Our Brothers Across the Water

oristarA

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 07:57 am
Hey Dlown,

Several big English-Chinese dictioanries in my hand say "advise" is a noun. Hmm, I don't believe them at all.

Hello McTag,

I suspect you are really missing Setanta. I guess that you might want to make a tiff with him again. Razz
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 08:01 am
McTag wrote:
Where is Setanta btw? I miss him.

Here you go!!!!!

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39558&start=0
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 09:05 am
Hey Oristar, I forgot you were there. Don't try to learn English from any of this recent stuff, it's confusing.

And my poem was not one of my best.

Unfortunately, with the spread of Microsoft software, American spellings like "advise" as a noun are becoming more prevalent everywhere.

But not in my book!

Thanks btw to GD for that piece about Noah Webster, and to Setanta too.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 09:20 am
umm, I wouldn't try learning English from reading forums... like trying to read the trendy music press here in France... whaaaat?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:27 am
Who reads trendy music press in France?

Much more reads forums in english!
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 12:51 pm
I don't read them,
I tried once and it is so filled with horrid trendy people speak (possibly not as bad as an interview I read in Sydney once where these two "creatives" from Saatchi & Saatchi stroked each other's egos, not that they needed to... "I'm so cool"... "me too!" errrrkkkk, I digress), on top of it being slang. My French is not that good yet. It just annoys me.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:37 pm
I believe I'm improving my english since I read forums.
(I also improve other languages)
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:40 pm
Francis - This is a good place to ask questions about grammar etc. Have fun, and welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 09:25 am
McTag wrote:
Hey Oristar, I forgot you were there. Don't try to learn English from any of this recent stuff, it's confusing.

Unfortunately, with the spread of Microsoft software, American spellings like "advise" as a noun are becoming more prevalent everywhere.

But not in my book!

Hello McTag,

Did you refer to the stuff - "Men who, although thus bound down by the almost invincible powers of early habits, have still exerted extraordinary abilities within their narrow and confined circle, and have, from the natural vigour of their mind, given such an interesting expression, such force and energy to their works, though they cannot be recommended to be exactly imitated, may yet invite an artist to endeavour to transfer, by a kind of parody, those excellences to his own works. Whoever has acquired the power of making this use of the Flemish, Venetian, and French schools is a real genius, and has sources of knowledge open to him which were wanting to the great artists who lived in the great age of painting."?

But I have to understand it, because our teacher wants to examine us with this stuff (we have to translate it into Chinese), Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 10:15 am
ohhh, it rears it's ugly head once more (that quote)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 01:07 pm
oristarA wrote:
McTag wrote:

But not in my book!

Hello McTag,

Did you refer to the stuff - "Men who, although thus bound down by the almost invincible powers of early habits, have still exerted extraordinary abilities within their narrow and confined circle, and have, from the natural vigour of their mind, given such an interesting expression, such force and energy to their works, though they cannot be recommended to be exactly imitated, may yet invite an artist to endeavour to transfer, by a kind of parody, those excellences to his own works. Whoever has acquired the power of making this use of the Flemish, Venetian, and French schools is a real genius, and has sources of knowledge open to him which were wanting to the great artists who lived in the great age of painting."?

But I have to understand it, because our teacher wants to examine us with this stuff (we have to translate it into Chinese), Crying or Very sad

Oh my God, Oristar, your teacher is a sadist! That stuff is AWFUL to translate and it's not even easy to read for a native English speaker! No modern English looks like that- it's very old-fashioned in style. (I would say, about 200 years old)
Still, if he wants to set a difficult test so you can show your skills... Very Happy

McT
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 10:19 am
Oristar, McTag speaks sooth . . . your instructor is sadistic.

Hey, McT . . . how are tricks?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 04:06 pm
Tricks are good, buddy.

Nice to see you back, Set, long time no see. We have missed your learned insight and idiosyncratic slant.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:49 pm
It is very nice to see Setanta back again! Very Happy
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 03:01 am
DrewDad wrote:
I've seen advise instead of advice.

advise is the verb - advice is what you give - different meanings

ooops this has been said already - I answered before I read the other responses

yes, Oristar's tutors are defninitely sadists
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 04:06 am
oristarA wrote:
Hey Dlown,

Several big English-Chinese dictioanries in my hand say "advise" is a noun. Hmm, I don't believe them at all.

My goddess! That is disgusting!!!!
0 Replies

moxiac

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 12:08 pm
btw... wats the difference between "shop" and a "shoppee"?
It always refers to a shop anyway
0 Replies

peakdistrict

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:12 pm
As I remarked to a work colleague, 'We may have lost a minor war or two to you people, but we DIDN'T hand over the keys to the language! After all, it is STILL called English....and the number of English speakers OUTSIDE the USA, far outnumber those who live there.......'

I am between two stools on this one, as I now live and work in NEW England!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 01:52 pm
They do call it American English, to be fair; a friend in Nuremberg, Germany was given the choice, in her English classes, of whether she wanted to learn American English or English. I think this mainly referred to spellings, but maybe some syntax too.
0 Replies

Allsixkindsamusic

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:43 pm
McTag my friend: your McUse of the McLanguage betrays a McNaievette: the corporate We will always understand the words because it may be to our advantage, and we know a good preposition when it's made!

[email protected]
0 Replies