"Antibiotic-boosting drug kills superbugs" ?????

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 04:26 am
From New Scientist: Full story here http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996522

"Antibiotic-boosting drug kills superbugs

18:11 15 October 04

A UK company claims to have discovered a compound that renders the MRSA superbug vulnerable to the antibiotic it normally resists.

MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) is defined by its ability to resist the antibiotic methicillin. Like penicillin, methicillin works by blocking bacterial enzymes called PBPs, which normally strengthen cell walls by forming cross links.

The first MRSA strains appeared in 1961, just two years after methicillin was launched. These bacteria got their resistance by picking up the gene for another PBP enzyme, PBP2a, to which methicillin cannot bind.

MRSA strains now cause up to 60% of all "staph" infections in some hospitals. Some MRSA strains are also becoming resistant to other antibiotics - including vancomycin, the antibiotic doctors resort to when nothing else works.

But Michael Levey's team at Pharmaceutica in Worcestershire, UK, may have discovered a way to restore methicillin's killing power. Following on from work done in the 1990s, his team found that certain compounds containing the amino acid glycine greatly increased 20 different MRSA strains' susceptibility to methicillin. The dose needed to kill them dropped from 256 milligrams per litre to just 4 mg/l..........[

But for how long?????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,605 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 04:37 am
dlowan- I am very pleased to hear about this. For many months, my husband suffered from a severe case of MRSA which he acquired in the community. Normally a bacteria that is seen in hospitals, MRSA is becoming prevalent in the US outside of the hospital setting.

After being given 8 infusions of vancomycin, the MRSA reappeared. He was then given 11 infusions of a new drug Cubicin, which was only approved by the US FDA in October 2003.

http://www.cubicin.com/images/cubicin_large_pi.pdf

I do not know if this drug is available outside of the US. Anyhow, the research that you have posted sounds very promising. Thanks for the information!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 04:55 am
Most welcome.

I believe it is only a claim as yet.

Also - one assumes the bugs will develop immunity very fast - although - if it is used very carefully, can this process be slowed down?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 05:00 am
dlowan- My understanding is that we have gotten ourselves into this pickle because of the overuse of antibiotics when unnecessary over the years. When I was younger, it was not uncommon for a doctor to prescribe an antibiotic for a cold..............a cold is a virus, and antibiotics don't work on them. The only time it was appropriate to prescribe an antibiotic, is when there was an indication of a secondary bacterial infection. But patients insisted on them, so the bacteria "found ways" to mutate, and foil the antibiotics.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 05:20 am
Yes - I know - I guess I am wondering if judicious use of this technology might delay the development of bug immunity?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 05:22 am
Not to mention mass antibiotic use in raising livestock - oy veh...

Though - given the cross species thing, I am wondering how relevant that is to development of immunity in bugs affecting humans?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 08:40 am
Quote:
Though - given the cross species thing, I am wondering how relevant that is to development of immunity in bugs affecting humans?

Absent any iron-clad evidence to the contrary, it's very very very relevant. And a bone of contention in the veterinary community.

Quote:
I am wondering if judicious use of this technology might delay the development of bug immunity?

Any use will inevitably lead to resistance eventually. It's a simple numbers game. The key word is "judicious," and it's a tricky game, especially in human medicine. The pressure to please the patient -- to at least make them think that you're doing something proactive -- is very immediate. The danger of overuse of antibiotics, though much greater than the threats posed to most individual patients, isn't sitting in the clinic waiting room tapping its foot.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 08:47 am
If I may digress this is a side effect of the general american paranoia of germs and dirt IMO....you have an immune system and it needs practice we don't go to the doctor for sniffles colds or even the flu...we get in bed or put the cubs in bed and work on the symptoms until the virus runs its course...and we're a healthy bunch squinney's only problem is that she washes her hands with anti bacterial soap every ten seconds.....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 08:54 am
Digress away, man.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 08:58 am
would you agree dog, that if people weren't so paranoid of every little germ and infection and didn't use antibiotics when an aspirin and liquids would do that we might be a little better off?

I promise to stop digressing now.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 09:07 am
I agree Bear.

why are no scientists working on bacteriophages? there are apparently specific antigens to each bacteria, occurring naturally. It is simply a matter of isolating and then reproducing it in sufficient quanitities. The Russians were doing a lot of work on them but funding dried up and from the programme I saw, it looked as though the research would end. (this was pre-MRSA)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 09:18 am
Docs are constantly throwing antibiotics at us. What's interesting though is if I say "we prefer not to" (my best Bartleby impression) they generally say, "oh, OK!" They seem resigned to the fact that mother wants medicine stat, and surprised when one says uh no. Sozlet just had an ear infection, not too bad, treated pain with Motrin and held on to the antibiotic scrip, she was better in about a week. (With very minor pain for the last 4 or 5 days of it. Only one night of really bad pain.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 09:18 am
It ain't digressing! 'Tis a nub of the problem.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 09:19 am
Are there virophages?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 09:27 am
anyone subscribe to the theory that all the antibiotics put into our food chain are helping create and sustain this problem? It makes sense to me.....
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 09:35 am
Great humanity has bought some more time....It was getting scary there for awhile..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 09:51 am
Er - I think it is still being researched!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:56 am
Quote:
Are there virophages?

I'll give a tentative no. There are mechanisms whereby the immune system might produce antibodies to a viral antigen so that phagocytic cells (eg, macrophages) could recognize them, but I've never heard of any viral antigen that they could recognize without their being tagged by antibodies.

Quote:
anyone subscribe to the theory that all the antibiotics put into our food chain are helping create and sustain this problem? It makes sense to me.....

I don't know that antibiotics reach us directly through our food supply, but they do create antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria that live in our food. Not hard at all to imagine how we might become infected with a resistant strain of salmonella, or e coli, or... name your infectious bug.

Oh, and to digress -- there is a (fairly) new virulent strain of cholera out there...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:58 am
Oh - fabulous!!!

Thanks for the phage-info - fascinating.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 11:09 am
Of course, I could be wrong.

Meant to include, but forgot, how the body deals with viral infections...

When a virus sets up residence in a cell and starts to replicate it, the cell takes bits of the virus and puts them on the outside of the cell. The immune system has cells called cytotoxic (or "killer") T cells that recognize this distress signal and kill the infected cell. This is actually the problem with HIV. Because the virus infects cells of the immune system (cells that produce antibodies), you end up with one part of the immune system methodically killing off cells of another part of the immune system. It's a virus with a highly developed sense of irony.
0 Replies