thanks a lot
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,130 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 07:10 pm
I suppose, "C. Delude" but I don't think that is a very good answer.

One baits a trap by making it very, very attractive so that the sucker bites. "Delude" is a kind word for "fools" or "suckers"--too kind.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 07:15 pm
They all suck. It should be "repel."

I mean, delude may be closer to a synonym. If bait is "to draw in" or "lure"--which of those is even close to the opposite? Maybe release is close, but not a good one.

Release.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 07:47 pm
release is the best antonym for the bait (verb)...
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 08:40 pm
I don't like any of them, but in the sense that to bait is to draw in, to release would be to let out-hence "release" is my choice.
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:51 pm
i like none of the given ones eithers, but this is in a test. hmm...
and, bait can be defined as to attack by bitting and tearing, or to attack in speech or writing, in this sense, the antonym might be fortify.
so puzzled, there are so many definitions for bait, and none of them can lead to a good answer.
Crying or Very sad Mad
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:53 pm
edit
0 Replies

Mister Micawber

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 07:27 am
'To bait' is to harass; 'to disarm' (B) is to win over. These are antonymous actions.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:13 am
Quote:
'To bait' is to harass; 'to disarm' (B) is to win over. These are antonymous actions.

not really...

if someone was baiting another person to strike them or insult them back, this would be harassment...but baiting does not imply this. they could just as easily give them "bait" to find the solution to a problem or to fall in love with them.

to disarm is also not really to win over...it means to take away someone's weapons. traditionally this is referring to conventional weapons, but it could also refer to someone's evidence in an argument or any other kind of power or influence which could be thought of as a metaphorical weapon.

it does not imply the method of disarmanent, though...winning someone over is only 1 method of disarming them, you could also trick them for example.

so these really aren't antonyms, to assume so would make the converse error (http://www.csc.tntech.edu/~srini/DM/chapters/review1.3.html) twice.
0 Replies

Mister Micawber

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 03:20 pm
Tell me, Stu, do you ever look at a dictionary? Let me recommend Webster's Collegiate for 'bait' (definition 2, esp. 2a), and 'disarm' (definition 1, esp. 1a).
0 Replies