The BashFul Bladder

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 03:28 pm
Is there a Freudian basis to the "Bashful Bladder" syndrome?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,640 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 03:48 pm
Link to "Bashful Bladder" Article

I really could not say, with any sort of authority, if there are any Freudian features to the ailment, but I could comment on behavioral underpinnings of the condition.

In our society, controlling bladders are often a major issue amongst parents and their offspring, often engendering great anxiety amongst children. There appears to be a direct connection, to the child, of being able to hold their urine, and being "good". Therefore, it seems reasonable that the act of urinating may carry thru some anxiety into the adult lives of some people, (Holding in=good, letting go= bad) especially the perpetually depressed and/or anxiety ridden.

In addition, males have a somewhat different problem. For some reason that I could never fathom, males are obliged to perform one of their most private functions in the presence of other males. Public urinals deny men even a modicum of privacy.

Penis size apparently is an important factor in many males' assessment of their self worth. Little boys look at each other and compare members in junior high school locker rooms. I would imagine that most men, who are less physically endowed than their peers in this area, would become anxious at the thought of publicly displaying their perceived inadequacy, and thus find it impossible to urinate in front of other men.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 04:19 pm
Are people who "freeze up", when others are present during attempted urination, possessive in spirit?
0 Replies

TPS

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 07:12 pm
Try this site:
http://www.salon.com/health/col/roac/1999/05/21/shy_bladder/
I found that there are oodles of sources of info at Sherlock, found that it's called parauresis. It appears to reflect feelings of inadequacy.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 10:43 pm
"You're in luck," Freud said to me.
"Analysis sets bladders free!"

(I was nervous, having heard reports
Freud was strange, and into 'water sports' )

He said, just drink these seven pints of beer
and when we're done you'll be a first class peer!"
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 05:29 am
"feelings of inadequacy"...very interesting.

Do women feel as "inadequate" as men, when this urinary problem arises?
0 Replies