the hassles of being involved with a married guy and I KNOW that if I did go and meet him, an affair would result!!! But the temptation to go and meet him is 'GREAT'!!

I keep thinking to myself, why does he want to see me now and after all this time? Why am I good enough for him now, yet I wasn't obviously good enough for him back then, hence he would have married me? If he is simply bored or unhappy in his marriage, then why come looking for me after all of these years and when he would likely have been able to find a 'bit on the side' and something to relieve his boredom/unhappiness, closer to home. I live a long, long way from him now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,011 • Replies: 18
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:30 am
Re: What Should I Do?
Gems wrote:
He has recently asked me if I would meet up with him and I'm not sure what to do? My head tells me 'NO' because I could really do without the hassles of being involved with a married guy and I KNOW that if I did go and meet him, an affair would result!!! But the temptation to go and meet him is 'GREAT'!!

They have three children. Stop thinking of yourself and say no. You know it is wrong.

Tell him that as long as he is married then it is out of the question. It isn't fair to his wife and it isn't fair their children.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:32 am
Yep. Listen to that head of yours.
0 Replies

Gems

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:48 am
lol, yeah, I'm 'definitely' listening to the head believe me and that's why I've been putting off meeting him, even though the temptation is great!

He says he wants to meet as friends, but I know that even if I go and meet him as a friend, it would develop into something more. I suspect that he's not just looking for a 'friendship' but to perhaps pick up where we left off and I wouldn't trust myself not to succomb Sad
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:52 am
Quote:
He says he wants to meet as friends,

Sure he does. And I have a great piece of land a little south of Homestead, Florida, that I would sell you, cheap! Laughing

This guy wants it both ways. If you are a smart cookie, you would run like the wind. Only trouble and heartache can come from a relationship with him.
0 Replies

Gems

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:53 am
Re: What Should I Do?
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Gems wrote:
Stop thinking of yourself and say no. You know it is wrong.

If I thought 'solely' of myself, then I would have had an affair with him a few months after he first married this woman, when he first came onto me!!!
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:56 am
So let's see if I've got this. You KNOW (caps yours) that if you meet him it will result in an affair.
So the question is: would anyone advise you to have an affair with a guy who is married to someone else and who has three kids. Call me a Puritan, but I'm thinking: no.

That much you knew before you even asked.

But what really seems to be troubling you is the fact that this guy is still after you. Why, you ask. Can't be lust -- he could have satisfied that with an affair closer to home. Can't be a passing fancy -- he went to all this trouble. Could it be... LOVE?

Well, so what if it is? (Not that I think is, mind you.) You should face reality, even if he won't. That train has left the station.

Wait for the next one.
0 Replies

Runamuck

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:58 am
He is looking for a booty call..
0 Replies

Gems

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 10:10 am
George wrote:
So let's see if I've got this. You KNOW (caps yours) that if you meet him it will result in an affair.
So the question is: would anyone advise you to have an affair with a guy who is married to someone else and who has three kids. Call me a Puritan, but I'm thinking: no.

I knew that 'nobody' would have advised I go and meet him.....affairs are WRONG I know that!

I came here looking for others to try and dissuade me from meeting him!!

But this is a guy from my past, who though married now, is a guy that I also had a 'long' relationship with. He was my 'best friend', 'my lover', 'my confidante', etc....... I feel a strong affinity with him because I have known him for so long.........22 years in fact!!! This is why the temptation is great to go and meet him Sad
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 10:13 am
the difference between being right or wrong isn't in whether or not you are tempted. It is what you do with your temptation. Turn around and walk away. You know what to do. You didn't need to ask anyone, you already knew.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 10:22 am
It's also tempting to find out what's happened to people, e. g. is he still cute? Etc.

A guy from my past contacted me a couple of years ago, through Classmates. After 9/11, he kind of reassessed his life and was terrified that I had died (I am from New York and worked in law, it was certainly possible that I'd get a job in the WTC). When he was able to contact me, he seemed relieved but it struck me he was also looking for more, so I was sure to tell him that I am happily married (which I am). At the time, he was single. That changed the conversation, and we exchanged some nice emails for a few months. I lost touch with him again when he had bariatric surgery. Frankly, now I'm the one to wonder if he is no longer among the living.

But that was it, and I am not pursuing it. While I don't want him to be dead, of course, it's not compelling to me to run out and find out for sure.

In your situation, the fellow is doing the pursuing but he is not free to do so. And now he is pushing for a meeting. Even a meeting as friends is inevitably going to turn into something else. You meet, you hug, the hug takes longer than expected, and suddenly those old feelings return and the wife and kids are forgotten.

You're a convenient person for him to contact, as there was an attraction at one time, and you are getting along through email. And, you're currently unattached. So the only thing standing in the way are his pesky wife and kids.

If you meet, something will happen. If you care at all about marriage - even if you don't give a damn about his wife and kids - you should stay away. And, if you care at all about any sort of future with this guy, that's another reason to stay away unless he ends his current marriage. Is that harsh? Yes, of course it is, but you don't need the agita of being the other woman, and his kids don't need the baggage of a divorce complicated by an affair.

And, if he really wants to end his marriage, he should be doing so because that marriage is over - not because you might be available. After all, if he ends his marriage over you, he could end up resenting you. Don't let that happen. Tell him that you don't go around meeting with married men, no matter who they are.

And mean it.
0 Replies

Gems

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 10:29 am
Kristie wrote:
the difference between being right or wrong isn't in whether or not you are tempted. It is what you do with your temptation. Turn around and walk away. You know what to do. You didn't need to ask anyone, you already knew.

Of course the best thing to do, is to walk away, I'm not dumb, I do know that!

It's finding and maintaining the strength to do so!!

I thought that by posting and sharing my problem, there would be others here who would put me on and hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow......and they are making a pretty good job of it so far! Smile
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 10:35 am
The strength that you will need for this isn't going to come from anyone else. It is going to come from inside of you. We can shout at you until we're blue in the face but ultimatly it will be you who makes the decision on whether or not you remain on the straight and narrow. Everything anyone is saying you appear to know. So, what part of us repeating it makes it easier for you? Repeating it to yourself seems more like a workable option. Just my opinion though.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 10:53 am
Haven't you changed and grown as a person in the last 8+ years? You are not the woman he remembers--and neither is he the man you remember.

I suspect that his wife "doesn't understand" him. Even if this old boyfriend makes the first and second moves, you'd be the Homewrecker.

A lot has changed since the two of you were together--including those three kids. Lover Boy has picked up a good bit of baggage since you knew him.

Do you think you're the first "other" woman he's been sentimental about during his marriage? Remember, if he'd cheat on his wife (and kids) he'd cheat on you.

Stay firm.
0 Replies

Gems

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 10:54 am
jespah wrote:
It's also tempting to find out what's happened to people, e. g. is he still cute? Etc.

That's true. I do think that part of the temptation to meet him is down to the fact that I'm curious about him. Does he still look the same - is he as cute as he once was? Is he still the 'funny and jokey' guy he once was? The 'loving and tender' guy he was? I wonder how life has been treating him all of these years, how his family (mother, aunts, etc) are doing, (I was very close to his family at one time). All kinds of things about him are going through my head at this time. He was a guy that I loved and I loved him with all of my being.....there's nothing I wouldn't have done for him at one time and I have yet to meet a man who even comes close to the man he was Sad I never ever met any man who made me feel the way he did..........I doubt I ever will Sad

Quote:
A guy from my past contacted me a couple of years ago, through Classmates. After 9/11, he kind of reassessed his life and was terrified that I had died (I am from New York and worked in law, it was certainly possible that I'd get a job in the WTC). When he was able to contact me, he seemed relieved but it struck me he was also looking for more, so I was sure to tell him that I am happily married (which I am). At the time, he was single. That changed the conversation, and we exchanged some nice emails for a few months. I lost touch with him again when he had bariatric surgery. Frankly, now I'm the one to wonder if he is no longer among the living.

But that was it, and I am not pursuing it. While I don't want him to be dead, of course, it's not compelling to me to run out and find out for sure.

I'm not the only one it's happened to then Smile

Quote:
In your situation, the fellow is doing the pursuing but he is not free to do so. And now he is pushing for a meeting. Even a meeting as friends is inevitably going to turn into something else. You meet, you hug, the hug takes longer than expected, and suddenly those old feelings return and the wife and kids are forgotten.

You're a convenient person for him to contact, as there was an attraction at one time, and you are getting along through email. And, you're currently unattached. So the only thing standing in the way are his pesky wife and kids.

If you meet, something will happen. If you care at all about marriage - even if you don't give a damn about his wife and kids - you should stay away. And, if you care at all about any sort of future with this guy, that's another reason to stay away unless he ends his current marriage. Is that harsh? Yes, of course it is, but you don't need the agita of being the other woman, and his kids don't need the baggage of a divorce complicated by an affair.

And, if he really wants to end his marriage, he should be doing so because that marriage is over - not because you might be available. After all, if he ends his marriage over you, he could end up resenting you. Don't let that happen. Tell him that you don't go around meeting with married men, no matter who they are.

And mean it.

Thanks so much!! Your advice and wise words means a lot to me! Smile
0 Replies

Gems

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 11:06 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Haven't you changed and grown as a person in the last 8+ years? You are not the woman he remembers--and neither is he the man you remember.

I suspect that his wife "doesn't understand" him. Even if this old boyfriend makes the first and second moves, you'd be the Homewrecker.

A lot has changed since the two of you were together--including those three kids. Lover Boy has picked up a good bit of baggage since you knew him.

Do you think you're the first "other" woman he's been sentimental about during his marriage? Remember, if he'd cheat on his wife (and kids) he'd cheat on you.

Stay firm.

Thanks!!

I know he won't be the same man, as I am far from being the same woman. I'm tending to picture him the way he was though, good times we shared, etc, etc, because I havn't seen him in so long and because it's hard for me to picture him as being any other as what he once was. I just wish I'd never logged back into that website, but seeing the email from him was the last thing I was expecting Sad

I don't know whether or not there have been other women in his life whilst he's been married, but you are right of course in that if he'd cheat on his wife, he'd cheat on me too eventually when the novelty wore off.

Thanks, all of this advice is helping me a lot and is much appreciated.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:04 am
Hey, it's what we do here, Gems. And if it hasn't been said before, welcome to Able2know. :-D
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:07 am
Yes, welcome aboard. Sounds like you are going to the right thing. Way to go!
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 03:25 pm
Ahhh, sweet temptation. I'm glad you are listening to these very wise folks and daring to say no. I don't think you'll regret your choice in the long run after stepping back and looking at the big picture. Put yourself in his wife's shoes for one minute and see how you feel. What you both shared back then may have been wonderful, but it was "back then". Remember those good times with fondness and nostalgia but know in reality that we can never go back. Who knows, maybe one of these days you might run into him and his wife at a class reunion. Then, in the words of Garth Brooks, you might "be thanking God for unanswered prayers"
0 Replies