Why Won't Democrats Fight

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 01:32 am
bashtoreth wrote:
I think it's interesting to note from those pie charts that a higher percentage of those deployed since Sept. 11, 2001, in a combat zone, would vote for Bush, than those who were not. Seem backwards to anyone?
Not if you don't buy into the far left propaganda. It clearly illustrates who the men and woman doing the dirty work trust. Frankly, that's good enough for me. I'm back in the Bush camp after a brief stop at undecided. I still think he's a nut... but at least he's a predictable nut.

Complete agreement Lusatian.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 01:37 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I'm back in the Bush camp after a brief stop at undecided.

Not because the military vote goes to him I hope, the military always votes republican, always has always will. It goes for any country, military votes right of center.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 01:46 am
Perhaps if there were records of military vote in other elections we could compare.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 01:55 am
Einherjar wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I'm back in the Bush camp after a brief stop at undecided.

Not because the military vote goes to him I hope, the military always votes republican, always has always will. It goes for any country, military votes right of center.
Yes, I've read that... but the fact remains; those men and women are dodging bullets on my behalf and if a significant majority of them want Bush to be President while they're in combat than so do I. You have to admit, 2/3s is very significant, considering all the controversy.

Do tell if you encounter those stats. I'm curious too.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 02:05 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Yes, I've read that... but the fact remains; those men and women are dodging bullets on my behalf and if a significant majority of them want Bush to be President while they're in combat than so do I. You have to admit, 2/3s is very significant, considering all the controversy.

Do tell if you encounter those stats. I'm curious too.

Well, I don't think the US millitary usually votes more than one third democratic. I think I saw some stats on the military vote in some article about the 2000 elections once... Long time ago though.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 02:23 am
Here's a source:
http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:1W4Wf75VRCAJ:http://www.motherjones.com/news/dailymojo/2004/08/08_523.html+%22military%20vote%22%2Bstatistics

Quote:
The goal for Democrats is to cut into the typical Republican advantage among overseas votes which, according to the International Herald Tribune, usually comes to about 3-to-1 thanks to the military vote.

Assuming that nonmilitary overseas voters vote fifty fifty that leaves the military with more than 75 % republican voters. If these numbers check out the millitary is voting more democratic in the current election than they usually do.

I'll see if I can google up some more
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 03:11 am
Quote:

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:4l5FNsDiwHIJ:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5519172/site/newsweek/+%22military%20vote%22%2Bstatistics

Bush support may have risen since, the 82% in 2000 is the interesting number.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 03:20 am
Sorry, thats all I can find. Should be enough to convince you that the military doesn't vote more republican than usual this year though, rather the opposite is true.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 08:41 am
You people are continuing to argue a NON FACT as if it was a fact. The pie charts posted by Lusatian while nice and pretty are nothing more than pretty and maybe kind of nice. They have no scientific basis that can be used to extrapolate anything other than the person choosing the colors in them has a fairly decent eye for color.

There is NO reference anywhere with the charts as to the method used to create the charts. As far as the charts are concerned, they mean NOTHING scientifically. I can make up my own charts and claim they mean anything I want them to.

Lusatian, you continue on as if these figures mean what you claim they do. They do NOT. It only shows your complete ignorance of scientific polling and statistics. And those of you that AGREE with Lusatian appear just as stupid as he does.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 08:48 am
Well, Lusatian certainly is not stupid, parados (and welcome to A2K, by the way).

Certainly his interpretation of the data (accurate or not) is not something you or I can agree with, and is probably only slightly meaningful (in the macro view) if we did.

In any event Craven has (as usual) dissected the point and left its entrails to dry in the sun.

(Nice always to read the fraternal thrust-and-parry between you two, gentlemen.)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:06 am
I appreciate the effort, Einherjar, but I think you may have missed my point. It is those currently serving who's opinions I'm considering. If they were voting Kerry, than so would I. The past or variance makes little difference to me for this rationale.

Parados, you are wrong. Opposition, who I respect tremendously have accepted that data without hesitation. Unless you can provide opposing facts your exclamation is only a "sez me". Since I don't know you, and have no reason to trust in your expertise, that carries no weight at all. Oh, and false accusations of ignorance and stupidity don't reflect well on the accuser. Idea
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:31 am
Lusatian wrote:
Joe Republican wrote:
It's as simple as this, money. Republicans like to use government money to invest in military programs, regardless of cost. Star Wars ring a bell? Democrats like to focus the money, hold companies accountable and not give money away willy nilly to large defense contractors.

Republican programs end up like the F22. . . $80Billion to develop and $140Million a piece, where democrat programs, like the JSF, have a price tag of $15Million development and $25million cost. The difference in the F-22 and the JSF is minimal at best.

They then hear their higher ups talking about how the Republicans are for the military. I've witnessed this first hand through experience. I would be curious though what the %'s are for inlisted vs officers.

Joe, Joe. Obviously your family "history" in the DOD leaves a bit to be desired. You compare the F-22 and the JSF as if that indicates a parallel. Perhaps while you websurfed you failed to read the rest of the short news bulletins the DOD were releasing. For starters any comparison between the two is akin to the juxtaposition of a tug and a sailboat. The F-22 is a superiority fighter, while the JSF is a strike fighter as its name happens to suggest. While this most likely means nothing to you, it makes a world of difference on the ground. An F-22 is an air-to-air aircraft designed to eliminate any fighter from any air force in the world in a theater war. The JSF is a air-to-ground bird destined to replace the A-10 Warthog, among others. Since air-to-air combat is so much more complex and reliant on technological differences, the cost of producing a next generation fighter is far higher than one to produce a weapon against a target the never changes, i.e. things on the ground.

Seriously, air to air combat with what? What is up there, or even remotely close to us in terms of air superiority? Did you know the House actually wanted to cancel the F-22 program because of the bloated cost? The money required for one F-22 would bring us something like 4 F-16s 2 JSFs and a C-130.

Where is the "advantage" of having the F-22? Air-ait combat? There is nothing out there right now that can match the F-16. We already had the development costs complete and the F-22 could be restarted as soon as the need was present. The bloated costs was not worth it, not one bit. There is no reason to stay 20 years and two generations ahead of the competition, there just isn't. Once you know somebody else is developing a fighter, the F-22 can be ramped up again. And believe me, they would not put in the higher, bloated cost, they would reduce the costs because they would need the contract.

Hell, It's one of the largest beneficiaries of republican administrations, the air industry. Look at Boeing and Lockheed Martin, look at just HOW much money they receive in government money.

An air force official was just sentenced to 9 months in jail for illegally giving Boeing $23Billion in contracts, then working for them. It's crap like this that goes on all the time.

Quote:

A federal prosecutor in Virginia has been investigating allegations that Druyun simultaneously conducted negotiations on the tanker deal for the Air Force while negotiating with Boeing for a job when she retired after 33 years with the Air Force.

"The defendant did so, in her view, as a 'parting gift to Boeing' and because of her desire to ingratiate herself with Boeing, her future employer," the statement of facts said.

Druyun also admitted givingBoeing (BA: Research, Estimates) what she considered to be proprietary data from its European rival Airbus, majority owned by EADS, during the tanker discussions. Airbus had sought to compete to provide the Air Force tankers.

the cost of leasing a Boeing 767 tanker is greater than the cost of buying one at $138.5 million each. The deal, as presently structured, would have the government lease 20 of the tankers and buy 80.

[/i]

http://www.military.com/NewContent/0,13190,Galloway_033104,00.html

http://money.cnn.com/2004/10/01/news/fortune500/boeing_druyun.reut/

Quote:

Another point of interest is that the F-22 was developed and fielded almost entirely during the Clinton Administration. Guess that "history" hasn't helped much.

Even though Clinton was president during the build, he continuously tried to get spending un der controll on the F-22. Here's a excerpt from "Newsmax" on Clinton's military policy. They of course call bloated spending cuts not funding, but you get the picture

Quote:
Many of the weapons that the U.S. should be fielding now are still in development because of Clinton delays and under-funding.

The Clinton administration delayed the V-22 Osprey, F-22 Raptor, the Joint Strike Fighter and the Comanche attack helicopter. In addition, the U.S. military is still trying to make up critical shortages in the Milstar space communications program.

One more, this time with the republican controlled house voting to put the program on hold.

Quote:
Battle of the F-22
For a time, the Air Force and Lockheed Martin thought 1999 might be a quiet year for the F-22. Hearings in Congress had been tame. The Balkan War had demonstrated anew the value of advanced airpower. Lawmakers were talking about USAF budget increases, not cuts. As the key to future air dominance, the Raptor was in a strong position, officials concluded.

How wrong they were. In midsummer, the fighter program suddenly was thrown into turmoil as the House, following the lead of a small band of defense appropriators, struck a major blow. It voted July 23 to deny $1.8 billion needed to buy the first six F-22s and, at the same time, put the fighter on research-only life support. The F-22 soon found itself in a fight for survival.

The attack on the F-22 came as a thunderous surprise to Pentagon and USAF officials. Leaders of the Congressional defense establishment were similarly stunned. Seldom if ever had such a limited number of lawmakers moved so swiftly, successfully, and secretively against a major program so close to production.

"Maybe we should have seen it coming, but nobody did," maintained Tom Burbage, president of Lockheed Martin Aeronautical Systems, the F-22's prime contractor. "We thought this would be the first year that we wouldn't have a battle." Instead, Burbage noted, it turned out to be "the biggest we've ever had."

The battle for the F-22 quickly shifted to a House-Senate conference of negotiators charged with ironing out differences in their defense appropriation bills. The two sides started out far apart. Unlike the House, the Senate had fully funded the F-22-a fighter designed to be stealthy, maneuverable, supersonic without use of afterburner, and potent in air combat or ground attack.

http://www.afa.org/magazine/Sept1999/0999f22.asp

Quote:

Also, I would think the %'s of "inlisted" vs officers would be very similar to what it is now as careerists whether "inlisted" or officer think rather alike

I would also like to see the same poll, as I posted. The inlisted officer I feel, would be much more democratic then the career military officer. I still think republicans contorl the majority, but I also don't think it's anywhere near the %s the topic said it was.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:43 am
Don't go confusing with hard facts and logic, Joe. Geez ... It's enough to belittle liberals as though they were pliable clay to be molded into all purpose foils of the right.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 12:23 pm
Sidebar to edgar: was I supposed to help you with some research on SS?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 12:49 pm
Einherjar wrote:
Actually it is very simple, republicans are conformists. Their focus on being tough on crime (those who do not conform), the inrollerance for deviance (among some of them) and the tendency to be cought up in religion are all conformist traits. The army is a very conformist organisation, in which any individualist would be bound to feel out of place.

Quite perceptive, I would say.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 02:06 pm
It's okay, PDiddie. I have resolved my issue (and gotten resigned).
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 02:54 pm
OCCOM writes
Quote:
Parados, you are wrong. Opposition, who I respect tremendously have accepted that data without hesitation. Unless you can provide opposing facts your exclamation is only a "sez me". Since I don't know you, and have no reason to trust in your expertise, that carries no weight at all. Oh, and false accusations of ignorance and stupidity don't reflect well on the accuser.

OK. lets discuss how data is to be interpreted in a poll. This is hardly a "sez me". Any class on statistics will tell you this or you can find the same information on Zogby or Gallup polling sites. (It IS ignorance if you do not understand the scientific method or scientific polling.)

The first rule of any statistical analysis is that your polling sample MUST be random. Without a true random sample the data you acquire will be skewed drastically. So, when examining a poll the first thing you always have to look at is how the random sample was acquired. A true random sample means that everyone in the set you are sampling must have an equal opportunity to be in the sampling. Without that equal chance then you can't extrapolate the data to the entire set.

In the case of the lovely charts that Lusatain posted a link to there is NO REFERENCE to the sample, to the methods of achieving a random chance for sampling nor any other mention of the methods used. Without a single mention of the methods then the validity of the charts can not be SCIENTIFICALLY judged. The idea behind SCIENTIFIC polling is that the methods should be known so that anyone can repeat the method. Since the methods are not shown then the charts are meaningless under the scientific method since they can't be duplicated or checked.

Based on what Lusatain posted earlier we can ASSUME that these charts are based on the email survey conducted by "The Military Times". With a little research it is easy to find the methods used to get these figures. The Military Times sent out emails to 31,000 of its subscribers and got back about 4000 responses. These 4000 responses make up the information they published. Since we know for a fact that not all military members are subscribers to "The Military Times' that means we can NOT extrapolate any response to be indicative of the overall military since every person in the military did not have an equal chance to be included in the sample. This is a classic failing in the use of statistics, trying to extrapolate findings to a set that was NOT used to get your random sample. For instance If I polled 30 of my friends and relatives in the military and 67% of them said they were voting for Kerry I could not apply that to the entire military since my sample was NOT randomly of the entire military. The only conclusion I could make is that my friends and relatives in the military are more for Kerry than for Bush.

The next failure would be to claim it is even indicative of the subscribers of "The Military Times". Again, you have a response structure that was not random. If one side is more motivated to answer in a survey it skews the survey. The key to an accurate sampling for a poll is that you must make every attempt to get an answer out of everyone in your sample. If your "sample" is 31,000 people and only 4,000 respond then your margin of error becomes quite high based on the fact that you only have responses from 12% of your sample.

Scientific polling has existed for over 50 years with some rather dramatic failures in its history. "Dewey defeats Truman" being a prime example and one that changed dramatically the way pollsters polled. The idea behind getting accurate polling is to reduce the factors that can contribute to a bad sample or bad responses. In order to judge the accuracy of the poll you have to know how the random sample was achieved and what questions were asked. For instance would you trust the answers in a poll that asks; "Are you voting for the patriot John Kerry or President Bush who is a traitor and responsible for over 1000 American deaths?" I know I wouldn't.

Now lets examine what "The Military Times" actually says about its poll.
Who you chose for president and why Army Times Oct 11, 2004
Quotes from the Times story on the poll:
Quote:
..the results of the Military Times 2004 Election Survey are not representative of the opinions of the military as a whole..

Quote:

Funny, "The Army Times" agrees with me on this one. You can't use the survey to represent the entire military or even to calculate the views of the readers. Again, I state categorically, Lusatain is misrepresenting this poll by claiming it shows what the military as a whole thinks when he started this thread. Anyone that continues to think it does at this point is no longer ignorant but just plain stupid.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 02:58 pm
It is my opinion that liberals for the most will fight. But they have to be convinced the cause is just. Liberals fought as well as anyone in WWII, for instance. Sure, you can pick out a few exceptions, but you also have examples of conservatives not fighting, notably Cheney and George Bush.
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 03:15 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Joe Republican wrote:
parados wrote:
We can argue all day about members of the military are more or less likely to be Republican but this survey proves nothing one way or the other.

A grunt on the ground in Iraq is not a likely subscriber to the Army Times. In fact the Army Times claims that most of its subscribers are lifers.

Exactly!!!
Exactly wrong. Take a look at the breakdown charts here.

Bill, no offense, but a graph on a military survey, with no methodology listed, is MEANT to be skewed. I want to see the methodology because that's how you figure it out. Maybe they asked only officers, we don't know. Any polling graph which doesn't list its methodology is pantamount to me calling up the DNC and asking them what they're voting %s will be.

The data you provide is coming from a website of the US Marines which is skewed towards republicans to begin with, do you think they'd try to skew the data to promote their beliefs? I do. If you can show me the methodology, I would be willing to look into the matter, but it shows nothing of how the data was taken, so I I can not in good faith believe what it says.

If you can show me the methodology, I may change my mind, but seriously I doubt that the %'s are that high on the ground in Iraq, with enlisted people.

If you want to look at the other side, check out some of these articles written by our soldiers on the ground in Iraq. Granted they are from a biased site, but these are actual letters written by soldiers currently fighting. There's a sh**load of them.

Quote:

Date: Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Subject: From an Iraq War Vet

Mike,

I am a veteran of the war in Iraq, and I wanted to write to thank you for making a film that I believe has opened many eyes in this country to things they were once blind to. When I was deployed to Iraq, I knew we were doing a good thing for the people of Iraq; tyranny and totalitarianism had to be wiped off the slate of progress in Iraq and we were the ones to do it. But after that proverbial eraser comprised of U.S. and coalition forces liberated Iraq, we wondered, "What next?" We also wondered, "Where are all the terrorists? The al Qaeda operatives? The Syrians?" We knew that despite our noble act of freeing the oppressed peoples of Iraq, so many false guises were still being put forth as to other reasons WHY we were there in the first place. Upon hearing of the fall of Saddam Hussein's statue while I was on patrol in southern Iraq, I couldn't help but think "What next? Where do we go from here?" The tyrant had been deposed, the people liberated, but did anyone RE ALLY have any clue as to the next step? Unfortunately for the troops like myself and my brothers-in-arms still serving over there, no one did.

It was as if it was a movie playing out with an open ending; would it be drama, action, or heartbreaking despair? Where was the crescendo, the climax, and most importantly, the stereotypical part in every movie where the loose ends are wrapped up and the story comes to a neat close? I was under the impression that the Bush administration seemed to have a great idea for every single step of the way during Operation Iraqi Freedom, but as to whether I actually believed that a war without a plan would work, no. No way in hell. And while I gained an incredible life experience out of it, I don't know how much I will have to show for it in ten years when it comes to W's "mission accomplished" claim. Will it be another Vietnam, perhaps? Somalia? I wonder whether it will be yet another neo-imperialist action that ends totally in tragedy. At the same time, I see that the aforementioned tragedy has no foreseeable end and is nothing but a long, continuing scene in the "reality T V war" that is being played out before our very eyes.

Sincerely and respectfully,

SPC Stephen Ward

http://www.michaelmoore.com/books-films/willtheyevertrustusagain/

He has made a book out of these letters, an entire book.
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 03:27 pm
parados wrote:

Funny, "The Army Times" agrees with me on this one. You can't use the survey to represent the entire military or even to calculate the views of the readers. Again, I state categorically, Lusatain is misrepresenting this poll by claiming it shows what the military as a whole thinks when he started this thread. Anyone that continues to think it does at this point is no longer ignorant but just plain stupid.

Great post!!! You said what I was trying to say, but my lack of english skills got in the way Smile
0 Replies