sentence check please

bmo

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:17 am
A. "Death is a mysterious enemy of separation. It is so powerful with no respect either for young or old, good or bad, Christian or non-Christian, nor has it offered a guarantee that it would come with a "peaceful and comfortable release."

Is the above paragraph okay?

1. Is "...respect either for young or old" correct?
Should this be: "...respect for either the young or old?" Or how about: "It is so powerful with no respect for anyone, either young or old, good or bad, Christian or non-christian, nor....?"

2. "Nor has it offered a ..." Is this correct? Or should it be:
"Nor does it offer a..."

B. Guided by Holy Spirit. This should be "Guided by the Holy Spirit." Am I right?

C. I did not quite appreciate Psalmist said in Psalm 39:5. This should be "I did not quite appreciate what Psalmist said in Psalm 39:5." Am I right?

C.

thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,046 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Mister Micawber

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:08 am
Hi BMO,

It's me in the capital letters below, but I am not shouting; I am just separating my words from yours:

A. "Death is a mysterious enemy of separation. [THIS MAKES IT SOUND LIKE DEATH IS FIGHTING SEPARATION; ALSO, THERE IS NOTHING MYSTERIOUS ABOUT DEATH-- REPHRASE TO: DEATH IS THE ENEMY THAT SEPARATES, OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.] It is <b>very</b> powerful, with no respect <b>for either</b> young or old, good or bad, Christian or non-Christian, <b>and it offers no</b> guarantee that it <b>will</b> come with a peaceful and comfortable release."

B. Guided by <b>the</b> Holy Spirit.

C. I did not quite appreciate <b>what the</b> psalmist said in Psalms 39:5.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:03 am
Quote:
Psalms 39:5

I'm not familiar with this stuff...what does this mean, psalms 39.1 through 39.5?
0 Replies

bmo

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 01:32 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Quote:
Psalms 39:5

I'm not familiar with this stuff...what does this mean, psalms 39.1 through 39.5?

The Old Testament Book of Psalms, chapter 39, section 5.
The correction is much better, for example, no respect and no guarantee.

Thanks.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 03:01 pm
Sheesh, how many chapters of psalms are there?
0 Replies

bmo

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 03:29 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Sheesh, how many chapters of psalms are there?

The Book of Psalm was written by several people. (so the psalmist is correct.)

M-M is also correct to question "enemy of separation." I think "force of separation" is clearer. (death and separation are supposed to be on the same side.)
0 Replies

bmo

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 12:58 am
Mister Micawber wrote:
powerful, with no respect <b>for either</b> young or old, good or bad, Christian or non-Christian.

thanks, MM,

"with no respect either for young or old" would be wrong, right? the correct formula is:

either + noun + or + noun.

"for" can't be inserted between either and or, right?

is it okay to say "the young or old?"
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:56 pm
"...no respect for either the young or the old" -- both should be the same ("the" before each element).

You can say, "...no respect for the young, or for the old." Then you don't need the "either".

And just BTW, either pairs with or, and neither pairs with nor, so "has respect for neither young nor old."
0 Replies

bmo

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:25 pm
Thank you very much.
0 Replies

bashtoreth

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 12:38 am
Re: sentence check please
bmo wrote:
A. "Death is a mysterious enemy of separation. It is so powerful with no respect either for young or old, good or bad, Christian or non-Christian, nor has it offered a guarantee that it would come with a "peaceful and comfortable release."

A slight rewrite?

"Death is an indiscriminate and merciless enemy. It respects neither young nor old, good nor bad, Christian nor pagan. It offers no consolation of a peaceful, comfortable release."

Since death is swift and merciless, shouldn't our language in describing it be swift and merciless as well?
0 Replies

bmo

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 11:44 pm
thanks. the rewrite is much better.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 12:19 am
Quote:
A slight rewrite?

"Death is an indiscriminate and merciless enemy. It respects neither young nor old, good nor bad, Christian nor pagan. It offers no consolation of a peaceful, comfortable release."

Since death is swift and merciless, shouldn't our language in describing it be swift and merciless as well?

Nice....very, very nice. I like that.
0 Replies