Left Eggs On Kitchen Counter For 16 Hours-Safe To Eat?

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 05:14 pm
@chai2,
Sounds like work.I just want his Mini. I love them little bastids.
Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 06:25 pm
@farmerman,
Count me in too about liking mini-Coopers. I like the one that's dressed like a tuxedo.

or the blue with racing stripe or the aquamarine.
farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 06:27 pm
@Ragman,
I rented a mini and a Fiat Abarth last summer to see them in action. They both are a lotta fun. The Fiat is waay peppeir an is a fast sumbitch, but the mini corners like a Porsche.
Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 06:32 pm
@farmerman,
Fiat still leaves a bad taste in my mouth from way back in the 70s and 80s when they flooded the northeast with 124 or 128 models. they really were not dependable.

Those new Fiat 500s are just too small for my taste.

Love the Minis cornering.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 06:41 pm
@Ragman,
There was a mini cooper business on one of the last times I was back in LA, a few blocks from our old place. Sigh.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:19 pm
@farmerman,
Those little minis are taking over the neighbourhood. There are two cream/black ones on our block and one around the corner. We kept wondering why Joanne was parking on the next street when ... oh ... it's another one of those little things. Cute.
TomTomBinks

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Of course, they're safe to eat... if you're planning on cooking them thoroughly. Oh, and not eating the uncleaned shells.

I can bet if you boil the eggs, even the shells would also make the shells edible as well. Not sure why you'd eat them. But....

This is unrelated to the OP but since you brought it up, I ate an eggshell earlier this year. I had brought boiled eggs for my lunch at work and before I peeled my second egg I got to thinking about our ancient ancestors and how they must have eaten eggs sometimes. Did they peel their eggs? I thought and then No of course not because they wouldn't have boiled eggs, they would have eaten them raw. If the eggs was small enough they would have just popped them into the mouth and crunched them up. So I cracked the egg on the table and bit right in. It was unpleasant, very crunchy (which you almost never get with eggs), but I got through it. The shell is just calcium carbonate and would quickly dissolve in the stomach, kind of like eating an ant-acid tablet. I probably won't do this again, but having done it has in a very small way brought me a little closer to my ancient ancestors. It's all part of the WWAD? philosophy. "What Would Australopithecus Do?"
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 01:27 am
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:
Did they peel their eggs? I thought and then No of course not because they wouldn't have boiled eggs, they would have eaten them raw. If the eggs was small enough they would have just popped them into the mouth and crunched them up.
Well, at least about 350,000 years ago, they knew how to boil and peel eggs - but they had wooden throwing spears as well. So besides horse meat, eggs have been the (seasonal) food of at least some people from the Palaeolithic Age (here: archaeologic findings at Schöningen/Lower Saxony/Germany)
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 04:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
How did they do their toast?
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 04:37 am
@ehBeth,
I fell in love with minis after I saw "The Italian Job" (the remake), with Marky Mark and Charleze Theron.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 06:00 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
How did they do their toast?
Toast wasn't known here - they had the eggs with pumpernickel.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 06:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
ahhh, clever people those antedeluvians
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 06:45 am
@Blickers,
Do they float?
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 10:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I guess I'll have to try horse... My father ate horse meat a few times, said it was OK. They used to sell a horsemeat canned dog food here many years ago. I haven't seen it on the store shelves in 30 years or more. I wonder what they're doing with all the horse meat these days?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 10:26 am
@TomTomBinks,
We've special horse-butcheries here (at least, in a few regions of Germany).
[A quite famous German dish - "Sauerbraten" (sour roast, the cut of meat is marinated for several days (recipes vary from three to ten days) in a mixture of vinegar or wine, water, herbs, spices, and seasonings) is traditionally made of horse meat.]
TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 10:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That sounds delicious! I think Americans these days would be horrified to hear of horse meat being used for anything. There are a lot of horses here (and elsewhere) and every one of them is going to die. I know that the meat must be used somehow. I'll Google it.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 10:57 am
@TomTomBinks,
never ate horse. Id try it if it isnt too tough.
TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 11:42 am
@farmerman,
I just read about the tangled back and forth legislation regarding horse meat in the US. I fear the only way for you to try any horse is to butcher your own. The next time I talk to an Amish I'll ask what they do with their old horses.
I've never owned a horse and so don't have any special attachment to them. If it was on my plate I'd eat it. Of course the experience would be more complete if I could eat a chunk of horse roasted on an open fire on the tip of the spear that I just killed it with, along with my grease and soot stained companions!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 11:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Don't tell my real-life best friend, but ... I really like horsemeat and horsemeat sausage. Both the Dutch and the Danish butchers in my hometown used to make excellent horsemeat sausage. Even better than venison sausage.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 12:11 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
excellent horsemeat sausage. Even better than venison sausage.
There's a world of difference in the taste of both - if you refer to "bratwurst". Smoked and air-dried horsemeat sausages ("Mettwurst") aren't bad at all.
0 Replies