Homosexuality is biological, suggests gay sheep study

Col Man

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 12:43 am
Link : http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993008

A study of gay sheep appears to confirm the controversial suggestion that there is a biological basis for sexual preference.

The work shows that rams that prefer male sexual partners had small but distinct differences in a part of the brain called the hypothalamus, when compared with rams that preferred to mate with ewes.

Kay Larkin and colleagues from Oregon Health and Science University found the difference was in a particular region of the hypothalamus - the preoptic nucleus. The region is generally almost twice as large in rams as in ewes. But in gay rams its size was almost identical to that in "straight" females.

The hypothalamus is known to control sex hormone release and many types of sexual behaviour. Several other parts of the hypothalamus showed consistent sex differences in size, but only this specific region showed differences that correlated with sexual preference.

The differences are almost identical to those identified by the neuroscientist Simon LeVay in his studies of the brains of gay men. His work has always been considered controversial, partly because the brains he studied were mostly from men who had died of AIDS. So it was not clear whether the differences were related to the disease or to sexual preferences.

continued at above link.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 955 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 03:56 am
They are the ones that DIDN'T make a ewe-turn?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 04:03 am
yeah they prefer ba-ba to bleat-bleat.....
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 04:14 am
You up? Heading towards 8.30pm Sat nite for me, gonna get me some serious sack-time.

You must have a hell of a lotta fun checking out those stories. I sort of think anyone who devotes his life to observing sheep doing it with same-sex partners needs even more observation themselves. I have mental images of researchers in white coats behind a desk - in a field - waving score cards.
Quote:

"Well that's a total score of 22 for activity, but only 17 for technique". "Yes, it does pay to bring along some flowers and a video to help break the ice".
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 04:19 am
Here's one I picked up in the paper. Yours, gratis. Dead set, I think 'researchers in white coats' ARE the most dangerous set of perverts loose....

Quote:
Scientists have known for over 100 years that insect genitalia provide some of the best clues to their classification. But examining them once the insect is dead is often a difficult task, so they devised what is called a Phalloblaster...

strange science
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 04:20 am
I have actually WORKED for CSIRO. Please don't mention it to anyone.........
0 Replies