strange phenomenon about litters in words

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 07:13 pm
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Fcuknig amzanig
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 874 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Lash

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 07:30 pm
I thought we'd been subconsciously trained by typos.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 07:34 pm
Re: strange phenomenon about litters in words
Neoquixote wrote:
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. **** amzanig

turly hpoe fro teh dlysecix ni lal fo su... Very Happy
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 07:45 pm
And willow has just exemplified the necessity of keeping the first and last letters in order!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:21 pm
And what about words like "form" and "from?"

Also, some folks with organic brain damage can have trouble with "closure." That is, if a w rd is mis ing a let er, they hav trouble fill ng in the g p.
0 Replies

Ewood27

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 03:25 pm
At school many years ago I developed a personal shorthand for quick note-taking by omitting vowels except at either end of words. It worked remarkably well. Or as I might have said, "At schl mny yrs ago I dvlpd a prsnl shrthnd fr qck nte-tkng by omttng vwls excpt at eithr end of wrds. It wrkd rmrkbly wll."

I posted a similar answer in another Q & A forum, and several people commented that they had no trouble deciphering the gibberish.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 03:37 pm
The only word I didn't understand in the original post was ****. Oh wait, I did. I suppose the theory may also point to how one can learn to speed-read as well. However, it's incredibly annoying to read, and is really only useful as a theory in English (that would be my guess). What if say, in Chinese, they mixed up the characters in a sentence, just for fun? How would that be read and interpereted?

Ewood, I had a similar system myself, but I was the only one reading the stuff. In correspondence with others, I took a different approach. Wink It's not so much a matter of whether or not one can interperet the gibberish, but how it looks professionally.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 03:39 pm
Mind you, I do like the concept of "litters in words". I have a picture of words giving birth to multiple wordlets.
0 Replies